Everyone meet Pete!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Peterbilt »

As it stands right now I can't hold in my joy and happiness. To get another chow has me almost on pins and needles today.

Little back story, I adopted my late chow ( god rest his soul) from a very irresponsible breeder who was abusing them. He was 6 months old and already set in a lot of ways. It took me and my other half loads of time, but after about 3 weeks I had him melting in my hands like butter. So loyal, such an outstanding and at the same time very independent breed. I could never get him to trust a person to touch him, especially males, I even read y'all's blog about socialization, ( the excerpt from that chow book) signed him up for classes, nothing did it for him. He was not aggressive just very scared. I got him to where he would tolerate it , and that was about it.
(Before I get teared up lemme change the subject)

But I feel now I can move on from my boy on the rainbow bridge , and give my love in my heart to another boy so he can make it whole again. It's been a while!

I have never started off so fresh though 7 weeks is so new to me for a chow chow. I am scrambling to find info on this dang blasted phone and it just ain't working. Been trying for a while.

This is all I can gather:
- lots of socialization( not a problem because him and my littles(schnauzers) will be everywhere!)
- puppy training early

What about toys? I mean I'm not trying to get y'all guys to write a novel, but I'd love to get info on what to start when I get him either tomorrow or Saturday. If my driver can get a load to where the pupperoo is.

Oh yes pictures, I'm sure y'all wanna see him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Sirchow »

Your baby is beautiful and I am so glad you have found another chow to help fill the gap left in your life. They get right into your heart these chows and leave such a hole when they leave. Congratulations Pete is adorable.

I would say for toys....something snugly to comfort a puppy just left home, something to really get those teeth into when he wants to gnaw your hands and trouser legs so a length of platted knotted rope and I know everyone says chows don't play with balls but ours have all enjoyed a squeakie tennis ball type toy and Izzie and Isla both play fetch and can both catch a ball which I know is fairly unusual. Mine do like their squeakie toys. Hope that helps :)

PS ask all the questions you need to its the best way to learn though a lot of the answers will come up if you search the key words.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Peterbilt »

Thank you for replying sirchow!

I bought and brought some toys along. Our driver fell through on getting a load so off 1200 miles to go and get my little love.

As far as squeaky tennis balls and just tennis balls alone, my late boy loved them dearly and only played with balls. The only other toy he used to touch was a frog that made electronic noises. He was buried with both.

There is definitely a big gap right now, and it hurts. I'm ready to go get my boy!

As far as food, should I buy some pup food? And I feed my other dogs taste of the wild wetlands formula. Would this suffice saying it's all stages or would I need to buy him a good pup food.

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

When a puppy arrives at its new home more often than not it will get an upset tummy from the stress so you should keep your baby on the same food the breeder has it on for at least a fortnight. (most breeders will give you a bag of food away with you.) Use that time to research the best food you can find in your area and then over the next week to ten days slowly mixing the two you can shift him over to the one of your choice. Chows are better on large puppy food if there is a choice as they need to mature and grow slowly and steadily for healthy bones and ligaments. I would avoid wheat, corn and brewers yeast as these can all cause skin problems as a personal thing I have found chicken to quite a bad allergen for two of my dogs and a few others I know of too, so I prefer to feed fish or bison or venison. These being lower in fat normally. A puppy needs some fat but some foods have way too much. These are just my thoughts I am sure others would have different advice.

Good luck with your L O N G journey. I hope it all goes smoothly and safely and Pete is home very soon. :)
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Pete is adorable, congratulations. I would agree with Siriol about the food, you don't want to do anything to upset Pete's tummy during the move to your home. As far as balls go, Cocoa loves squeaky balls but she doesn't fetch. She plays with them like a cat would, bats them with her paws, pounces on them and throws them in the air with her mouth. :lol:
Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Peterbilt »

Hahaha that's exactly what me deez would do! Throw it around having a jolly time with himself. Gotta work till 6 or 7 then off to drive 9 hours one way

DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Peterbilt wrote:As far as food, should I buy some pup food? And I feed my other dogs taste of the wild wetlands formula. Would this suffice saying it's all stages or would I need to buy him a good pup food.
Congrats & safe driving to pick up Pete. My pup likes Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy kibble, but I'm sure each pup has their personal preferences. This site has good info about dog food: http://dogfoodadvisor.com/
Stick to those rated 4 or 5 stars.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Peterbilt »

Thank you drew I was looking at that one or the venison and bison.

..... Only like 20 minutes till I'm there!

Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Peterbilt »

So excited!

Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Your baby is adorable! Hello Pete! My chow's fave toy is her rope bone. I had to stock up on several so I could wash one and she would still have one to munch on. It came on really handy when she was on her biting phase. I also got her terry cloth teddy bears and stuff toys. Other fave toys are scarves and teething bones. Tennis balls and squeaky toys were wasted on mine.
Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Peterbilt »

If he is 13lbs at 7 weeks how big will he be? Anyone?

Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Those last photos are precious.
Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Peterbilt »

DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Peterbilt wrote:If he is 13lbs at 7 weeks how big will he be?
There are many "dog weight calculator" sites. I've used this one: http://www.puppychart.com
My pup was ~12 lbs. at 8 weeks and that site predicts his adult weight will be in the 50-60 lbs. range. I've noticed that my pup's weight gain rate is not consistent; he has growth spurts some weeks. So take those calculations with a grain of salt. They will almost certainly change occasionally.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Everyone meet Pete!

Post by Peterbilt »

Hmmm says he will be about 75lbs big boy! Hehe.

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Pete is beautiful and looks like he is going to be a big chunky boy :)