Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzmineong »

Hello everyone,

I am new to your site. My husband and I are longtime Chow owners. My husband and I have been married for 19 years this August and we have had Chows the whole time. We have had the heartache of watching 4 of our babies pass away, the last just in January. We went 2 months without any pets and couldn't take it anymore. We now have 2 very energetic 6 month old chow pups. Nanuq is a cream male chow and Lya was red when born, but is now more of a cinnamon color. These two are the joys of our lives. I am so happy to have found this community to share stories with.
Last edited by jazzmineong on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live well, Laugh often, Love much
Jazzminesong
jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New Member

Post by jazzmineong »

Our Story,

Woofer was a male chow-mut (part chow and part who knows what..HA) that my husband brought to my home 19 years ago when we married. He was 8 years old at that time. Wofer and I took to each other so easily. He would lay on the couch with his head in my lap. One day my husband and I were play wrestling and I squeeled and Wofer nipped him. And Wofer was his dog! LOL! After we were married 2 years we thought that Woofer needed a playmate so we introduced a female cin. chow t our home that my step-son named Powder. At first, Woofer didn't much care for her, but it didn't take long for him to become fast friends with her. Powder was beautiful and full of fun and energy. My husband wanted to breed them because at this time Wofer was 11 and we wanted to have a pup from him. He was so old however that we thought that he wouldn't be able to do it. Low and behold an old man does know how to do it. We were gifted with 1 male and 5 female chow-muts. Our little six-pack was so much fun!! We chose to keep 1 female that looked a lot like Wofer and the male. When we gave away the first pup, Powder looked all over the house for 2 days and was whining and crying almost constantly. Then the other 2 pups left and she was so full of sorrow for a week!! She kept looking around for her missing babies. I couldn't put her through that again so we had her fixed before she came into heat again. So we had 4 Chows for almost 4 years. Wofer was 16 years old when he had what we called a stroke, because his hind end and half of his face was not working right. He started getting better after a visit to the vet and we thought he would be ok. But a week later we came home from work and he was laying on the floor, took two breaths, and passed away. He actually waited for us to get home. Losing him was extremely hard on both of us.

Powder and her son Gizzy Bear were the best of friends, they did everything together. Powder had that "I am the Queen" thing going on. She was beautiful and she knew it. Shandra, her daughter, was more of a loner, but she would get to playing with them every once in a while. Powder was my dog, she was there when I was sad and was going through some hard times. She knew when I was upset and would come lay down with me. She was such a good girl. It was 2 years ago that we were outside and all of a sudden she cried out and collapsed on the ground. We took her to the vet and they gave her an IV and liquids. We brought her home the same day. We thought she was getting better because after about a week she was starting to eat a little more and moving around a little better. I was outside with her a week after the first incident and she laid down in front of me and couldn't get back up. I called my husband home from work. We were taking her to the vet and she died in the back of my truck while we were in the vet's parking lot. She was a little over 12 years old. Our hearts were broken yet again.

Shandra was our loner. She looked more like Wofer than any of the others. She had such a cute face and we would call her our "princess". She was a very loving girl though. When my son would come to visit she would greet him at the door with a toy in her mouth. She was such a sweetheart. We would come home from work and she would put her mouth on my husband's wrist and take him for a walk in the yard. It was so funny. We noticed that she started throwing up more and wasn't eating so we took her to a new vet. We didn't much trust the old one because of what happened to Powder and we never really knew why she died. The new vet took pictures of her and took blood samples. They kept her because she was dehydrated from the vomiting. They found a mass in her belly and we opted for exploratory surgery. We took Gizzy to see her the day before the surgery and took them for a walk around the vet's office. When they opened her up they found cancer all over in her belly. We had to have her put to sleep. She was only 12 years old. We had just lost Powder a year prior. My husband and I were floored. She seemed so healthy and full of life except for not eating very well. We were heartbroken yet again.

Gizzy Bear was such a good boy. He was full of life and enery. Constantly playing with and bathing his mom Powder. They were the best of friends. They would chase each other all over the yard. It was so much fun to watch them. After his mom passed away Gizzy started going downhill. He was having problems with his hind legs. Shandra would try to get him to play a little, but he would have no part of it. He loved his mom with everything he had and just gave up when she wasn't around anymore. He hurt his leg walking out the back door one day and we took him to the vet. They gave up pain medication for him and told us he would get better, but it would take a long time. They gave us an option for surgery, but we were both afraid. He was 12 years old and was already in pain from his hips. We didn't think he would tolerate surgery. Then his sister Shandra died. He went downhill really fast after that. He became incontinent. My husband and I would help him get up. We would take him outside, then we would help him get back in the house. My husband built him a ramp on the back porch so that he wouldn't have to jump. He only lasted four months after his sister died. We had to have him put to sleep. He was at the point that he couldn't get up by himself and couldn't hold his bladder, so he was laying in his own urine. Our hearts couldn't take watching him go through this anymore. That was so hard. That was in January this year. It felt like we had lost our whole family. He was the last of the line.

It was winter. The snow had all melted and it snowed again. There were no puppy paw prints in the snow. There was no panting noises from the dogs in the bedroom when it was time for bed. The house was too quiet. There wasn't any fur on the carpet! We had thought about not getting any more pets because we didn't want to go through the pain of losing them. But we couldn't take the quiet. We were looking at puppies on the internet. None of them seemed to be right until we found a Chow breed from Ohio. That was all it took, we were hooked. Two months seemed like an eternity without the sounds of panting, fur on the floor, taking the dogs outside, and all the rest that goes with it. We brought our babies home in March.

Nanuq and Lya are our babies now. They will never replace the pups we had prior to them. Wofer, Powder, Shandra, and Gizzy will always be in our hearts. I don't know if we can ever stop shedding tears when we talk about them. They will always be with us. But our yard was made for dogs and will never go without them again.

We find that Nanuq and Lya have some of the traits that the pups we lost had. I never knew them as Chow traits, but that's what they are. They have made our home full of laughter again.

And now I need to get off here because Lya is at my feet telling me I need to pay more attention to her.
Live well, Laugh often, Love much
Jazzminesong
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

A loving home with your chow and chow mixes. I've seen the pics of the two new chowlings on the picture thread, they are lovely. Every chow is so unique that each one finds a place of it's own in your heart. You'll never forget the first ones, but these two will fill you up too.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I read your post a few days ago with tears running down my face. It sounds like you have a very loving chow home and I am so glad to hear that you have new chow babies. I completely understand how you felt when your home was empty, I lost Baby (11) to Cushings last September and that was the first time in over 20 years that I had not had at least one chow in my home. I thought I would wait until spring before I would consider getting another but I was lucky enough to find Cocoa in December and my house is full of chow snores and zoomies again. =D=