Chowlab

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

mysticsmary
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chowlab

Post by mysticsmary »

In May of 2015 we became owners of a chowlab named Keko. Keko was 11 months old at the time, and we have had some trials. Our first mistake was making a purchase via Craigslist. I usually believe in adopting via the humane society, but when we scrolled pasted his photo we could not get his face out of our heads. We made the contact, and apparently the woman had lost her job. The first two months were crazy to say the least. From day one Keko has loved being walked, and on long walks at that. During his first day home we walked to Petco, and he met he future groomer ( one of my best friends). We walked about a mile or 2 everyday. Then suddenly one day in July Keko would not get up, and when he did it was hard for him to stand up. We got him to the vet, and discovered he had hookworms. In addition he has a incurable blood disorder, but now you would not know it. Keko has more energy than me, and often times can out run me. Yesterday was the 3rd time in 8 months that he got out, and ran and ran and ran. I was about a hour away from home, so I could not help. My husband is a bittle diabetic with muscle issues, and he had to run after him for an hour. Luckily by the time I got home he was back, and safe. We worry about if there is a next time what to do. We are used to Hukies, and maybe he needs different training. We walk everyday, and he has a backyard to run in, but he seems to never get tired. We need help training him.
Attachments
20160124_165137.jpg
20160124_165137.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chowlab

Post by Laura »

Well my first question is how is he getting out? I don't mean to state the obvious here but that is your problem. You can work on recall with treats/rewards but at the end of the day you need to fix your fence or whatever is allowing his escape. My biggest fear has always been that my two would escape so I put up a secure fence and literally check it daily. I have worked on recall and give a treat whenever I call them in to reinforce that coming when called leads to good things. I still would never trust that if they were free that they would automatically come when called though. Freedom is too exciting and chows are too independent.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)