hello from a newbie owner

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

cali.lynn
Rank 0
Rank 0

hello from a newbie owner

Post by cali.lynn »

Hi,

Will be using these forums a lot... Even though we have had dogs before this is our first chow chow. Long story short... We were looking for a dog for my teenage daughter and saw Teddy at the pet charity. It was kinda love at first sight and even though we researched him And the charity did their checks to make sure we were suitable etc... We didn't quite realise how stubborn he could be ...

So will be on here a lot because he doesn't respond to treats ... However he is a lovely natured dog. But at 8 years old we know he is in his senior years and will be set in his ways. He is missing his owner ( who passed away) and his feline companion of the last 6 years...

We have a lovely cat who is not ready to be teddy's friend.... But they are ok together.

So biggest problems

*very stubborn on walks and just decides he isn't ready to come home and just sits down.

* barking and whining if you leave him alone in a room.

*constantly asking to go out. ( we think he may just be trying to get home )

*hates the car... Took 3 of us to lift him in to get him to the vets for a check up and to register.

So any ideas on how to a least get some obedience from teddy.

He is lovely though I and loves being brushed
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: hello from a newbie owner

Post by maikinda »

So great that you adopted Teddy. The first thing I would tell you is give him time to adjust to his new family. He will fall in love with your family just like his last family in time. I can't imagine a chow that doesn't like treats, you just have to find the right treats. Have you tried fixing some baked chicken or liver and giving him small bites? You can find pure liver bites at almost any pet store also. I don't suggest buying any chicken treats.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
cali.lynn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cali.lynn »

Thanks. he is settling in lovely and has already decided to spots are his spots...He is so laid back considering what he has been through and is loving just getting brushed and his tummy and ears rubbed.

He is still upset that my cats won't be his friend.. but they are getting better with him. It's funny to watch them all move around without touching the floor.

As for treats maybe he just needs time as he is not overly keen on his food despite feeding him the same one he had been on .
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

First of all, thank you for giving this chow a chance. We have rescued two chows and I am grateful for them every day. Your experience reminds me a bit of our male, Loki. It took him a little time to just to his new environment. Be patient...it will happen. We have had Loki now for ten years. He was two when we rescued him. He, too, will not eat any treats except chicken or turkey jerky treats. I have never found another treat he will eat. He does love cheese, however, and he is always there when the cheese comes from the fridge. You will never find a more loyal companion! Good luck!!!