New to here, Meet Salem

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

salemsaberhagen
Rank 0
Rank 0

New to here, Meet Salem

Post by salemsaberhagen »

Hi there. I was just browsing some of your topics and decided it would be a good thing for me to join on here. I have a two and a half year old Chow/Lab mix or when I'm feeling pretencious I call her my chabrador. I adopted her 2 years ago in October from the Dumb Friends League in Denver, Colorado. She is honestly the best dog I have ever had. She's the perfect mix between a lab and a chow. She can be super aloof but also the biggest cuddle bug, depending on her mood.

I think the biggest struggle for me is dealing with people who automatically don't like my dog because she's part chow. Salem tops out at just over 40 lbs and is just very very small. She still looks like a puppy too, at 2 and a half and I don't think that will fade, but people are scared of her and I get yelled at and almost attacked just for bringing her to the dog park or even in public. Salem has never been aggressive or mean to any dog. She has defended herself if other dogs cross the line but never anything more than that. I live in an area that is a hot spot for pit bulls so a lot of people do have bad experiences with some of the 'bully' breeds but that's just because some people don't know how to take care of their animals.

So hopefully I can get some good advice for dealing with those kind of issues and also just become a smarter owner for my little chow chow mix.
Attachments
My little munchkin
My little munchkin
say.jpg (93.66 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New to here, Meet Salem

Post by wokman »

Hello too you two. Sorry you are having bad experiences in your area with your Pal. I have found that owners of other breeds classified as aggressive often criticize owners of breeds in the same temperament class. I think it is a personality flaw of those owners, maybe they are tired of their animals always being picked on and they need to vent their anger on someone else. Be careful around those unstable types and maybe skip the dog park. Question; what is all the white stuff on Salem's face :?: :?
brenchow2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New to here, Meet Salem

Post by brenchow2 »

Hi
When I had my 50lb chow I found it easier to take into the mountains national forest, there I could let her go cause she never got more than 50 feet from me and we could enjoy the outdoors and never get into trouble since she was such a large chow. I remember kids not being afraid of her it was the adults that put fear into a situation. Do not get down and keep taking the walks like the forest much more to see there and fresh air too!!