Adopting a male 3-4 year old

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

rufuschowder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adopting a male 3-4 year old

Post by rufuschowder »

Hello Community,

My partner and I have been considering adopting a dog for nearly a year and have been doing a lot of research. Here's some background: My partner grew up with dogs his whole life, and a lot of them, from American Bulldogs to Great Pyrenees and in between. He had an active role in raising and training them. I had dogs very young (from 1-3 years old) and later in life but only for a few years. (My dad's second wife had an older female Golden Retriever.) I had a cat, Kit Kat, for twenty years who I loved dearly and miss greatly. When was 6, my cousin had an Alaskan Malamute who terrorized me a bit. He was very active and jumped on me a lot. (I know that he was poorly trained.) The result is I'm a little skittish around very active dogs who jump.

We believe that a Chow Chow is the best fit for us. (We also live in an apartment in New York City, so need a dog who doesn't have a TON of energy. Don't worry, we have nontraditional schedules, so we can take our future dog for walks and provide him with so much love. (Not to get personal, but I can't have children, so our future Chow will be my child.))

We've found a dog, who we haven't met yet but will meet this weekend or the next, up for adoption at a shelter. He is about 3 to 4 years old and "super friendly." He was neutered this past weekend by the shelter. Okay, I know I should not get my hopes up because I have to meet him, but I'm writing to hear from people who've adopted adult Chows. Any advice? Any insight?

Also, this dog has Lyme disease. Does anyone have a Chow with Lyme disease? What should I look out for considering that most Chows are "lazy?" I just want to make sure that when we adopt a dog, we can give him or her the best possible life.

Thank you.

Best,

Megan
Ooof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Adopting a male 3-4 year old

Post by Ooof »

My chow chow pup has tons of energy but is also much easier to train than any other dog I have ever had. At the mention of a time out he drops the shoes he just picked up. its cute.

I got mine from an ad online and went to NY to pick him up. I made sure to meet in a public place and not at their home.

I am totally in love with my chow he is truly the smartest dog and fun and cuddly and sweet and really really beautiful! He looks like a baby cub bear and everyone at the beach thought he was.
Attachments
ooof puppy.jpg
ooof puppy.jpg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
rufuschowder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufuschowder »

Thanks for your response, Ooof! He's absolutely adorable and sounds like a wonderful, well-mannered guy. I can't wait to have my own! :mrgreen:

Do you remember where you found the ad online?
Ooof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ooof »

I will check on it, because I researched it so much and went to so many sites. But I know i have it bookmarked and will et back to yo on it if i do indeed find that bookmark. I do have the woman's facebook page, if you would like to friend her, and talk to her about a liter. let me know.

My Ooof was a little less expensive because his tongue is speckled and has not turned completely purple/black yet like his brothers and sisters. We fell in love with his uniqueness and we really wanted a black chow!

We were able to meet his mom and dad, and had to get the approval of his dad who was very nurturing over all the little pup. The dad was much more loving towards the litter than the mom and it was even cuter to see in person. We took a family picture too...
Attachments
ooof's family portrait.jpg
ooof's family portrait.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
rufuschowder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufuschowder »

@Ooof

Your chows are SO adorable! Wow! I hope to be as luck as you one day.

Please send me the woman's Facebook page. I would love to reach out to her and ask about her current pups and if she is expecting more soon.

Thank you so much!!
Ooof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ooof »

Only the little one is mine. The two adult dogs are his mom and dad and they belong to the woman I got them from in NY. her facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/denise.marcelluskolb

if you would like to be friends and share chow chow stories when you get your new pup, my page is https://www.facebook.com/sharon.voroschak

Chow (ciao) <3
rufuschowder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufuschowder »

Hi Sharon, I just added you. My name is Megan.