Male Chow Weight

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

patriciadrach
Rank 0
Rank 0

Male Chow Weight

Post by patriciadrach »

Hey everyone me and my husband got a chow about 8 weeks ago. He is the love of our life. Just a couple of questions is he almost 17 weeks old and is weighting in at 21 lbs. He has been at 19-21 lbs for the last 3 weeks. I was wondering is this normal? Also he doesn't want to eat much. We have tried everything to get him to eat more but he doesn't want to. We have finally found a food that he will eat he just doesn't eat much. I feed him twice a day morning and once I get home which is around 3 and I live his food out until around 7 pm. So my other question is how do I get him to eat more?
I just want to make sure he is growing the way he should.
Thanks for the advise.
Attachments
19029246_10207075800852657_6433049386046497243_n.jpg
19029246_10207075800852657_6433049386046497243_n.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Male Chow Weight

Post by Cindy J »

Unless there is a health issue I would not be too concerned. All of my pups had periods that they were off their food for a few days here and there. Then they would begin gulping down food again and they seemed to sprout up... Basically they all just eat when they get hungry.

So, if you have had him in to the vet recently and he has a clean bill of health, don't sweat it. If it is stressing you... you can add yummy stuff to his food such as small pieces of cooked chicken, cheese, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs.... BUT, he might become more finicky and only want yummy treats.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
constantgardener
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Male Chow Weight

Post by constantgardener »

I have an 8 month old Chow Chow, the 5th of my lifetime. For their size, I have found that they are not big eaters overall and plateau/level off somewhat in their eating at about the 4 month period after that initial huge growth spurt. And I too, have had them change their eating habit for a day or two, or three, especially during a real hot spell. Unless they are suddenly lethargic and not interested in a walk or play, or you notice an obvious change or lack of any bowel movement, etc., I wouldn't be overly concerned. How does he react to being offered a treat? Sometimes they do get stubborn around the food bowl and decide they are tired of the standard faire, sniff at it, look up at you and almost say, "is that it?"
Good luck.
BTW, your boy is a beauty, but you already knew that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk