New stray male, other dog pregnant, lots of questions

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

browndogtribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

New stray male, other dog pregnant, lots of questions

Post by browndogtribe »

Hi everyone! I joined the website today because the life of my fur-family seems to be taking a rather unexpected turn. Let me introduce...

This is Brownie. Husband and I adopted her in early September 2015, she was 3 months old then. She's currently (Oct 2016) a year and four months old roughly. These photos are pretty recent.

We did get to meet Brownie's parents when we adopted her. Her father was a very large, shorthaired cream colored Chow. Her mom was a rather small German Shepherd/Labrador mix. Brownie has always been extremely calm, loyal, trainable, and obedient.
Well, she went through heat just about two months ago. She did escape from the back yard once during that (not normal for her at all) and although we never saw her mate with another dog, we are now pretty sure she's pregnant. We realized this only today and after doing the research we believe she could pop any day. Taking her to the vet on Thursday.

Okay time for dog #2, he is VERY new, found him as a stray in our neighborhood just 2 or 3 days ago. We have named him Mr Bear. We are almost certain he's pure Chow Chow but we'd love some help from some experienced Chow owners. The only thing that's giving me doubt about him being chow is is small-ish size (46 lbs) and his color/pattern. Please let me know what you think!

We're trying to figure out whether he may be pure Chow and realized he may actually still be quite young. He currently weighs about 46 lbs. His balls (yeah, definitely not neutered) have definitely dropped and his front teeth are still quite ridge-y (young and not worn down).
His personality is just amazing... Husband and I both fell in love with this dog very very quickly. He's so obviously very intelligent. Though not inclined to obey any frivolous "sit" commands, he's not one to wrap his leash around a pole and get confused about it. And he's the cutest thing I've ever seen.

WOOF. I took him in two days ago, and today realized my first dog is also pregnant. I'm not one to throw anyone out anyone; i love all my pets and will do everything to keep them all safe, healthy, and fed. But I just need as much info and preparation as I can get, both for caring for a possibly pure Chow Chow, and for delivering a litter of puppies probably less than a week from now.

If you've got any helpful advice, past experience stories (especially of whelping!!!) or online resources please let me know!
And once again; vet visit scheduled for Thursday.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New stray male, other dog pregnant, lots of questions

Post by Rory's Dad »

Dog #2 is definitely not purebred Chow.