Blue Merle Chow Chow

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

MerleChowChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Blue Merle Chow Chow

Post by MerleChowChows »

Hello I am new to this site. I have a Blue Merle Chow Chow that I got dna tested and came back purebreed. Just kind of wondering why everyone is against the color? Also wondering if there is anyone else out there that has a blue merle chow chow? I know a lot of people are against Blue Merle and I won't take any negative comments about the color to offence! :)
Attachments
My Blue Merle as a puppy
My Blue Merle as a puppy
1334278083510.jpg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 10107 times
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Blue Merle Chow Chow

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Welcome. Your pup is adorable.

However, blue merle is not a color chows are supposed to come it. To my knowledge, it has to be bred in by mixing a breed that does carry it into chows. Which is very well likely, even though the DNA test came back purebred, if it was far enough back. Chow chows only come in black, red, cinnamon, cream, and blue; which is why merles and other colors (like chocolate; which I've seen in chows) will never be accepted. Plus, most of the DNA test are crap. Many only even acknowledge some breeds anyways and are worthless.

Nonetheless, your pup is cute.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Absolutely nothing against your pup, but as Tippsy said, it's just not an accepted or officially recognized color. Chows are designated in five color groups, and merle is not one of them. I also agree that the purebred results of the DNA test are flawed.
Caryl Myers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caryl Myers »

AKC does not recognize blue merle as an accepted color. I am sure you couldn't register this dog. There are unreputable breeders that will breed anything.............
The dog can't be shown and should never be bred.
If You go to akc.org you will see the acceptable Chow standard.

Caryl Myers
www.cejamchows.com
AKC Breeder of Merit
Chow chow lover 13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow chow lover 13 »

MerleChowChows wrote:Hello I am new to this site. I have a Blue Merle Chow Chow that I got dna tested and came back purebreed. Just kind of wondering why everyone is against the color? Also wondering if there is anyone else out there that has a blue merle chow chow? I know a lot of people are against Blue Merle and I won't take any negative comments about the color to offence! :)
Caryl Myers wrote:AKC does not recognize blue merle as an accepted color. I am sure you couldn't register this dog. There are unreputable breeders that will breed anything.............
The dog can't be shown and should never be bred.
If You go to akc.org you will see the acceptable Chow standard.

Caryl Myers
http://www.cejamchows.com
AKC Breeder of Merit
Hello I'm new to you have a full blooded chow chow AKC does register them I know cuz there is a breeder here in Kentucky thst breeds them and they are vary cute he has the red merle's and the blue merle's puppies
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Recognized...not recognized...all I know is that he is gorgeous!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Recognized or not is not the point. Read some of the earlier posts on this topic. Merle Chows are a genetic defect. Most are deaf or blind, sometimes both. It is 100% unethical to continue to breed merle chows. Those that support such breedings are furthering a horrible practice.
wandastadel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: RE: Blue Merle Chow Chow

Post by wandastadel »

MerleChowChows wrote:Hello I am new to this site. I have a Blue Merle Chow Chow that I got dna tested and came back purebreed. Just kind of wondering why everyone is against the color? Also wondering if there is anyone else out there that has a blue merle chow chow? I know a lot of people are against Blue Merle and I won't take any negative comments about the color to offence! :)
Oh my gosh! Looks like cookies and cream!! So adorable!!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk