FEEDING HELP!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

HappyChowOwner
Rank 0
Rank 0

FEEDING HELP!

Post by HappyChowOwner »

Hi!
I'm first time owner of a chow chow. I absolutely LOVE him!! His name is Pushistik and he turned 1 years old this month. Like everyone here I want the best for my family. There are so many confusing articles every where on how much and what to feed chow chows. So, i thought maybe Chow Chow owners will know better from experience.

Here's what I did and do now:

I fed him 2cups of Orijen Puppy Large Breed when he was a puppy. Plus 2-2 1/2 homemade food. rice, eggs, fish, chicken, buckwheat, vegies, and fruit. Now he's 1 so I switched him to Acana Wild Prairie Grain Free. the package says for 66lbs=2cups. He's about 55lbs and i feed him 2 cups but he seems to be really hungry.

Pushistik he LOVES FOOD! He eats anything. He doesn't seem to have problems with food so far..very happy about that.

I'm just worried that maybe he's not getting enough. Today i gave him 2 cups of Acana and he was still hungry so i made him 2 cups of rice that he gobbled down happily. I love this brand from Canada and Pushistik really enjoys it as well. I just wanna make sure he's getting enough. Also, Im very careful about not over feeding him so he doesn't have any health issues.

How much protein should chow chows have daily 40% or less or 60% or more?
Is grain free good for chow chows, or it doesn't matter unless they are allergic to it?
Is there anyone else that feed Acana or Orijen? If so, how much and what kind?

I'm just trying to figure out if i need to switch to dry food that has grains so he feels fuller and how much protein % the food should have. Or
on the other hand keep Acana and make homemade grains.

If this post makes any sense to anyone I will really appreciate any advice. or simply support if I'm doing good :)

Thank you in advance!

~HappyChowOwner~
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: FEEDING HELP!

Post by rmb »

my 48 lb 3 year old male Chow Chow gets 1 cup am and 1 cup pm Purina Pro Plan Salmon & Rice formula for sensitive stomach. He likes it and is doing well on it. Vet says his weight and coat are great and keep doing what we're doing. When I adopted him 2 years ago I started him on Wellness Core Grain free (what my other dog eats) but his poo was runny, not so with Purina Pro Plan. He seems satisfied. Good luck with your chow hound!
HappyChowOwner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HappyChowOwner »

Thank you for replying :)
I'm very glad to here your chow is doing great on just 2 cups. Pushistik is always seems to be hungry so I guess I gotta be strong not to give in haha
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Every dog is different when it comes to feeding. I go by what my dog looks like, I like to be able to feel the backbone without too much problem. You could have your vet show you how to check the weight. I think the food you are feeding is a really good one. There are going to be times when your dog may want more, cold weather or if they are exercising more.

Good Luck!

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2217 times