Just adopted my first Chow today!!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChewbaccaRoxxx

Just adopted my first Chow today!!

Post by ChewbaccaRoxxx »

WOW that's about all I can say about this boy, he is amazing. It already seems as if we have been together for far longer than since noon today!!

Chewbacca is a 3 year old male red chow. He was taken into the Denver, CO shelter as a stray (they think someone dumped him) and was there for 2 months. A kind woman adopted him and brought him home only to find that he wanted to eat her cat. She hired a trainer and everything, tried keeping them seperated but she knew that it was not the best place for him and that he needed more.

I posted an ad on Craigslist syaing we were looking for an addition to our family and she emailed me saying that he was going to be going to the shelter asap, she was at her wits end with everything that was happening. So I get all the details and say ok lets give this a go. She comes over to my house and we do a meet and greet and we see how he and my pug, Isobele do and they were amazing. her proposal was to do a trial stay and see how he does and we can go from there if we want to keep him.

he played with my pug, got the zoomies TWICE, ate some food, played with my husband and me, slept, I brushed him and we took a lot of fun walks. That has all been since NOON today ;) Well when she called to check on him I said yea we are gonna keep him, he is a part of the family already. So you know that when your husband names the dog in less than half an hour that he likes him and you will have to tear that dog from your husband cold dead hands before she gets him back!!

I look forward to getting to know you all,
Tiff, Isobele the Pug, and Chewbacca!!!

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: Just adopted my first Chow today!!

Post by Judy Fox »

What a beautiful Chow smile. :D Glad you found each other.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

What a beautiful boy! Congratulations!! I'm very happy for you and Chewbacca.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

How lovely!
Thank you Sweatpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Chew's a handsome guy! Congrats on adopting him! My husband brought home a Pug a couple months ago. It is like looking at the Queen and her Jester around here. Still, I laugh at watching them zoom. Plus Lily knocks down the Pug by sharply nosing her in the side. The Pug has learned to 'pratfall' before impact...I bet yours will have a much different relationship with the Chow coming in after the Pug.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Another GREAT rescue story!!! How cool! Rglrglglglglg ((my chewbacca impersonation)) Welcome!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Chewbacca Iam sure is so glad to be with you.Sounds like all is going good
ChewbaccaRoxxx

Post by ChewbaccaRoxxx »

Auddymay wrote:Chew's a handsome guy! Congrats on adopting him! My husband brought home a Pug a couple months ago. It is like looking at the Queen and her Jester around here. Still, I laugh at watching them zoom. Plus Lily knocks down the Pug by sharply nosing her in the side. The Pug has learned to 'pratfall' before impact...I bet yours will have a much different relationship with the Chow coming in after the Pug.

WOW that is SO THEM!!!! Isobele will get Chewie started then come hide when he tries to hit her with his nose lol. =D=
ChewbaccaRoxxx

Post by ChewbaccaRoxxx »

Thanks everyone!! We just leased a retail space so we have been so busy with the business that I haven't posted that much. We are doing great here. Isobele the Pug and Chewbacca are best friends and he even has growled at someone that had a dog with them to protect me. The guy was drinking out of a vodka bottle at the time so he was being a good boy and saying just keep your distance and we'll be ok.

vet check up was fine but I had all of his past paperwork from his foster mom so that was a big help. He is a bit under weight and the vet said he will gain it, not to worry and that he is ok but could stand to gain a few pounds. We are giving him some streak with dinner once a week and he is on Merrick Before Grain Buffalo food.

Tiff, Isobele, and Chewbacca!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

ChewbaccaRoxxx wrote:Thanks everyone!! We just leased a retail space so we have been so busy with the business that I haven't posted that much. We are doing great here. Isobele the Pug and Chewbacca are best friends and he even has growled at someone that had a dog with them to protect me. The guy was drinking out of a vodka bottle at the time so he was being a good boy and saying just keep your distance and we'll be ok.

vet check up was fine but I had all of his past paperwork from his foster mom so that was a big help. He is a bit under weight and the vet said he will gain it, not to worry and that he is ok but could stand to gain a few pounds. We are giving him some streak with dinner once a week and he is on Merrick Before Grain Buffalo food.

Tiff, Isobele, and Chewbacca!!
He is a beautiful chow boy. You will find that they don't have a lot of tolerence for strangers who have been or are drinking. And most people are smart enough to back away from a chow that growls.
My two eat Merrick's wilderness blend. You might want to add a little of Solid Gold's Seameal powder to his food too, it'll help with vitamins and minerals. I give that to my two as well. My girl who was also an underweight rescue is 10.5 now and at her vet visit this year her senior screening was perfect.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
ChewbaccaRoxxx

Post by ChewbaccaRoxxx »

He is a beautiful chow boy. You will find that they don't have a lot of tolerence for strangers who have been or are drinking. And most people are smart enough to back away from a chow that growls.
My two eat Merrick's wilderness blend. You might want to add a little of Solid Gold's Seameal powder to his food too, it'll help with vitamins and minerals. I give that to my two as well. My girl who was also an underweight rescue is 10.5 now and at her vet visit this year her senior screening was perfect.[/quote]

thanks, we just fell in love with him. AND yes people seem very scared of him and that's ok with us as we don't live in the BEST part of town. Not the worst but still. I put in an order for the Seameal Powder, thanks for the info. YEAH for good health screenings!! \:D/