Menino

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Menino
Rank 0
Rank 0

Menino

Post by Menino »

Hello!
I'm Menino's mom. He is my first dog.and first chow! Our relationship has been great from the start. I've cuddled him as my own child and provided him with a sense of security from my family members and me. We love him very much and so far, he turned 9 months yesterday, has been very loving. We have provided him with cuddles and toys, songs, massages car rides and canine kindergarten school. He is very very sweet! He gets along with our friend's autistic children by being very gentle. However, I get a LOT of external judgement, such as:"Chows are so agressive, don't walk him near me! Oh! It's that black chow again, cross the street!." Some people love him, the neighborhood children know him and I have been very careful.about socializing him, nevertheless I suffer from prejudice regarding my wellbehaved chow. I had a woman yell at me as my chow was trying to approach me telling me she would make a ban on Chows (she was on something)... I knew that to scream would agitate my chow so i just kept curt. It seems that some people will never accept him. He is 9 months old and weight 55 lbs... What will people say when he's older? How should I answer?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Menino

Post by Rory's Dad »

Your answer should be to simply keep your dog on his regular routine. Let those that are accepting realize how well socialized he is and let them meet the dog. They will be the ones that change the perception. I have 3 Chows at the moment. They are the stars of the neighborhood. Everyone seems to have a bit of knowledge about the breed (THEY HAVE BLACK TONGUES). Kids stop by just to see if one is out in the yard and are disappointed it they aren't. People ask if they can pet them or say hello. That is my chance to say yes, and to instruct them on how to approach. All 3 of my dogs have been socialized and well trained. I often have a small treat in my pocket. New friends can ask for a paw or have a dog sit and get rewarded. The dogs love it. People get educated that the breed reputation is not deserved.

I do at least 4 or 5 "Meet the Breed" shows every year. Whether its at a pet store, an AKC show, or a local Animal Day, everyone benefits. My Chows get to show off and I get to show people that no breed is bad, they just need to properly trained and socialized.
Menino
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Menino

Post by Menino »

Thank you!!! I will try to do a meet the breed. It's a great idea! The meet the breed is the perfect way to introduce people to the chow breed.
Honestly, though some people just need to get some knowledge first and then make a judgement.