New to the group mom of chows for 18 years

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

KDEHOFF
Rank 0
Rank 0

New to the group mom of chows for 18 years

Post by KDEHOFF »

Hi I'm Kristy
My first chow was Bear my husband got him for me as wedding gift when we were married . He didn't like me being home alone all day an night while he worked . Bear was the best dog he loved me an my three kids as if we were his own . He sadly passed of old age a year an a half ago . I currently have two chows princess an tank. An a chow mix dexter who is all of 4 months old an well trying my patients lol. I couldn't imagine life with out my chows in it . With saying that I have a cousin who when he comes to my house always tells me that my dogs are mean an questions.why I have them around kids. I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this hard headed man understand that these are big babies who make noise to tell me when ppl are coming to my house . They wouldn't hurt a fly.
Please help
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New to the group mom of chows for 18 years

Post by ski »

People have such preconceived notions about chows it is hard to convince them otherwise. I was new to chows but then my son found a chow wondering the city streets who needed help badly. Ultimately the chow came to live with us and that was over 8 years ago. Even I was skeptical when our son rescued him. I have since learned the true nature of most chows. Yes, they are aloof and sometimes people misunderstand this quality. Also, my chow Loki doesn't feel the need to be responsive to most people, but never aggression. Our other chow, Frisco, is very outgoing and loves everyone. We had Loki 7 years when we had our first grandchild. I was not sure how he would react (he is not fond of cats or small animals). Well...our grandson was just days old when introduced to Loki. He sniffed him from the top of his head to the heels of his feet (this took some time). He then gave him a big lick on the forehead and from that time they have been best friends. Loki always greets him the same way...a big lick on the forehead.