First time Chow Chow owner.

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Storm
Rank 0
Rank 0

First time Chow Chow owner.

Post by Storm »

Hi everyone I got my first Chow Chow puppy yesterday. She is 61/2 weeks old Blue chow. I have named her Storm because of her stormy grey coat. I am wondering what is the best way to start training a chow puppy this young. And is there anything I should be concerned about with the breed? I already have her signed up for puppy classes when she turns 10 weeks and I will start taking her to the dog park when she is 13 weeks to socialize her in addition to the two walks she will e gettin a day. Is there anything else I can do to socialize her? And I am sure most people ask this question but does she look like a pure chow to you guys. I really dog care if she is or is not I still love her. I saw her parents both black chows and they looks full chow to me. But my question comes up because I have read some places chow can't be blue and they have to have a blue black tongue Storms gums are blue black but her tongue is mainly pink with black spots. Also any advice anyone has for a collar or a harness would be greatly appreciated. Myself and Storm thAnk you
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: First time Chow Chow owner.

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Storm,
Welcome to the forum.
First remark if you take the time to browse to the blogs about health and training you will get all the info you mentioned in your blog.
I just recently told another concerned owner that Chows are born with pink tongues and they will turn black in the first weeks/months of their lifes.
So please check the blogs for the other questions.
Congratulation for choosing a Chow they're great companions.
Best regards
Pinoy51