Sensitive tummy dry dog food?

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

SusyandCarter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sensitive tummy dry dog food?

Post by SusyandCarter »

Hello! I'm brand new to the board, my hubby & I just rescued our first Chow boy. Any recommendations for sensitive stomach adult food?

A bit of background, our boy is 4 yrs old, has arthritis in his elbows and hips. He's a rescue from an abuse situation, a little nervous of people, particularly men, but warms up quickly if his Newfy sisters and I am with him. He's been acclimating wonderfully at home. Since we've only had him 3 weeks, we've been very slowly switching his food. He went through a few bouts of diarrhea, good one day then loose the next, and we had taken to the vet. Vet has ruled out parasites, all blood work is a-ok, normal liver kidney functions, electrolytes normal, everything above board. Doc thinks perhaps lactose intolerant or IBS. Been on bland boiled ck & rice diet last 4 days..

Since he's been great with the chick & rice, we didn't want to change his protein on him.. Was thinking of trying Merrick Lmtd Ingredient Chicken.

Our Newfy girls have different nutritional requirements as giant breed dogs, so any input would be welcome.
Thank you!
Best regards,
Susy
~~~~
mum of 3 furbabies
2 Newfy girls Chumley & Leia, and Carter, our first Chow rescue
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Sensitive tummy dry dog food?

Post by FurParent »

I never had any issues with stomach sensitivity with dogs but one of my dogs had food allergy. However this article might be of great help:

http://hubpages.com/animals/Choosing-th ... ve-Stomach

There are certain guidelines pointed there in a very understandable way. Go ahead and have a read.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I like the Merrick. My 3 chows are on the Bison and Sweet Potato blend. They like it and tolerate it well. I will say though, its more of a supplement for them than a full meal. They all get actual chicken breast (boiled) or ground turkey for dinner. They get the kibble to ensure they actually chew something.

The only time we have digestive problems is if they overeat. We used to put out the kibble at breakfast too, and that could be an issue. They also get a very limited amount of dairy (cottage cheese for breakfast, and American cheese for 'job well done' treats). Too much of the cheese product can cause upset tummies.
SusyandCarter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SusyandCarter »

Thanks so much for the replies and the info, we appreciate it greatly!

A little update: We did end up trying the Merrick Ltmd Ingred Chicken, but his tummy was still not great and was having bouts of runs -- so we switched his protein from Chicken and that really did the trick -- we found great food for him, grain free Health Extension Buffalo & Whitefish. He is doing wonderfully on it. He's also on Slippery Elm herbal supplement, that solved his inflammation in his tummy.

Rory's Dad, we actually do the same thing with his food. He gets a form of protein, lately salmon & some sardine, his supplements and probiotics mixed with a half of a boiled sweet potato, & and the kibble is added too on the side of his pile of sweet potatoe. He likes to switch from the crunch and the soft. :wink:
Best regards,
Susy
~~~~
mum of 3 furbabies
2 Newfy girls Chumley & Leia, and Carter, our first Chow rescue
dr.butcher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dr.butcher »

Our chow Charlie has a sensitive stomach. He did chicken and rice as well when we got him and we give it to him again from time to time. Currently he's on Hills Ideal Balance (chicken and brown rice) and has been reacting well. I also give him a little banana from time to time and that helps with soft/watery stool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk