Introduction and Question

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

698carolh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Introduction and Question

Post by 698carolh »

Hi:
My name is Carol and I have a wonderful Chow named Chub Chub. He is going to be 6 end of January.

Here is my question and the background of the two of us!

Chub Chub came to me when he was 6 weeks old. It was only him and I for the first 3 years.
He has always been protective of me, but he seems to be getting worse. No animal or person can come near me without him going into protection mode. This is in my home or even out for walks. Lately, I can't even answer my door, without him actually starting to get snarly, and even tried to bite me twice. Just for getting him away from the door, holding his collar. This is all new behavior for him.

Today for the first time ever, he growled at me, when I went to take his dish up after he was done eating. I could literally take the food out of his mouth and it would not have bothered him. Now this happen today.

I am not really sure why his temperment has changed in the last few months, but I am not sure how to handle him with this. He is not like that to anyone else in the house.

Any input would be so appreciated. I love my puppy so so much (well not really a puppy anymore LOL)

Thanks
Carol
kingalls

Re: Introduction and Question

Post by kingalls »

Carol,
I would take him to the vet. With him growing at you, I think there is something else going on.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Yes, I definitely agree with Karen, see a vet.

When my Sheena's attitude changed drastically last year, she began growling and getting very, very antsy and grumpy, I took her to the vet...found out her liver values were high, she was all better in one month...caught it in advance and now her liver values have been better than fine for over 1 year. She's 9.5 years old now. I make sure Sheena has a physical w/blood tests yearly and a full body checkup. I also check her weekly inch by inch for lumps and such...plus she likes the attention.
I'm glad Sheena gets the grumpy attitude or I would never know when she's not feeling really well and I can catch things early.

Hope everything goes OK with Chub Chub and you find out the reason for the attitude change. By the way...really, really cute name. :wink:
Jennifer & Sheena
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

This is all new behavior for him.
It sounds to me like he has possibly, officially taken over or at least is considering a 'coup' in your household. :)
According to what I am reading here, he was always 'protective', etc., etc.
He's not a baby anymore, he's an adult, and being a chow, he's finally climbed the social ladder towards becoming president of his household... ( HIS ) household, not your household.

Like someone said, be sure to rule out any physical problem, because that can certainly alter any dog's behaviour.
Many people make the serious error of letting unwanted behaviour escalate. Often they don't even notice it until, ( like now) it gets out of hand.

I think it's probably safe to say that he's keeping you in line while he's busy answering the door trying to decide whether or not to let the space intruder in.

When these things happen, it's imperative to go back to basics and and 're start' your dog, and if you don't possess the skills to do this, please consider calling in a trainer who can show you how to diffuse these situations and who can arm yourself with tools to remove and quell this behaviour at once.

There is nothing abnormal about what he's doing here. I don't think he's sick at all especially since you are describing that he's choosing to do it at specific times and instances. I think he's simply come to terms with the lack of leadership at home and made the conscious decision to take over the household ( because he can).
holding his collar.
Put a lead on him, even if it means he has to drag it around the house. In doing so, when the door rings, or if you have to make a correction, you have a tool in your hand to work with, especially if he's going after you if you are grabbing his collar. and so what?? he needs to re-earn his freedom with good, civilized behaviour.

You need to know that grabbing the back of a dog's collar is a sign of aggression towards the dog, so a dominant dog is not going to necessarily accept that from you if he's at the stage that he's acting out. At least with a lead on, you can correct him. Make him "sit" or "down" without having to touch the back of his neck. When behaviour or training falters, always go back to training basics and re-start from the beginning. |This re-establishes their mind and their manners, and reminds them who there are in your household.

The good news is that it's very fixable. Best of luck.

The dominence test
http://www.merlinshope.com/2010/index.p ... icleid=103

Aggression in Dogs
http://www.merlinshope.com/2010/index.p ... icleid=101
698carolh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 698carolh »

Thank you all very much for all the responses :)
I have already taken some suggestions and put them into effect.
I belive that he is trying to be the owner of the household, but again, only with me for some strange reason.
Will let you know how it goes, as he is not the boss of me. I love the idea about the lead on him all the time for now.
Thanks again
Carol :)