New member!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lgnay020
Rank 0
Rank 0

New member!

Post by Lgnay020 »

Hello everyone,
I'm so glad that there is a chow forum as I have a lot of questions!
There has been mixed reviews about D&M kennel farm. They are located in Fairborn, Ohio
I am curious to find out if anyone has purchase their chow from that particular one ? I have read the reviews on Facebook on their website and they seem to have such great reviews about their good temperament dogs. But also some bad reviews. I had put a deposit for a chow chow that I will pick up in march. She's a cinnamon color and just 2 weeks old. I am excited but I also have mix feelings about this farm. I feel like I could have researched more... Or some reassurance....?? I need help!
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New member!

Post by Doppler »

I'm not familiar with them so I couldn't comment but hope you will get the best one that will fit for your family. As long as they do all required shots and documents for the pup and you are there to give him/her a loving home and stick with us for some of your concern, I think it should be fine. Welcome!
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

Lgnay020 wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm so glad that there is a chow forum as I have a lot of questions!
There has been mixed reviews about D&M kennel farm. They are located in Fairborn, Ohio
I am curious to find out if anyone has purchase their chow from that particular one ? I have read the reviews on Facebook on their website and they seem to have such great reviews about their good temperament dogs. But also some bad reviews. I had put a deposit for a chow chow that I will pick up in march. She's a cinnamon color and just 2 weeks old. I am excited but I also have mix feelings about this farm. I feel like I could have researched more... Or some reassurance....?? I need help!
Hi Lgnay,

Welcome to the site!

I wanted to let you know that in September of 2012, we received our cream chow from D&M Farm from a litter from Lila and Teddy. They have a three year guarantee on all of their dogs, with a full replacement of the dog, and for a good reason.

While our chow, Louie, has an AWESOME disposition and is the sweetest thing at 1.5 years of age, their chows have poor, poor genetics. Louie was diagnosed with severe congenital hip dysplasia at 13 months of age. Apparently, another client of there's had a very similar experience, but chose to have their puppy euthanized. D&M farm continues to breed the dogs that carry this defect, and will not give any of my money back, as Louie requires long term care, and have only offered another dog, which I refuse to do as I love Louie, and I would not want another dog that may have the same issue. Because of this, Louie suffers with leg stiffness and hip pain at just 1.5 years of age. He is maintained on joint supplements, homeopathic pain medication, frequent walks, and water therapy.

Best of luck.

And NO, I DO NOT recommend D&M Farm kennel. :?

-Glue
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Hi Lgnay,

Welcome to the site!

I wanted to let you know that in September of 2012, we received our cream chow from D&M Farm from a litter from Lila and Teddy. They have a three year guarantee on all of their dogs, with a full replacement of the dog, and for a good reason.

While our chow, Louie, has an AWESOME disposition and is the sweetest thing at 1.5 years of age, their chows have poor, poor genetics. Louie was diagnosed with severe congenital hip dysplasia at 13 months of age. Apparently, another client of there's had a very similar experience, but chose to have their puppy euthanized. D&M farm continues to breed the dogs that carry this defect, and will not give any of my money back, as Louie requires long term care, and have only offered another dog, which I refuse to do as I love Louie, and I would not want another dog that may have the same issue. Because of this, Louie suffers with leg stiffness and hip pain at just 1.5 years of age. He is maintained on joint supplements, homeopathic pain medication, frequent walks, and water therapy.

Best of luck.

And NO, I DO NOT recommend D&M Farm kennel. :?

-Glue[/quote]

Very sorry to hear about Louie. I read an article in the Whole Dog Journal about an enzyme that was supposed to be really helpful with inflammation in dogs. I did some research and liked what I found so I started my Lucy on it. She is 11 years old and has some stiffness in one of front legs. It has really helped, the stiffness is almost completely gone. I'm including one of the links with info in case you are interested in doing research on it. If you think it might help Louie you can take the information to your vet and see what he says.
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... 752-1.html

Louie is lucky to be in such a good home!

Laura
Attachments
Micah B&W.jpg
Micah B&W.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

Thank you Laura!

I'll def look into it. If you don't mind me asking, what brand and/or dosage do you use on your Lucy?

I'll have to ask the vet about it. Louie's stiffness is pretty... bad, especially in the morning, and while not as apparent, is still visibly present throughout the day. Anything that I can do to help the poor guy. He's my buddy =)

-Glue
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

gluesticks wrote:Thank you Laura!

I'll def look into it. If you don't mind me asking, what brand and/or dosage do you use on your Lucy?

I'll have to ask the vet about it. Louie's stiffness is pretty... bad, especially in the morning, and while not as apparent, is still visibly present throughout the day. Anything that I can do to help the poor guy. He's my buddy =)

-Glue
I use the brand "Garden of Life" and just do a search for the best price. Lucy is about 55lb and I started her out on 1 tablet a day. We have had some freezing cold weather the last month so I increased it to two even though she was still doing well. I know in the study that I sent you the link on they used a higher dose depending on the problem. When I have had an injury with one of my dogs I use Zeel for pain. It might be something else you might want to research. Here is a link http://www.ourdogsonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25992 Of course your vet is the bet person to tell you if these might be an option for Louie.

I know what you mean I hate to see my "kids" not feeling well.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

maikinda wrote:
gluesticks wrote:Thank you Laura!

-Glue
I use the brand "Garden of Life" and just do a search for the best price. Lucy is about 55lb and I started her out on 1 tablet a day. We have had some freezing cold weather the last month so I increased it to two even though she was still doing well. I know in the study that I sent you the link on they used a higher dose depending on the problem. When I have had an injury with one of my dogs I use Zeel for pain. It might be something else you might want to research. Here is a link http://www.ourdogsonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25992 Of course your vet is the bet person to tell you if these might be an option for Louie.

I know what you mean I hate to see my "kids" not feeling well.

Laura
I already use Zeel and it works really well! We usually give him one tablet (or two, depending on the day - via the cold) and his energy has bounced back.

Actually, you were the one to have recommended it a few months back.

I'll look into the Garden of Life.

Thanks again!
-Glue