my beautiful new boy, Buddy

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

my beautiful new boy, Buddy

Post by rmb »

Just 5 days ago I adopted a 1 year old male chow (mix?) from an animal shelter. His litter had been surrendered. Mom was full chow kept tied to a tree in a back yard (shame on them!) He has lived his whole life in the shelter. He looks like a full rough coat chow with a fox face, cinnamon in color, 43 pounds, full black tongue. We recently had to say good bye to a 16 year old male chow mix, the sweetest, most gentle guy I ever knew. Took my husband and my 9 year old female chow mix to meet the new guy, we all fell in love. He quickly found a "safe" place under the kitchen peninsula against a wall (happens also to be at my husband's feet) and spends LOTS of time there. He is slowly beginning to come out more often and for longer intervals, for now he even sleeps there. I've been off work since he came home but we have left both dogs home alone, 2 hours the longest, I think he stayed in his fav spot the whole time. I did bring home a crate but he has been so well behaved and he and Suzy are getting along so well, I've left the door open, he went in initially and stayed for hours and has rarely been in and out since. He prefers under the peninsula, even to sleep. He did great at the vets for his check up (female vet and tech), very cooperative. Because this guy obviously has more chow than any I have experience with, I have a trainer coming over tomorrow. He is not assimilated yet so I wonder if it's too soon but on the other hand, want to be sure he doesn't ever get the idea that he's the boss. He's decided that my flower beds are the place to do his business. I was so happy to see him doing his biz outside, I didn't want to correct him but will have to re-direct that. Anyway, just wanted to say Hi, glad to find this site, expect to be checking in re Chow Chow behaviors, etc and I welcome any advice.
Rene'
ps, would love to post a pic of my gorgeous boy but don't see file names on my ipad photos
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: my beautiful new boy, Buddy

Post by CoraP. »

It sounds like you have a wonderful new boy! I'm so glad you got him out of the shelter. Our girl, Molly came from a rescue when she was 2 or 3 yrs. old. I'd love to see pictures of him!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Need advice my beautiful new boy, Buddy

Post by rmb »

On Buddy's 7th day here, he is came out of his shell and engaged my 9 year old arthritic 60 lb female chow, shitzu, aus shep mix in play. Well, it looked like play at first. So much loud low long growling came from each of them, I gave a loud AH AH!, they both immediately stopped and looked at me. They both stayed on their feet at all times, both tails were wagging, there was some paw slapping and chin over back but that growling was scary. I took them outside and all seemed ok.
This morning after our walk, she was laying down resting when he approached her with what I think was a play pose but he barely bowed. She gave him a low growl. He went to her back legs & picked one up. She growled again, without getting up. He was moving around her and standing over her and when he went to face her it was eye to eye. Her ears went back, eyes wide open, mouth in snarl and she growled. He growled back. I interrupted again and they responded to me immediately.
Suzy was alpha over my male chow mix who passed a couple of weeks ago. In his first week, Buddy followed her and deferred to her in all things.
I dont know if he is now trying to exert dominance or if he is just trying to entice her to play. In my eyes, she was clearly saying back off this morning and he was not listening.
Now I am afraid to leave them free in the house alone like they have been for short periods all week. Until the last couple of days, he has pretty much kept to his safe place under the table. Not so much now.
Should I be worried about Suzy getting injured. I know I shouldnt interfere with a dominance play but I am worried about my sweet old girl. Trying to stay calm so they won't send my anxiety.
Any advice please!!??