Hello from old Europe

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Nikaia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hello from old Europe

Post by Nikaia »

Bonjour, we are living in the south of France and my chow chow baby Aldo is now 3,5 month old.
He is adorable and since I got him, about 4 weeks ago my life has changed pretty much. Aldo is a male puppy old style with a red coat. His father is black and his mother red. Both parents have their ears up, as requested by the chow chow standard.
Aldo's ear are still floppy and now I'm wondering if they ever will come up?
I would like to know, if someone has had the same "problem"? It is not really a problem, because nothing will change, if his ears will not come up, I do not want to start breeding or participating in shows.
I know it is a matter of time, and my question will be answered by his development, but I'm a bit unpatient, therfore I ask the question.
Many thanks in advance
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hello from old Europe

Post by Rory's Dad »

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your Chow pup.

If both parents had conforming ears, then I wouldn't anticipate a problem. Pics would help though. 3 1/2 months is still a bit early, particularly if he is on the larger or heavier side.

The ear posture really is about bone mass and muscle memory. You can encourage that by sprinkling a bit of gelatin onto his food (in the US, Knox Gelatin, unflavored is a good choice). It is helpful to build the bone structure a bit quicker.

To assist with the muscle memory, you could actually try to tack the ears. About 30 days should do it. Its an old handler method that works really well. Using a fabric/leather adhesive pinch the ear sides together about 40% up and tack. If the pup is really furry in the ear, trim down just a bit. If it comes undone, redo the tacking. Applying a dose of "Love's Baby Soft" will soften the glue at the appropriate time. Be prepared to brush out the ear hair though, usually with a flea type comb.

All that being said, I would only recommend the pinning if you NEED to show the dog at an early age. Allow the ears to stand naturally if you are assessing for breed stock (I would never recommend before 2-3 years anyway as you need to wait to that age for genetic testing). If you are in no rush to show, then allow them to stand naturally (6-12 months is not unusual).