New Chow Mommy

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

jessiesmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow Mommy

Post by jessiesmom »

Hello! I'm thankful for a site like this. I have a few questions about my chow, Jessie. I adopted her last month and she came from a chow hoarding situation. She is a very scared pup between 2-4 years old. She had puppies but she is sooo shy. She went to a petsitters home on thanksgiving and ran away. Thankfully we found her on December 17th and got her home safely. She has opened up a little more but generally just doesn't want to be around people. She lives under my son's loft bed and comes out to go potty outside and eat. Yesterday she spent all day panting and let me touch her more than usual. I'm trying to determine if her panting is just that she is happy and content or something to be concerned about? She also snores. Loud. She has never barked or said a word other than some yipping during a dream once. I've never owned a chow but she is soo sweet. Never nipped or done anything to show aggressiveness. Any advice and tips are welcome.
Attachments
1455061_10202348462822523_1163740243_n.jpg
1455061_10202348462822523_1163740243_n.jpg (116.71 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New Chow Mommy

Post by maikinda »

Jesse is beautiful, such pretty eyes! I'm sure it will take her time to adjust after being in such a terrible situation. Here is an excellent website http://www.peaceablepaws.com/pat-miller.php that may answer some of your questions. I have read some of Pats books and found them really helpful.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New Chow Mommy

Post by rmb »

My male Chow Chow spent the first 13 months in a shelter and had never been in a home when we brought him in to ours. It took him many months to adjust, still a work in progress. It probably helped that we already had an older dog in the house. I think he took some cues from her. He spent most of the first 3-4 months under the kitchen peninsula at my husband's feet. One year later, he is nicely settled in. My best advice would be to not rush her. She will need time to trust you and her surroundings.
Thanks for giving her a chance!