Milk formula for days old chow

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

katdi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Milk formula for days old chow

Post by katdi »

Hi, everyone.

I'm new here. I'm so thankful that I found this forum because I badly need insights from chow owners/ lovers. Anyway, I have a chow named Fifi. She's turning 2 yrs old on May, and she just gave birth to 6 cute puppies yesterday. That was her first pregnancy. Now, I'm kinda worried because her pups eat a lot but I feel that Fifi's getting all stressed out because she has to feed her litters every now and then. Also, I think she's running out of milk. So I would just like to ask if it's okay to feed her pups with formula even if they're just barely 3 days old? If yes, what formula do you suggest?

Thank you in advance. Will appreciate all suggestions. :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Milk formula for days old chow

Post by Rory's Dad »

Not sure on the running out of milk issue. I haven't really heard that before, but i am not a breeder/expert on whelping so i would quiz your vet on that one.

Just like in the people world, some are better at being mothers than others. I think stressing is a normal part of it. For her to not even be 2 yet is a young in my opinion. Not likely she has had any OFA testing and really hasnt fully developed either physically or maturity wise. Kinda like a teen mom.

Anyway, i would certainly keep a vet in the picture. Both mom and pups are going to need frequent check ups to ensure they are in good health.
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Milk formula for days old chow

Post by Doppler »

I think it is better if you look for list of food that will help the mother produce more milk. Those pups are surely so cute, do you have any photos of them?
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage