Is my dog really a chow?

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jellybabyboss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is my dog really a chow?

Post by Jellybabyboss »

Hi everyone,
2 months ago I saw an adorable ill fluff ball on the web for sale, as we were looking for a puppy we decided to have a chow.... We have only ever had rotties before and thought a change might be nice! So Pandora a lovely sweet lil girl house trained her and all seems good She gets on well with out 8 yr old rottie and is QUITE obedient. Today 2 strange things happened 1st she jumped over the baby gate I have across the lounge door, this was from sitting she never even took a run up! I didn't think chows could do that?
2 nd I was walking her in the woods and she suddenly just bolted and ran faster than I ever saw Herron before and would not come back no matter how much I shouted and called her back with a treat. She ran o far I could not catch her and luckily a couple found her and heard me calling. I don't know why she did this she has never done that before, when I got to them she had her tail down and didn't want to continue her walk she pulled toward the car and got straight in. Am I reading too much into this as a new puppy owner ( she's 6 months old)
Any advice will be accepted gratefully
Lisa
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is my dog really a chow?

Post by DrewBear »

Some Chows are more athletic than others, so jumping ability and speed are within range for a 6 month old Chow. Ignoring your calls and treats are very Chow-like. :) She probably caught whiff of a squirrel, rabbit or something imaginary and decided to give chase. That's why very few of us let our Chows go off-leash.

Any photos?
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is my dog really a chow?

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep, that complete disregard for recall is complete chow. I would recommend that you never allow free roam unless you have a very special dog.