Our New Puppy

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Our New Puppy

Post by Cindy J »

I have been pouring over this site for about 6 months reading as many past posts as possible, trying to refresh my memory about having a puppy.... a chow chow puppy.

We have had a few chows over the years. All have been beloved members of our family. When our last chow died 6 years ago, we swore we would never have another. My heart was broken.

However, over the past year I have been craving a new chow in our home. I searched for some time to find a good breeder in Texas. Our new puppy is our very first show potential chow chow. We are completely smitten with this beautiful boy!

Official name: Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit... Call name: Chance.

He made the 530 mile drive home with us yesterday... a real trooper! We stopped every couple hours to let him potty and stretch his legs. He is now sleeping at my feet.

I look forward to meeting people here and learning as much as possible.

Ps. Our two resident dogs are rottweilers. Our male rottie, Niko, is 4.5 years old and LOVES the new puppy. Our female rottie, Simone, is 3years old.... and not as fond of our new bundle. This will be an adventure. For now I am crating and rotating. Formal introductions will be done slowly.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Our New Puppy

Post by Rory's Dad »

Congratulations on your new family member. It really is tough to stay away once you've owned chows.

Dreamland has a great reputation, so with any luck you will have a healthy and long-lived pup.

I wouldnt worry too much about the rottie bitch. They are slower to come around, but she will probably be a great adoptive mom in time.

We are quite a ways away, but if you decide to show Chance, feel free to pose any questions. It can be a bit confusing, but is a lot of fun as well. I currently have 2 chows, a male and a female. My male only needs a Major to finish his CH and our female is just getting going.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Congratulations on the new baby! He is just beautiful!

Laura
Attachments
Micah B&W.jpg
Micah B&W.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Very nice looking puppy, he's adorable. Dreamland is a top kennel in the USA so you did your home work. They also have a dog they bred invited to tonights Westminster dog show. His name is Dreamland's Wanna Be A Billionaire and I hope he is there. I'll be looking forward to see your puppy grow, hopefully you'll post more pictures .

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I knew Forbes was ranked very high, but did not think to ask if he was going to be shown at Westminster this year. I will have to tune in.

Thank you all for the welcomes!

Rory's Dad, I am sure that I will have a ton of questions. Yes, we will be showing him. I am looking over show schedules and will be introducing him to conformation via small venues while he is young. Dreamland has kindly offered to help me with handling during larger shows until I gain more confidence and know-how in the ring.

Just after he turns 6 months there are three back to back to back shows here in Texas. We are deciding which we will attend.

Chance is a complete pill. (an adorable bundle of silly puppy) Doing all the crazy puppy things that make us laugh. I can no longer sweep my floors without crating or the crazy pup attacks the broom, with a growl, a "yap", and a pounce.

He growls at his food, circles the bowl, and then leaps into the center of it and devours it with complete gusto. He acts like a vicious lion, savagely killing his dead chicken bits, shaking them violently, before devouring.

On the drive back from Lubbock, TX our male rottie whimpered because he couldn't lick Chance the entire ride. Our female was a complete chit and told Chance on more than one occasion that she would like to de-stuff him.

Niko and Simone will only get puppy time through gates for some time. I am waiting for the newness to wear off some. Hopefully in a couple weeks they will get some actually time together. Probably sooner for Niko than for Simone.... For now Niko sits at the gates and whines. Simone stands at the gates and nervously half wiggles her butt, giving an uneasy snark from time to time. All the while Chance is reaching through the bars and wiggling and barking at them to come play with him.

But, I have to say................ We have not had one single potty accident and do not foresee any in the future. Chance cannot stand to potty on anything but grass. He has to trot across the courtyard, past the pool, and across the driveway to hit the grass. About three steps into the grass, he takes care of business!

He does let me know if I am dawdling when he needs to go out. This morning he even sat at the front door and let out a couple "woofs"

.... as easy as potty training is......... OB training is going to be a whole different animal. I am already working with him on laying calmly on each side while I brush him out.

.... did I mention that I have been reminded that chow chow puppies can also be little land sharks? :shock: :D

................ all of the dot, dot, dots are my brain trying it's darndest to grasp a thought, any thought. Someone please tell me what sleep feels like?

... sorry for writing a novel. :oops:
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

For anyone that was not watching, the Dreamland chow took BOB and was shown in the Non-Sporting Groups just a few minutes ago.

Congratulations to them...great looking dog.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/vi ... hpxtsfuuEZ

So very fun to watch. Dreamland is very happy! Chanelle (Dreamland's Startin' A Revolution) and our new puppy are cousins. We can only hope he is as gorgeous as the dogs that were in the ring last night.

Not to take anything away from the best of class winner, but I always wondered if dogs such as the poodle or bichon frise would win if they were shown in a natural form, no fancy cuts. I also thought the Shar Pei was amazing.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I wonder the same things too Cindy J. I am not a fan of the fluffed and cut dogs. Poodles tend to very well in shows, Chows do not often make it out of groups. Sad, but it just doesnt really happen very often.

I've attached the link for the Chow Breed judging.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/vi ... hpxtsfuuEZ

The last dog inspected is being shown by a good friend of mine, Tony Raposo. Luna is the dog, and she entered as the #1 female Chow in the US. She was awarded Select GCH. Tony is the Secretary of the Northeast Chow Chow Breeders Club. I am a board member and editor of the club newsletter. Please check out the group on FB. We have some great chows represented.

Was great to see some of these dogs. Very well represented in my opinion. I have questioned some past winners, but not this year. And i thought the winner at Nationals was very deserving as well.

Just a thought, but watching some of the other breeds and with the separation on varieties, particularly between some of the coat varieties (daschounds have smooth, rough, and wire), shouldnt Chows be allowed a similar distinction? Let me know what you think.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Thanks for sharing the video and pointing out your friend. It makes it more special when we get to watch people and dogs we know in the ring.

I wonder what it would take to get a separate class for the coats? It is like judging two different varieties of apples. (OK, perhaps not the best analogy) You are correct; if they give a separate distinct class for other breeds, they should offer the same consideration for the chow chows.

Is there an area on this forum that specifically discusses conformation? I am just wondering if anyone here has shown a puppy in the "Pre-Puppy" class. We have an opportunity to enter Chance in a show early May. At five months of age I am wondering if it would be a complete circus. It will be a fun circus.. if we decide to take the drive.

We are working on touching him everywhere and opening his mouth. Right now he is at an age where he likes to turn his head and reach for my fingers when I get close to his face. Thankfully he does like to stand for me and to be brushed from head to tail.

Any tips for prepping over the next few months?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

If fairly local, then i would take the drive and try out a pre-puppy event. They don't come up that often and it gets your puppy into the environment. Most local shows tend to be congested and its a great experience to walk your dog through and watch their reactions...does the tail go down, does he fight the walk when he's normally good, etc. It's also good for you to see what really goes on and how the rings are ordered.

I would also encourage you to get the pup out at every opportunity to meet and greet. Sometimes family touching/groping isnt enough. You will want strangers (i have only seen 1 judge a 2nd time in two years). Vary the contacts as much as possible (and that goes for any Chow, not just ones with ring aspirations). Young, old, male, female, human, canine. Start working on patience (lots of standing around waiting with the AKC shows), and crate training. You won't want your dog stressing out in a crate prior to a ring appearance.

Once you start on basic puppy commands, go beyond the sit & stay items. Work on 'stand'. Bait the dog in an upright position and have him just hold position. The 1st time a stranger goes to check his 'stuff' can be difficult. He will want to sit or pull away. And if you can work in a command like 'teeth' everytime you open his mouth things will go easier.

There isnt a separate section for confirmation questions. Several members do show their current dogs and many more have previous experience, so we should be able to offer some assists.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

The show is a three hour drive. There is one here in Houston for the same weekend, but it is still pending and they have not posted if it will be open to all breeds.

I appreciate all the tips and look forward to implementing them. Right now I am in search of a treat that will entice him. He does not seem very treat motivated. It might just be that he is not all that fond of freeze dried liver or pieces of cheese. I am going to try roasted chicken tonight.

For the "teeth" do you have separate commands for showing the bite and showing the open mouth? I am thinking about using "teeth" to show the bite and using "open" when I open his mouth for teeth count.

I do not want to over complicate things, just looking for ways to make the training consistent.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Cindy J wrote:The show is a three hour drive. There is one here in Houston for the same weekend, but it is still pending and they have not posted if it will be open to all breeds.

I appreciate all the tips and look forward to implementing them. Right now I am in search of a treat that will entice him. He does not seem very treat motivated. It might just be that he is not all that fond of freeze dried liver or pieces of cheese. I am going to try roasted chicken tonight.

For the "teeth" do you have separate commands for showing the bite and showing the open mouth? I am thinking about using "teeth" to show the bite and using "open" when I open his mouth for teeth count.

I do not want to over complicate things, just looking for ways to make the training consistent.
Yes, use "teeth" and "open" for showing his bite and to open his mouth. I was told to do it once a day but no more. I guess to make it no big deal. If you are going to show him here are some more tips:

Go to a couple of show without him to just check them out and decide if you really want to show your boy. I was told to do that and was very good advise. If you can go, try to go when the chows are showing if any will be there. If you can't find out what time ask me and I'll try to help. If so, there are booths at every show where you can start buying these things or online if you don't have them. Start using them asp so he get use to them. If you decide to use a handler, somethings you might not need but will use.

grooming table with a 36 inch arm (36 inches long and 24 inches wide)
variable dryer
show shampoo and conditioner
portable cordless fan (your going to need this in the south for sure)
show lead
metal crate
grooming tools

Start looking for conformation classes around your area held at most dog training places. Some are held on the weekend and others during the week.

Build a ramp for your dog so he is very comfortable on it.

Go to the AKC site and find shows in the past that had chows and see when they will be this year.

Go to Infodog.com and learn how to enter the shows.

Learn how to get points for his CH

Any questions feel free to ask.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Thanks for the additional tips.

I have shown in the recent past, but was showing rottweilers. I have sat and watched other breeds, but look forward to watching many more competitions.

Some of the items you mentioned I already have... others I will need to pick up in the very near future. I have a great table that I have covered with outdoor carpet to stop slipping. I need to get a grooming arm. I see them listed on PetSmart's website. I will need to see if theirs will clamp onto the table I have. My husband is talking about building an adjustable arm with 1/2" metal conduit and bolting it to the table. This will work for home grooming, but I am guessing we will need something portable for shows?

I loaded up on various show leads

I am curious about the shampoo and conditioner than many use on their chows. The breeder specifically told me NOT to use a conditioner as it would make his coat too soft and it would lay down. Thoughts??? With my rottweilers I use a shampoo and conditioner from "For the Love of Dogs". It is an Equiderma product that I began using to clear up skin issues with my female rottweiler.

Also what do you use for a spray when you are brushing out their coats?

We have a dog ramp and I will begin getting the puppy accustomed to walking on it at various heights.

I also have a couple wire crates, but I think they are a bit too large. I have the Midwest XL and Giant. I see that the medium is 30L X 19W x 21H. Would this be about right? or should I go with the large which is 36L x 21W x 26H?

I am looking at forced air dryers. In the mean time, can I use a regular hair dryer on cool setting? If this is a bad idea, I have found a local place that rents their grooming bays for the do-it-yourself groomers. They have dryers.

Thanks again for the tips!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Chance ~ eight weeks old. He is living up to his name "Intrepid Spirit". I snapped this picture as he stood and watched the neighbor using his leaf blower. Standing and observing and then trotting over for a closer look.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Cindy, if you have already shown other dogs, you know it's all about the routine.

Chows will take longer to dry than your rotties due to the double chow and thick fur. You could use a home dryer, its just going to take forever. In puppy fur, it actually could take longer as it's so dense it holds the moisture really well.

Most grooming arms will clamp to any table, they are designed that way.

As for your shampoo and conditioning choice, that is a matter of preference. We dont have the confidence to show our own dogs, so we use a professional handler. She actually prefers a smoother base and can fluff certain areas ringside. She actually had us have Rory carry a towel on his tail for some period of time to get it to lay flatter.

Use those show leads for training. Let him know that a different lead means different things. A standard collar and leash for regular walks and a show lead means it 'time'. Both my current dogs understand the difference and it's amazing to watch them differentiate.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

The 36L x 21W x 26H is the crate we bought first but had to up to 42L x 27W x 32H after Brutus was 1 years old. Brutus was 17 inches tall at the shoulder but grew another 2 inches. Use the crates you have and buy a blower or table instead. Also a yoga mat works on any table like carpeting but it will still be harder to trim his feet cat like compared to a grooming table.

As Rory's dad said a hair dryer could work but make sure it's on no heat. The blower I bought is the Metro Air Force Commander Pet Dryer and bought it before a grooming table.

I use conditioner on Brutus and his fur looks great but was told to wash him 2 days before the show so he is completely dry. I just spray water before combing/brushing our Brutus also so his fur doesn't break.

You will not have any problem showing your dog at 6 months old because he will have his puppy fur. A brush and bath is all he will need besides trimming his feet and below the tail.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Thanks for the additional tips.

Yesterday I gave him his first bath at our house. Chance was less than thrilled. He was even less thrilled with the dryer. But laid back in my arms while I clipped his nails. I only had to pause occasionally to rub his fat belly.

I forgot just how much fun a chow chow puppy can be. Oh my, his energy goes through the roof when I let him out to potty in the rain.

Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We are having the time of our lives with this puppy! Chance and our two rottweilers are now the best of friends. I do have to separate them at meal time because he has absolutely no respect for boundaries and sees nothing wrong with helping himself to their bowls. :roll:

I am so lucky to be able to socialize him a great deal. I work for a design firm and get to bring him to work with me every day. He has his favorite spots around the offices, but can usually be found stretched out in front of the big glass entryway watching people passing by. He meets all our clients with a friendly "woof" and a tail wag. Stands and waits to be rubbed under the chin and then goes back to his spot by the door. When things get to hectic he trots to the back of the offices and sleeps by the back door.

At 4.5 months, he is granted full run of the first floor. (except the bathroom because he loves to unroll the toilet paper and drag it down the hall.) :mrgreen: The owner thinks this is hilarious, but I don't like cleaning up the paper trail.

He is so confident! He briefly takes a moment to check out new things/people and then goes about his business, which is usually entertaining himself with a cardboard box or a tube sock tied in knots or anything that rolls. It is so much fun to sit back and watch him swat his ball... run and pounce on it.... then swat it away again.... until he has had enough... then rolling on his back and falling asleep.

He is getting quite good at standing on command and will let just about anyone check his teeth now (as long as they don't swoop in too quick over his head)

We are looking forward to a fun weekend in the Pre-puppy ring. Should be good for a couple days of grins... :D
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

So nice to hear and see Chance's progress. Sounds like you have a true winner in that one.

He sounds a bit like my Amber when it comes to play toys...save those paper towel rolls and throw them to him for play toy.

Sounds like he is well socialized, so congrats to you on finding unique ways to get him people happy. I'm afraid if i could bring my dogs to work no one would accomplish anything, especially with Amber, she is such an attention monger. Rory would just sit there waiting for someone to pet him, but Amber would demand it.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I love reading back through past topics and catching up on Rory and Amber stories... It is fun to similarities and differences in each others' pups.

When I was looking for a chow puppy I really wanted one that was physically sound..... with a solid temperament..... I am very happy to say that Chance's gorgeous self radiates through because of his happy disposition. I drive my husband bonkers because every time I watch Chance, the song by Pharrell Williams - "Happy" just comes flowing out of me.... He is just one big fuzzy bundle of HAPPY PUPPY!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

A busy morning working in the yard. I would sweep up leaves and Chance would attack the pile and the broom. This could have continued all day....

But, I got wise and pulled out an old kiddie pool.

This is going to be a hot summer and we will probably be going through several of these before winter hits in Texas.

Image (and he doesn't even seem to mind that it is pink) :mrgreen:

Just shy of 5 months old and weighed 43lbs at the vet on Friday.
Peterbilt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Our New Puppy

Post by Peterbilt »

Handsome boy! I am going to buy my little boy a pool soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Peterbilt wrote:Handsome boy! I am going to buy my little boy a pool soon.
Chance used it for a giant drinking bowl at first. Then I turned my back and heard a splash! Have you added any new pictures of your gorgeous pup?
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

"Here Kitty-Kitty"
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Ha Ha Ha, that picture definitely tells the story...just wait til he learns to be sneaky.