Hi!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

MeZeKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hi!

Post by MeZeKa »

Hi! Im Suzette with an male cream puppy we named Mikee.

I'm wondering if its ok to introduce a female chow chow puppy when Mikee is just 3months old? We want to add another chow so he wont be lonely...
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hi!

Post by Rory's Dad »

The general response would be that it is OK to add another pup at this point. But, consider the ups and downs. Overall, your Chow does not require a playmate if you are attentive and good Chow parents. Mostly they will look to you for companionship and leadership as they mature. So, if your only concern is that your male pup will be lonely without another dog, think that one through...

That being said, it is more likely that unless they are littermates, a male / female mix would likely result in better compatability. Unless you are planning to breed the two, and are prepared to be responsible and keeping them separated until a proper breeding age for both, along with the proper testing, etc, etc, etc, then you will need to make sure both are fixed. It brings along it's own unique circumstances regardless of intent, but they likely will get along after being introduced at such young ages.
MeZeKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeZeKa »

Thank you Rory's Dad for your reply.

We just got a sweet female chow pup! They like each other almost instantly, which is really great. :)

A couple of queries:

1)Are chows the jealous type? Mikee seems to dislike seeing me grooming Blaire (our female pup). He would not keep still till I put down Blaire.
2)Is it normal for chow pups to eat 4x a day?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

To answer your questions...

Chows are no more jealous than other breeds, but they can display their displeasure in a more aggressive manner that some others. My advice would be to avoid the issue entirely. Do NOT favor one over the over...how to do this? Consistency. Feed both at the same time. Make sure they both are required to sit/stay before the food bowl hits the floor. When treating, alternate equally. Make sure they wait their turn. Establish a routine, in the morning, take one out first in the afternoon/evening switch it up so its the other way around.

When it's time to relax, have them both in the same area. As pups, they will want to rough house. I would suggest keeping them on collar and leash if they get frisky. Step on the lead and keep them within their own space, while still allowing them to be in contact with each other. Don't let one up on the bed and not the other, etc. You will need to demonstrate that you are the boss, and they are equal behind you or other household members.

If grooming time is a particular issue, then consider how that is done. I use a grooming table for both my dogs. This isn't exactly their preferred spot, so its more of a chore than bonding time. If you choose to sit on the floor with them to groom (not a bad thing), then use treats to sooth the 'waiting dog', and switch out at short intervals. You won't have to do that forever once they understand the routine.

As to the puppy feeding, as long as the portion is small, then 4x a day is not an issue. Most Chows are not going to overeat. Feed a high quality food and follow the directions for age/weight. As puppies, I think a Large Breed Puppy formula is best suited for Chows. Calculate the recommended amounts by the number of times you wish to feed and divide. For young pups, smaller more frequent feeding is OK. But consider how often you wish to walk your pup. He should be weaned to 2x per day as he grows. Feed, allow a bit of time, walk. You don't want that 4x a day into adulthood.
MeZeKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeZeKa »

Rory's Dad, thank you so much for your reply.

Will do! Hope to post pics. Still had to figure out how though...
MeZeKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeZeKa »

Here's our Mikee:

And here he is with Blaire :)
MeZeKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeZeKa »

Guys, what color is Blair? Is she dark cream or red?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Definitely not any shade of cream. Appears more red to me, although could end up cinnamon. Generally reds will have dark (black) mask as young pups, which I don't see in the picture.

Is that a white spot on her head or just lighting? That would be unusual, but probably wouldn't last through puppy coat.
MeZeKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeZeKa »

Cinnamon? Is that same with fawn color? Coz the breeder told us she is dark cream (and obviously, we disagreed coz her color and Mikee's are too far off.)The breeder told us dark cream coz Blaire's mother is cream and father is red.

Yes, its a white patch of hair. She will lose that? Aww i love that of her. :( Though of course I wouldnt love her any less if she loses it, just sad if she does.

I notice a scattering of white towards her nose too... those werent around when we got her, though some hair on that area were already lighter.

Here is close up of Blaire face.
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

I would say Blair is a Cinnamon colored Chow. I base this on her nose coloring. Most Cinnamons and Blues will have self colored noses.... not black. These are diluted colors of red and black respectively. Red and Black Chows always have black noses.
I'm happy they get along so well.
MeZeKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeZeKa »

Hi WyoChowDad. Id be very happy indeed if Blaire is a Cinnamon.

The breeder said that he based his dark cream color label on Blaire from this site: http://www.xin-feng.nl/en/540e-red-fawn-cream.html. :?
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

Very interesting website. They obviously take the Chow very seriously and have done a ton of research. By their standards you may indeed have a dark cream. My previous research has stated that blue and cinnamon Chows have self colored noses and can also have lighter eyes. Most cream Chow puppies have dark noses at birth that fade as they mature. European and US standards vary as I am sure you have seen. I'm sure going to go back to the website you provided. I think they have some great info there. I'm interested in reading more on their raw feeding.
You have a couple of nice Chows. Please let me know how Blair's color ends up. I am very curious to see her final adult color.
MeZeKa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeZeKa »

Yes that site provided me with lots of info.

If that site is right, Blaire would turn lighter in a few months.

Thanks WyoChowDad and Rory's Dad. Will update this thread in a few months.

In the meantime... Happy with my hands full of two active puppies. :D
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

The observations are interesting in the posted site. Mostly they are accurate, but not 100%.

Chows should have blue/black/purple tongues and mouths regardless of color. High quality chows should also have black noses. Terms like grey noses in the cinnamon colored chows, or fading to a pinkish color in creams are indicative of a weaker blood line. That doesn't mean they aren't full breed chow, its just a sign that the heritage includes a less than desirable trait.

Now, 99% of the time this doesn't matter for anything. In the US, its a disqualification for showing a dog, but that's the extent of it. They still make great household dogs and pets.

So, again, if your cream chow develops a lighter nose, it's no big deal. I guess my thoughts would be toward the breeder site that seems to be pre-building expectations that coloring would be different than what is considered ideal.