Salutations! (new member intro)

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mandylovestea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Salutations! (new member intro)

Post by Mandylovestea »

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I found it looking for tips on training chow chows and i love the sense of community here, so much helpful information I've found already.

My husband and I were looking for a dog to adopt from a local shelter and stumbled upon a beautiful dog named Beary who is part chow chow and part pit bull terrier with a beautiful coat that looks like a marbled cake. He was abandon with his mother chained in a backyard. The neighbors called animal control after not seeing the family return for 3 days, but despite this he is a loving, well adjusted guy. He was at the shelter for around a month. He just turned 9 months old, and is such an intelligent, but sometimes stubborn lil guy! It is encouraging to me, though, to read that this is a breed trait. I didn't know much about chow chows before adopting him, even though the family dog i grew up with for 15 years was part lab and part chow. It's different when you're a kid living alongside a dog rather than an adult leading the dog. At least for me it is.

So many people my husband, Charlie, works with have commented to him what a terrible dog Beary must be, what with chows being so stupid and pit bulls so aggressive. Now, i had never heard chows were stupid, and i have to say they are not at all. Stubborn, sure, but they are very smart. Smart enough to understand you, and NOT perform something they see no point in doing lol. And i find that if he isn't being stubborn, but still not listening to me, it's because i haven't clearly showed him just what i want from him. I'm working on that part :) I kind of see it as a battle of wills at times. People who say they are stupid do not know what they are talking about, just as people who say pit bulls and rotties are aggressive. They are only what their people have taught them to be, whatever breed. I've seen vicious chiuauas and labradors, and have been bitten by a lab on the ankle, but everyone still loves them because the media reports good things about labs.

We've had Beary for a month now, and he is adjusting, as are we. And our cat, Powder, is starting to understand that a tail wag aimed at him just means that Beary is happy to see him, not a threatening move. I hope that the 2 of them will be good friends after a while. Powder is 3 years old and outranks Beary, which Beary seems to grasp. He's never been aggressive toward the cat, friend and playful and curious. Powder is a bit put off by the puppy energy. We have a special gate with a cat door in our hall and have all of Powder's things back there so he has a safe place, and we're teaching Beary not to run after him when he runs away.

Ok, don't want to make this too long. I look forward to reading and posting here!

Cheers
-Mandy-ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Re: Salutations! (new member intro)

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Welcome to the site, Mandy!

Beary is beautiful! What stunning markings he has on him. And what a charming tail! Can't wait to hear more about him and see more pictures.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Welcome, Mandy & Beary (plus Powder & family) :D
Beary has that beautiful brindle coloring. Thank you for rescuing him =D=
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Thank you for rescuing
What a lovely companion to boot!
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Welcome Mandy!
I enjoyed reading your introduction. It sounds like you have a good grasp already of the chow personality. No, they are not dumb...they are stubborn and don't care to do things they see no sense in doing. Our chow, Molly was adopted from a rescue. We don't know her background, but she was quite skinny when the rescue took her. She has gotten used to all 3 of our cats. At first, she chased but doesn't try to hurt them...she just liked the chase. The cats have also gotten used to her and have stopped running from her (except for one...but he's getting it), so I think Beary and Powder will get used to each other. Beary is so handsome! I'm glad too that you adopted him from a shelter.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

You're quite right, chows are stubborn, but pits just want to please, so don't be surprised if all of a sudden he starts asking for attention, and more attention, taking to his training like a good student. It might be a good idea to work him through as many obeidence and other types of classes possible. His double breed could make him a very good aglitiy dog...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Mandylovestea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mandylovestea »

Yes, i do definitely see the pit side of him in wanting to please. He's usually listening and ready to obey, but then sometimes he'll look at you and turn around. Or we'll give him a command and he looks at the wall like it's the most interesting thing he's ever seen lol we are looking to get him into a training class soon. In our house he almost always listens and obeys, but i need to work on keeping his attention outdoors. That's when everything else is more interesting to him than me :roll: I've read about some different techniques for training, i just need to start working with him.

He and Powder are starting to get along, or at least ignoring each other when they're in the same room. I'm not sure if Powder is trying to play with Beary or what, he doesn't puff up or hiss anymore, and he runs toward Beary with his tail up, then runs away. Beary is puzzled by this. Powder is puzzled as to why Beary tries to sniff his butt when he gets close. I'm trying to be an inter-species translator haha
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Welcome :D
What a unique coat,just beautiful! Wishing you a long happy,healthy life together!
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".