Soft poop since yesterday.

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

meyori
Rank 0
Rank 0

Soft poop since yesterday.

Post by meyori »

Hi, I'm a new member and 1st-time owner of a chow. Hoping some advice. I got a 6 weeks old chow puppy last Friday. He does not eat much (I'm feeding exactly same dry food as the one breeder has fed.) and since midday yesterday, I noticed his poop is quite soft. I contacted the breeder and he suggested to add boild ground lean pork to dry food. My puppy ate OK last night and this morning. But his poop is still soft.

Should I worry and take him to a vet? or monitor another day? He drinks water which I do not know if I am giving too much or too little? As I have no experience, I do not know what to do.

I also realize now that my puppy is quite small as a 6 weeks chow. He only weighs 1.7kg. Should I worry? Thanks.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Soft poop since yesterday.

Post by Cindy J »

I am one of those people who wish breeders would not send a puppy to it's new home before 8 weeks....

Please take the new puppy to the vet for a New Puppy Check-up. All of my puppies are seen within a day or two of coming to our home. The vet can check for overall health and possible issues.

Often new puppies are stressed by their new environment and have softer than normal stools. But you need to have the vet check for worms.

Always have plenty of fresh water out for your puppy at all times. Don't worry about them drinking too much. I would only be concerned if they were not drinking enough.

I boil chicken with a small amount of rice until gummy. Mix this in with the food and the stool should firm up. Encourage feeding several small meals. At 6 weeks I would feed 4 times a day.

Keep us posted.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
meyori
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by meyori »

Thank you for your input and I'm sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

As I was VERY worried, I took my puppy to a vet right away. With a test, they found a worm and gave him a medicine. In few days, his poop appeared back to normal......that is a big relief. His tummy seems still a bit bulky. So the vet gave another medicine to be sure. Yesterday was his appointment for the 2nd vaccination. He was healthy enough to receive that vaccination. :D

I'm feeding my puppy about one-third cup of Royal Canine dry food plus boiled pork ( + a few drops of virgin coconut oil, moringa powder, homemade yogrut+ carrots/fruits etc.) three times a day. Lots of times, he does not finish what I feed. But he gained about 250g in a week. I hope this is still OK sign of his health......
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I think he is still a bit on the small side. Keep encouraging him to eat. It sounds like you are giving him some yummy foods. I am happy to hear that his poop is back to normal. It is easy for young puppies to become dehydrated so monitor his water and watch that his stools remain fairly solid. (and share pictures of your bundle of fur when you get a chance) :D
meyori
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by meyori »

Thank you again for your reply. YES. I am monitoring his poop....so far so good.
2758_17dec17-small.jpg
2758_17dec17-small.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
2798_25dec17-small.jpg
2798_25dec17-small.jpg (63.43 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Oh My Goodness..................... He is so cute!
Chowmom56
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowmom56 »

JUST SO YOU KNOW PORK IS DEADLY FOR DOGS!!!!!! give him some plain pasta. or potaoes
HAlexaMaria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HAlexaMaria »

Hello. I think his diet need to be looked at his diet. I strongly advice a raw meat diet. This is the most suitable food for dogs as this is what they would eat naturally. My dog wasn't eating well at all but when I changed her diet her health and mood really improved. She is much happier now and licks the bowl clean. She was never doing that with dry food, even wet food. But still wet food is healthier then dry.

Trimis de pe al meu STF-L09 folosind Tapatalk
meyori
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by meyori »

Thank you for your input.

It's been a little while since my puppy had a problem with his poop and now he is doing pretty good. Not sure if it's normal size for nearly three months old, but his weight is about 4.5kg which is more than double compared to the time my original post for this topic.
HAlexaMaria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: RE: Re: Soft poop since yesterday.

Post by HAlexaMaria »

meyori wrote:Thank you for your input.

It's been a little while since my puppy had a problem with his poop and now he is doing pretty good. Not sure if it's normal size for nearly three months old, but his weight is about 4.5kg which is more than double compared to the time my original post for this topic.
My femele Chow is actually smaller then the other Chows. But i still don't really know if its normal or not.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
chow315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow315 »

hi i have a beautiful dog that had a similar problem.my dog almost died . he had loose watery stools and when they they were close to solid they were yellow. my dog was diagnosed with epi . which us exocrine pancrateic insufficency.i would strongly suggest you take your dog to the vet. be sure and ask them if they know about epi because alot of them dont. there is a test that can be done so you will know for sure. my dog takes pancreatic enzymes tylan soluble and a b vitamin especially for dogs.within 2 weeks the diarrhea had stopped and my dog gained weight . he is now a healthy fat 14 year old. there is website epifordogs.if your dog has epi he will have to take the meds for the rest of his life. it basically means the dog can not process food properly. hope this helps
chow315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow315 »

hi beautiful puppy. i have a dog that had problems that sound similar to yours. have the vet check for exocrine pancreatic disorder.ask your vet if they are familar with it. if not there is an epi website where you can get alot of information. if he has it is easily controlled with meds