New chow pup

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

XploZiV
Rank 0
Rank 0

New chow pup

Post by XploZiV »

Hello,

I'm from Belgium, and since last week a new Chow pup has been around the house.

Actually I've bought a house with a friend of mine, and he and his girlfriend are the ones who bought the dog.
Some parts of the house are separated (it's a bit like a multi-family home), but some aren't yet,
so I decided to look after the dog too, because I'm a real animal lover.

I'm excited and also a bit nervous as I grew up around cats, so I'm a bit new to having a dog.
So I'm probably a bit over-worried or too caring at the moment :D

He's 4 months old and does seem to listen to everyone around the house, so I guess he's a real friendly pup.
There's a shared garden we are trying to fence off at the moment so he can also run outside.

He does already know the sit command, but from time to time he does seem to ignore it :wink:

We also work with a bench, which is already large enough to keep him as an adult.
I've read several discussions on the use of a bench. Some think it's not nice to have him in a cage,
but we do not put him in there when he does something wrong. The only time he goes in it, is when nobody's home,
like when we all are working, at night,or when the house gets cleaned. So it's his own private place he can sit in.

He does have a bit of a problem with the cats that were already living there. 3 Sacred Birmans. I hope they will eventually all adapt, but if
not, when the house is completely finished, it will be possible to separate them.

Next week he will receive a final vaccination and will be allowed to go to a dog training school.

But as for now, I see no real problems. He does what a pup does, sleeping, eating, playing, and sometimes he's being stubborn and runs around the house like
a mad man (which is very funny to watch) :D

I always say : Knowledge is power, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot of info and share a lot of experiences, so I can be a great carer for this beautiful animal too!
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New chow pup

Post by maikinda »

Congratulations on the new addition to the family. Your puppy is beautiful! Training is the key to having a great pet, glad to hear your pup will be going to school. Pat Miller has a great website with information you might find helpful. http://www.peaceablepaws.com/pat-miller.php

Good luck!

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New chow pup

Post by Sirchow »

You have a beautiful baby chow there that sounds very typically chow. Mine live with two cats and get on fine. The trick is to have bits of the house that only the cats can go in and one day they will come out and tell him to behave when they get brave enough. We use a pet gate on the stairs and the cats have upstairs as their safe place.

By the way we call the mad chow running in circles "Zoomies" :D Mostly they continue doing that all their life often zooming to and from a toy or a treat. I think it is a bit like the way a cat plays with a mouse.

Chows are not the easiest dogs to train but that to me is what makes them so full of character...they are more like cats in nature. They will do things if they can see the point but seldom take to repetitive training as they cant see the point once they have done something a couple of times so you need to tailor the training to take that into account.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.