Hello from Louisiana

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jared
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hello from Louisiana

Post by Jared »

I hope I am posting this in the right spot! Hi all. My name is Jared and I’m from Louisiana. My dog, who I called puppy because he always acted sweet and cuddly like a puppy, passed away after 12 years with me. After about a month, my partner and I wanted to get another dog to give our affection to. We came across a lady who had two puppy Chows. I fell in love with one of them and we adopted him. After reading the forum and doing some research, I see that some people say Chows do not come in brindle, like the puppy (his name is Odo) I got. He does have a purple tongue, so I think he must have some Chow in him.

Odo is a very shy dog, but really loves attention, especially when it’s bedtime. I have a mix breed older dog who has become his best friend. They run and play together like they have known each other for years. My oldest dog, a 12 year old shih tzu, hasn’t been interested in getting to know Odo. I’m hoping that will change.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and thank the webmaster of this site. It has been very, very informative.

Jared

PS. Here is a picture of Odo.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (129.7 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Hello from Louisiana

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Hi Jared, where you at? I am over here in Gulfport. From that one photo, you dog looks like he might be a mix. That just means you will have to past a lot more pictures :) so we can get a good look.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Hi and welcome. Odo is most certainly a mix, but I can see the Chow in his tail and hind quarters. Regardless, he is cute. Best wishes and condolences on the loss of Puppy.
Jared
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jared »

Thanks for the responses. I had a feeling he was a mix (even though the lady I got him from says he isn't). I really wanted a full bred Chow, maybe I can get him a friend :) Here is another pic of Odo.

Ursa's daddy, I am in Shreveport :) Thank you PCC, I will always miss Puppy, but I am happy to have Odo to give my love to.
Attachments
Odo.gif
Odo.gif (122.73 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Welcome to the site, Jared. My condolences on the loss of "Puppy". Thank you for adopting a chow to love. Chows do come in brindle, which I consider multi-colored. But they are not show chows. They are just chows. Our family chow's coat was multi-colored. We met his parents and they were both purebreed chow chows. His photo shows up in the masthead's slideshow of chows. There was also a member here whose chow "Leo" was *brindle*. Leo had papers and both parents were purebreed chows. I dug up one of his pictures as a puppy. Hopefully it will attach.

So your Odo could well be a purebreed as the lady told you. Nonetheless, he's a cutie!
Attachments
Tracy's Leo as a chowling
Tracy's Leo as a chowling
LeoLacey11-16-07.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes indeed he is beautiful and will give love and companionship. He is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have him. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Sorry for your Puppy's passing. It is really lonely to have to say goodbye to a loyal friend. He who takes everything you say and doesnt talk back. :-) my Cookie which is my favorite dog passed away a month short of her birthday last year. And what broke my heart more is that I wasn't home when she passed away. She may be thinking where i was and if Im gonna come back for her. Really makes me cry even now.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Your chow pup looks like a chow except for the brindle color. That could be a recessive gene or perhaps some bitch several generations ago played around and it now shows in your pup.