New here ~ Hello Everyone!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

YorkieMomChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

New here ~ Hello Everyone!

Post by YorkieMomChowDad »

Sorry I'm so late in introducing myself to this group, when I signed up I had so much going on including doing Traffic School on line #-o

Anyway, My name is Rosie (YorkieMom) and I own 4 small Yorkies and we live in Hacienda Hts, California..... So your asking yourself why am I here? because of ChowDad.

ChowDad is a friend of mine of 25+ years that owns 2 1yr old sisters Chow Chow's, he works alot and not very good with computers he's has only been using one for about a year or so.

This is his 2nd set of Chow's, the first set was a brother and sister he had for about 2 yrs they both died. He was gone on vacation for about 3wks and had left his mom (home all day and lives next door) and roommate to care for them. One day his mom called him saying the boy was found dead with green foam in his mouth, ChowDad cried so much and felt so guilty for not being there and also the females was starting to not eat. He went home to his lil girl, about 2 months later the female had ringworm and took her in to the vets for treatment. He said they had given her a bath with some medicated shampoo he was there with her during that but after when she was being dried and brush he decided to run a quick earn down the street, he said he was gone maybe 20 to 30 minutes and when he got back she was dead. He was told she had a heart attack......when he called me he was crying so bad I could not understand what he was saying, once again he felt guilty for leaving the vets office.

He grew up with Chow's in his family but his father always saw them as guard dogs and playmates for the kids, but TG he has a bigger heart for animals than his father but it did take him a long time for his hear to grow...lol He would kinda make faces at my stories of my dogs, so I had to be careful not to sound like I was missing too many screws.

So to see him cry the loss of his "Kids" and now see him trying to be a better pet owner/Dad has made me want to help him or at least be prepare in case he needs help with the girls, I know more about small breed dogs but nothing on bigger ones.

I have looked around this site and see that large breeds have the same issues as the small ones but in a larger scale and this is something I have to always remember. The other day I went to Petsmart and wanted to buy him some new shampoo to try on his girls, it was a small sample bottle then I started laughing at myself because I could have bath all 4 of mine with that bottle and still had some left over but for the size of his girls one little bottle would have only been enough to wash the paws of the girls....lol

Anyway sorry this is so long and l look forward to meet you all. :D
Rosie
Auddymay

Re: New here ~ Hello Everyone!

Post by Auddymay »

Welcome to the site. It is nice that you joined up for your friend. Hopefully Chow Dad will learn his way around the forum, and he can see all the great things around here!
YorkieMomChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YorkieMomChowDad »

Thank you Auddymay.

I'm going to try to go see him next week and show him this site so he can start reading and educate himself, sometimes he makes me feel like I'm making things up to make his life harder...lol We don't see eye to eye on something so seeing other Chow owners have the same views as I do, I think this site will be of great help to him understand why I try to watch over my yorkies so much from diet to even where I step or other dogs I may come in contact with. Those lil things I don't share with him... :-$
Rosie
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Chowdad sounds like he is old school on how to treat a dog. Being a mature woman myself, I can say the way we should treat animals has changed enormously since I was a young adult. It is a learning process, and not always an easy one.