Teenagers Fur question

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Logan82665
Rank 0
Rank 0

Teenagers Fur question

Post by Logan82665 »

We have a 6 month old Cinnamon spade female. What's going to happen to her coat. We've heard several things from being a huge fluff ball LOL to being somewhat manageable. One other question we had was at her age she is 40lbs. Is this about on par. She was the runt of the littler.
Thanks
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Teenagers Fur question

Post by Laura »

Hi and welcome. As far as her coat she will shed her puppy coat over the warm months and her new adult coat will grow in for the next winter. Shedding season pretty much makes you wonder if the hair will ever stop coming out! Frequent brushing is a must or do like I did and find a wonderful groomer that you can trust and let them help you out. A good bath, strong blow out, and brushing is great for getting the undercoat out. No cutting/shaving! I take both of mine to the groomer monthly during the summer and I still have to brush them in between. If you plan to use a groomer regularly or even occasionally start now while she is young and make it a positive experience. Find someone sweet, gentle, and trustworthy. If you can't use a groomer for help I know that some pet supply places have do it yourself bathing areas with the strong blow dryers that you can use to help loosen the hair and get it out.
Buy yourself a good vacuum cleaner for your floors and prepare to use it a lot to vacuum up hair. :)
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)