Happy to be Here

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

lovespoohbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Happy to be Here

Post by lovespoohbear »

I'm a new chow puppy mamma and proud beyond words. His name is Pooh Bear and he was 3 months old on July 11. I found this site while searching for tips on the housetraining. We're having a few issues and I would LOVE any tips people who have alreadt been thru this and was successful can give me!! I have a feeling I'll be on this site alot as I want Pooh Bear to grown up the happiest and healthies chow baby there is!! Thanks in advance for any help!
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Happy to be Here

Post by maikinda »

Congratulations on the new baby!

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
lovespoohbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lovespoohbear »

Thank you! We had been wanting a chow for quite a while but couldn't find any breeders near where we live. We thought we were going to have to buy online and have one flown in and then one day our dream came true. Within 2 hours of seeing the ad online Pooh Bear was home with us!!! He is pure puupy right now, into everything lol. He's learning what 'NO" means but will look to see who's watching when he wants to do something he knows he's not suppose too. And the last couple of days, when you tell him no, he takes his paw and waves it at us LOL. If we can JUST get the house training part, he is one stubborn lil chow. He was born in april, which makes him a taurus, double stubborn lol!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

He's a Chow, so house training actually should be pretty easy. You just need to make sure that you keep to a schedule that he can meet given his age. A three month old Chow (or any dog for that matter) can't be expected to hold for more than a couple hours.

What methods are you trying? Puppy pads, crate training? It makes a difference in how you approach it. With crate training, you have to adhere to a strict schedule. You are teaching him that the crate is his home. He will not want to make a mistake, but after so long, he really can't help it. With pads, you are giving him an area that is ok, but you must gradually extend the time periods, move it closer to his exit, and let him make the transition.

Chows learn very quickly as they are very intelligent. Be consistent. Allow him some time to figure out the house rules and what is expected. It might sound really optimistic, but with consistent schedules, and good ground rules two-four weeks is not unrealistic.
lovespoohbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lovespoohbear »

he actually does AMAZING at night.we work 3 rd shift so we put him in the bathroom before we leave. You're looking at 8 hours at work and when we get home he has not one time had an accident in the bathroom floor!!!! The second we get home we take him outside to potty. The problem is during the day. We try our best to keep an eye on him and when he starts sniffing take him outside but at least once a day ther's a poopy spot. When we first brought him home, we bought and used puppy pads, which he did use (or got close too the pad lol) but then a few people were telling me NOT to use puppy pads because we would have to RETRAIN him to go outside. What do YOU suggest Rorys Dad?