New Chow Owner With Questions!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

TsunOujii
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow Owner With Questions!

Post by TsunOujii »

Hello everyone!
I am a new Chow Chow parent, rescuing Blue just two days ago from a local pound. The site said she was a mix however during the meeting they said she was pure chow. I may be new to owning this breed but she doesn't quite look like that lion/bear you often see, her nose is quite long and her tail doesn't really curl up. Shes about six months right now and learning her skills fast, she is very sweet.

However as a new owner I want to also make sure she is a happy and healthy pup.
Do chows and chow mix's need any special care besides the brushing? Any tips for a new chow parent? I hear they can become aggressive and I want to do all I can to make her as sweet as possible.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Chow Owner With Questions!

Post by Rory's Dad »

Definitely a mix. The nose is OK as an older style, more traditional Chow, but the ears are oversized for a Chow.

Regardless, congrats on her she is a nice looking dog. And kudos to you for the rescue. She will appreciate you.

As a Chow mix or so, she will want to become bonded and loyal to you. You will need to provide her with leadership and direction. But at the same time, she needs socialization. Get her out to meet other people and dogs. Get her comfortable with this, and let her know that these are your terms. Stay in control and reward good behavior. Teach her and you will have that happy, healthy disposition.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Blue is a very pretty girl! Congrats on bringing her into your life. =D=
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
TsunOujii
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TsunOujii »

Rory's Dad wrote:Definitely a mix. The nose is OK as an older style, more traditional Chow, but the ears are oversized for a Chow.
Thank you for replying! I figured as much, along with the fact that she does not have a curly tail, its lopes up some but it cannot curl over in a Q.
Shes a happy girl, I just worry because she is very skittish towards people who walk around her and then is loud around them and other dogs..
Every once in awhile a dog enters your life and changes everything..