Scared Baby

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Madeline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Scared Baby

Post by Madeline »

Hi everyone, I just recently acquired a 7 month old female Chow Chow. My question is how can I get her to stop being so afraid of people. She is a wonderful little girl and loves all 3 members in the house hold, but she will not even let my other family members even touch her. We fear that the breeders were not talking care of the older pups as they were not socialized nor were they ever walked on a leash. Socializing with other dogs is no problem and neither is the leash walking but she is very skittish around other people.
Attachments
12243756_10156185303880125_1923626840_n.jpg
12243756_10156185303880125_1923626840_n.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
candy15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Scared Baby

Post by candy15 »

Hi I had the same problem with my baby, Candy. Having another puppy her brother shih poo(who thought he was a chow chow) helped somewhat she wouldn't be so terrified of people. She was not 100% cured but she learned from him some socialization.
Saraahnaraa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Saraahnaraa »

Im worried thats going to happen to my new baby, i read alot of stuff on google about chows before we were even close to getting him home (hes coming from another state) what ive read is that they need to be exposed to different people and animals wile their still this young to break them of possibly becoming hostile toward strangers in the future. Im sure since shes so young still as long as you keep the strangers around more often, and hold her wile introducing them to her it will help her feel safer. im not 100% on that but ive also helped raise a shitzupoo who feels better when she's held wile checking out a new person.
-Sarah & Little Bear
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I guess I am wondering what the question is, because you seem to already know the answer. You need to get her out and meeting as many people and other dogs as much as you can. Take her out to the pet stores, to the dog park, to an elderly housing home, to a childrens center. Bring her with you to extended family get togethers. Introduce her to every one that you can and let her get comfortable. Take her to a bus stop and just let her hang out and say hi to everyone. Walk her around the neighborhood and check out who ever happens to be around.

Don't wait. She needs to do this all as young as possible. She needs to be greeted by all types of people...old, young, inbetween. Male, female. Make sure other dogs are in the plan too, big, small, etc.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

My Buddy2 spent his first year in a shelter and was skittish about everything when he came home. We've had him for almost 3 years now and he is just recently not disappearing when people come over. He loved meeting dogs at the park but wanted nothing to do with other people. We chose not to push him but to let him interact when he was comfortable enough to do so. He actually joined the family on Christmas day & let several people pet him with no hesitation. I'm sure exposure is good as long as that exposure is non-threatening. For us, patience was the key.
Good luck to you and your baby.
Sukarjo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sukarjo »

I also have the same problem, and I'm looking for answers.
Lucky to find this great forum