Adopted Chow mix

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

TracyS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adopted Chow mix

Post by TracyS »

Hello,
We recently adopted a dog from a kill shelter that was listed as a Chow/Samoyed mix. We have never owned a chow. We already have a 2 year old Samoyed. We named the chow Bear, he is somewhere between 8-12 years old. We are treating him for low thyroid, arthritis and have treated him for Ehrlichia. He has never been aggressive with us. He is timid and she's away sometimes when we try to pet him but eventually accepts our touch. Because of the low thyroid his skin began to peel as new skin started to grow so we've had to bathe him twice a week, and though he doesn't want it and tries to get away he has never once tried to hurt us. The issue is between our Samoyed and Bear. When they play Bear bites Nikita's cheeks and thankfully only gets fur. He's bit his side and pulled causing Nikita to yelp a couple if times. Bear also bites at Nikita's throat. My question is: is this normal play for a chow or is he fighting for real? So far no blood has been drawn. If you aren't familiar with Samoyeds they are very loving and gentle dogs. It is rare for a Samoyed to be fierce or aggressive. Do we are concerned Bear could hurt Nikita. Can anyone give us some advice. We want to give Bear every chance, we've only had him a little over a month. We would really appreciate help. Thanks!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Adopted Chow mix

Post by Pinoy51 »

This play biting is common at least among my Chows.
You can see a picture of Joey 5 month and Simba 4years playing like that.
Nala my girl shows affection by taking my arm in her fang.
If the movspements are slow, no snapping withv abrupt turning of the head and If there is no growling but tail wagging its playful.
Great that you took the poor guy home with you and help him.
God bless you for that.
Best regards
Pinoy51
TracyS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TracyS »

Thanks for responding. There are times it seems like it is play. Bear will also do humping motions toward Nikita nut he also does this when my husband prepares to walk the dogs. Other times it seems like Bear isn't playing, there has been some growling a quick sharp biting actions that don't always connect with Nikita. We've never had two dogs at the same time so we are new to the interaction between dogs. I do realize they need to play but I believe we have to set rules to keep it from getting dangerous. Have you ever had to stop your dogs from fighting? Thanks.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Tracy,
Growling and the sharp snapping action you need address.
Give a stop command and tell "bad dog" or whatever you do to address unwanted behavior.
The humping you need to watch as it is a dominance behavior.
Joey is doing it with Simba, but Simba is tolerating it and he is the older and stronger dog, so I let it go.
As long as both dogs can cope with their interaction no need to interfere, they need to develop a stable relationship by themselves. You should only support this process by addressing unwanted behavior the same way you address this for a single dog when it comes to not jumping on a chair or taking food from a table etc.
dogs can tolerate some rough play and occasional yelping is not an issue as long as the other dog respects it and slows down a bit. if not it is time to interfere again.

Yes, with seven dogs some heated arguments, as I like to call it, are unavoidable.
I never had a real dog fight (open wounds etc.) but several shouting matches with furr pulling and threatening each other.
I stop those matches to avoid the wounds and the vet bills.
If it happens there is no sense in joining the barking and fierce growling by shouting at them.
They don't listen anyway. So don't talk or even scream etc.
First rule stay as calm as possible, so you can pick the moment to interfere and the dogs don't pick up more negative energy from you.
If they separate for a moment, move near and give a sharp command, like "stop". If they stop and look at you step between them and continue the stop command a few more times until they're indeed calming down.
Calm down as well !!! it is over. Don't shout now or punish etc.
Step away and let everyone go back to normal.
Later call them one by one, if they obey praise them for coming to you.
So award the good behavior, stop and ignore the bad behavior.
Never reach with your hands between them and try to separate, its nearly sure that you will get bitten. I know what I'm talking about.
If ever needed I reach for the neck area of both and hold them there. Don't try to pull them away, they're stronger.
I push down and pin them to the ground. I only let go if they're giving up any struggle.
But I'm 6.2 tall and 220 pounds. So this might not be for everyone as well.
There is no real recipe for breaking up a dog fight. First rule protect yourself, do not hit the dogs, don't shout.
Eventually using water or bringing an object between them might work too. I haven't tried this myself though.
I'm only applying the first two methods and fortunately only a few times over the last years.
Best regards
Pinoy51
TracyS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TracyS »

Thanks again for responding and for the advice. As I said Bear is our first Chow even if he's a mix his personality seems chow. We are doing a number of the things you suggest. I think because this is our first experience with more than one dog we are not use to the rough play. We are also noticing the Chow gives signals our Samoyed ignores as the Samoyed is still very puppy like at 2 1/2 while the Chow is between 8-12 years old, the shelter wasn't sure of his age. Plus Bear is arthritic and is on medicine for low thyroid, I've had other dog owners tell me that once the vet gets his thyroid stabilized his attitude will settle down.

Thanks so much for responding and helping.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm glad I can be off help to you and Bear.
You observed correctly that Chows have a more sophisticated way to communicate than most dogs.
Therefore there ability to communicate with other breeds is therefore a bit complicated and prune to error.
One of my mixed breeds is not getting the Chow "language" either, so she is a bit an outsider.
The other mix gets it and can be among the Chows all the time.
I realized that I should tell you the best way to break up a dog fight is to avoid it.
You're doing the right thing observing their interaction and interfere if necessary. Overtime you will be able to let the playfull "fighting" happen and stop the more aggressive interaction.
If you provide guidance and defuse any tension between them, fights can be avoided.
If the biting starts, it is too late and things get a bit ugly.
Best regards
Pinoy51
TracyS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TracyS »

Hi,
I was wondering if a Chow's fur is very coarse? Bear is battling low thyroid and his fur is growing back after the shelter where we got him had to shave him. But his fur is very dry and coarse. We've nicknamed him Velcro because everything gets stuck in it. Do you have any advice on how to improve the condition of his fur? Are there special products I need to use?

Thanks again!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm using Cod liver oil, one capsule a day oral. For old dogs vitamine C is very helpful.
My two oldies are getting 500 mg daily as well as Sally due to her mange.
I' m using "head and shoulders" shampoo once a week to shower them.
So far everyone is doing fine, Simba is the oldest Chow he is four years old and his fur is very nice.
I don't feed anything that contains wheat. A number of Chows incl. Sima are allergic to wheat.
That's all I do to keep their skin and fur healthy.
Best regards
Pinoy51
TracyS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TracyS »

Thanks. I'm transitioning to a grain free food, Wellness Core for large dogs. I have read some Chows can be allergic to chicken but have used chicken on advice of vet to get Bear interested in eating when he was on medicine that killed his appetite. In researching skin issues salmon oil was highly recommended so instead of chicken I've tried salmon the last two days and both my dogs seem to love it. How do you give the vitamin c? In pill form?

Thanks so much for helping me learn about chows.