does my chow look purebred? i have my doubts

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

tremays
Rank 0
Rank 0

does my chow look purebred? i have my doubts

Post by tremays »

I purchased her from a friend of a friend. didnt have papers. but i seen mom and dad, both had purple/black tongues but my chow tongue is about 80%purple and still pink around edges. everything else looks to be about right. ,she is a 6 month old. also i got questions about the food to feed her i recently changed her from kibbles and bits to blue buffalo wilderness puppy. because she didnt seem to like the kibbles and bits. but she really wont eat the blue buffalo either. i dont think she likes dry food but the vet told me to give her dry food because can food isnt as helpful to her teeth. so what do you all feed your chow. and she never barks. lol. she make pig like noises is this normal in chows
Attachments
CAM00146 (Medium).jpg
CAM00146 (Medium).jpg (140.51 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
CAM00149 (Medium).jpg
CAM00149 (Medium).jpg (127.98 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
CAM00136 (Medium).jpg
CAM00136 (Medium).jpg (160.34 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: does my chow look purebred? i have my doubts

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, that's chow. Tongue/Mouth may darken with a bit of age, but its hard to say. Even purebred Chows can have pink in the mouth, its not a sign of a mix, just a disqualification for Show Dogs.

As for the food, don't change it frequently, they have sensitive tummies. Start with whatever the breeder used unless its really poor quality. Even then, use a slow mix to better quality food. Unless you are prepared to switch to a raw diet, he has no alternative to kibble. You can experiment with different flavors (chicken, beef, salmon, bison, etc) but is should be done slowly. That can get expensive if you are catering to find his preference. I, personally, would settle on a high quality food that is formulated to a large breed puppy (at 6 months he still need puppy). He will not starve himself if that is what is offered. He may skip a meal here and there, but will not starve.
Cheesie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cheesie »

He looks kinda like my chow that was mixed with 1/4 husky. Cute. Mixes are good too!
veganlady
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by veganlady »

What a great looking dog. Looks like a chow chow to me. I've only had experience owning adult and senior chows. If you really want to know if your chow is purebred, you can do a dog DNA test. It's pretty simple and you'll know for sure what your dog's breed is.

Enjoy life with your chow chow.
~VeganLady
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

Your puppy looks like a pure Chow to me. As Rory's Dad said the pink in the tongue is not an absolute indication of a mix breed but a disqualification for showing. I didn't have much luck with Blue Buffalo either. My 9 month old female gets Diamond Puppy kibble at will. I supplement that with chicken or beef in the evening. I've always given my Chows some meat everyday. It is expensive but I don't mind.
Your girl will bark if and when she has a reason but the snorts and "pig noises" are normal for Chows.
KickButtowski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KickButtowski »

She looks pure to me , our chow looks like her also :D at first we're kinda confused if she's pure or not but then as she grows up she looks definitely a pure bred chow :lol: don't worry too much as long as you love her she will be a great buddy :wink: