New member and concern new owner of a chowchow

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Vanho1cm
Rank 0
Rank 0

New member and concern new owner of a chowchow

Post by Vanho1cm »

Hello i just got a 5 month cream chow yesterday her name is Bella she seems to be a very good dog she stays to herself. I would really like for her to want to be around her new family she keeps breathing really heavy and it has me worried i know she is prolly having anxiety due to she had to leave her mom chow dad and her brothers and sister. I was just wondering if i should be concerned about the heavy breathing and how long will it take for her to get use to her new owners
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New member and concern new owner of a chowchow

Post by Cindy J »

Have you taken Bella in for a "new puppy" check up? The vet can make certain that she does not have any ailments. Worms can sometimes cause labored breathing
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
zero001
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zero001 »

Late reply, but I am the parent of my 3rd chow. Each was different, one was actually a lap dog. But my experience is if you touch and play with them as a pup with all members participating as well having as many strangers interact, they become more social. Not just friendly towards strangers, but also will be more sociable and at worst hang in the same room as the family. As for the breathing issue, probably resolved by now.
luvchows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by luvchows »

A chow might breathe heavily because of stress, for sure - or excitement but if it sounds like they're snorting they "could" have an elongated soft palate. The muzzle might be short as well which could also give the dog issues with that snorthing sound. NOTE!!! This breed does not handle heat well. They might like to lay around in the sun for hours on end - but summer humidity/heat is NOT good for a double coated dog with a breathing issue. This does not mean the dog is 'unhealthy'. My first Chow was a heavy breather - we kept him inside thru the summer and BEWARE taking a dog for a drive in the hot days too - you might think you're keeping your dog cool, but if there is a breakdown of your vehicle, it can get pretty darned hot on the side of a highway waiting for a rescue truck to come and help :) (just sayin') And dogs die from heat stroke every year. So - I would recommend you ask the vet about this - do NOT let anyone flip you off about it because it can be serious - and you should have every opportunity to protect your dog from discomfort. In the heat/ and during stress the breathing becomes worse because the throat is swelling... it is NOT a good thing.

If you ever find yourself with a Chow that is over heated -do NOT submerse in 'cold' water- use TEPID water and soak the inside of the thigh where it is skin - the blood vessels shrink if you use COLD water - use the tepid - COOOOOOOL water and on the inside of the thigh, there's usually little coat, right? :)

With regard to the breathing, our breed 'does' breathe a little differently especially during a "who the heck are you!!!!" bark... they will sound like they're growling when it is just the side flap of the mouth passing air through it to bard loudly.

Also our breed SNORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRESSSSSSSSSSSSS... lol...

Hopefully I"ve helped a little. Have had chows for almost 25 years now.. pretty much seen it all :)
luvchows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by luvchows »

I just noticed your picture of your chow - GORGEOUS!!!!! and I bet by now that 'breathing' thing has resolved itself? I know the Brantleys - Dreamland kennels... nice people for sure - and I would really like to know if you've gotten used to the Chow breathing thing now? is your puppy better now that all is well in its new home? They get excited and they make a lot of sounds - some more than others...My chow is very vocal. I am sure you have a really nice pup there - and know that it is GORGEOUS... what a sweet little puppy dog!!!