Can a chow chow puppy or adult be alone from 1 to 9 hours al

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hadi.khalil2000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can a chow chow puppy or adult be alone from 1 to 9 hours al

Post by Hadi.khalil2000 »

Greetings everyone I am new at this website and as the matter of fact I will buy a new chow soon I wanted to ask you guys if a chow chow ((puppy)) or ((adult)) can stay alone for 1 to 9 hours max alone because my mom and dad work and I am at school((PS:in a building and no outdoors space)) because I am sick worry of thinking about it so guys please help me tell me if he can stay that long and I appreciate It.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Can a chow chow puppy or adult be alone from 1 to 9 hour

Post by DrewBear »

Just a quick reply for now. A puppy should not be left alone for much more than an hour. You risk all sorts of behavioral and psychological issues by leaving them alone during the impressionable first months. This is especially true if they're confined indoors (usually means a crate). Just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in when they have time.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Can a chow chow puppy or adult be alone from 1 to 9 hour

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with what Drew posted. It is not the best situation for a Chow, or any pup for that matter to be isolated for such long periods of time. Chows in particular though need to know that they are part of an established 'pack'. Despite what you may read here and there, they are not loners. They thrive on attention and in knowing that they have a defined purpose. Socialization is not only important, it is an absolute must. A chow pup needs to meet and greet all sorts of people (young, old, male, female) and other dogs (big, small, aggressive, shy).

That being said, you also need to allow a schedule that will allow proper house-training. A young pup certainly can not wait several hours to wait for you and head outside to 'do his business'. An adult dog, properly trained, can 'wait' for the normal work day if needed. But not puppies. You will need to start with a 2 month old dog at at least every 2-3 hours or so. Each month you could add time assuming they are walked right after feeding.

To be honest, your situation does not sound ideal for introducing a pet. If you are concerned about a dog spending up to 9 hours alone, then you do not have the time to properly train and socialize a chow. To properly adapt a puppy, you will need to spend at least 15 minutes AM and PM walking the dog. This is for both proper excercise and housetraining. Introducing the dog to other people and dogs is necessary and should be at least another couple hours a week. The dog should also be trained to follow basic commands such as sit, stay, wait, down, off, leave it. Easily that could be another hour per day in the beginning, otherwise you will end up with an undisciplined dog who runs your household without consequence. Don't make the mistake of thinking that this is a minor issue. Chows have developed a reputation as an aggressive breed and i can guarantee that 95% of those issues are the direct result of improper training/socialization.

How would you feel to be the owner of the dog that bit mom and had to be put down because he wasn't taught how to behave and react properly? Chow pups are super adorable balls of fluffy fur. They may be the biggest impulse buy in all of the pet world...but they very quickly become adults and are ready to display their own mindset.