Hi! I am new, and need help with old chow

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

cskalski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hi! I am new, and need help with old chow

Post by cskalski »

My very best friend Lacky is limping.

I have had her for 14 of her 15 years, (adopted through chow rescue).

This is my second rescue chow, and I can't even describe how much I love her. I will formally introduce myself later on today, but I need to ask a question about my 15 year olds front leg limping.

She has been limping slightly on her right front leg for years, but it has now become pronounced. She has a hard time sitting and standing, and is falling from time to time on the stairs, and doesn't seem to have the strength to stand again once she has lost the rhythm of climbing.

I know I am going to have to put her to sleep eventually, but she is only on a very small dose of prednisone for her hot spots, and the rymadyl pills are so big she spits them out. Also, she is very smart and will eat all of the cheese or meat if you hide the pill in it, and then defiantly spit out the pill. She does tolerate the Ultram since it is small, but I don't know if it is helping. I want to get the best medication I can that will improve her quality of life and kill the pain effectivly

Please let me know what I should do. I took her to the vet about 6 months ago and the new young lady vet there said her muscle tissue was slowly degrading. Nothing they could do but give her pain meds and steroids. She was scripted for rymadyl and ultram, plus prednisone for the hot spots and joint inflammation.

I don't think the ultram is strong enough, and I really need some solid advice before I take her to the vet and waste a bunch of money for little results.

Please help if you can please!!!!! Thanks and I am so glad to be here! :?

-Chris,(39 year old male), West Springfield, VA. USA
Chris A Skalski
5804 Royal Ridge Drive
West Springfield, VA 22152
cskalski@cox.net
Lacky, 15, female
Nickname: H.R. pup-n-stuff
ADKH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hi! I am new, and need help with old chow

Post by ADKH »

Chris, welcome my dog Rusty was also around 14 years old when he got bloat and went down hill after the surgery. He had bad hip dysplasia and was on deramax for a long time. My vet who is my personal friend of a long time informed me that my dog was in the geriatrics stage of his life and as with humans there comes a point where they will not be able to walk. The only thing you can do is continue the meds but remember Rimadil like Deramax is not good and can cause renal failure. The purpose of these meds is to relieve some pain but not obliterate it because you will do other damage to your buddy if given in high doses. Do not skip the meds if he does not want them put them in a Pill Pocket and give it to him as a treat. Dogs like the taste of the pill pockets. Let the vet xray him to make sure he did not fracture a bone in the leg due to his age. I use to use Ascriptin on him to give him a break from the deramax. Ascriptin is a aspirin that is coated for the stomach. Take him to the vet as a precaution. I spent about a lot of money over the years for his comfort and it was well worth it.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'd try cosequin and get her off the pain meds and steriods. both can have a counter effect of making her letheragic, starting a vicious cycle, (she doesn't feel well, so give her drugs which make her tired, so she doesn't feel well). I'd also get those elbows x-rayed, chows have the worst tendency for elbow displasia. Which she probably has if the symtoms starting shows a while ago. All in all keep her as comfortable as possible, and as active as possible. Don't let her lie around too much stiffen up, short, slow easy walks with rests are best. You might also see if there is a K-9 hydro threapy place near you, a little time in the water to preserve her existing muscle mass and maybe add some will help. There is also acupuncture that has had some success in animals.

It's hard watching them get old and losing their spryness, but you can help them.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cskalski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cskalski »

Thanks for the kind responses. I am receiving a lot of advice on the topic, and that advice has been invaluable to me. I should be able to get her in there today.

What I have heard from 90% of the people I have spoken to and received advice from is to just make her as comfortable as possible, so she can live out her last 1 or 2 "golden years" in peace and with some modicum of dignity.

The steroids REALLY seem to help when they are issued in higher doses for a short term fix, but I can't tell if any of the pain meds have helped or not.

So, the research continues, and I will print off all of the research I have done thus far, condense it into only 1 full page, and then discuss it with the vet. This is the only way I can do it where I don't kick myself after the visit for forgetting to pose an important question, etc.

So, I hope I can help other owners here, the same as you have so kindly helped me.

Sincerely,
Chris Skalski and H.R. PUP-n-stuff.
Chris A Skalski
5804 Royal Ridge Drive
cskalski@cox.net
Lacky, 15, female
Sinniebunnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sinniebunnie »

Hmm.. my 15yr old has the stair problem also. We just dont allow her up or down the stairs.. when she goes up she sometimes cant make it, falls back and refuses to try again because she gets embarrassed. the only stair like movement we aloow her to do is to jump up and down her couch (- the cushions, they make it too high). yes she has her own couch in her own room =P soon she will have to be moved to the floor since she is starting to have trouble getting up on the couch.
cskalski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cskalski »

Sinniebunnie wrote:Hmm.. my 15yr old has the stair problem also. We just dont allow her up or down the stairs.. when she goes up she sometimes cant make it, falls back and refuses to try again because she gets embarrassed. the only stair like movement we aloow her to do is to jump up and down her couch (- the cushions, they make it too high). yes she has her own couch in her own room =P soon she will have to be moved to the floor since she is starting to have trouble getting up on the couch.
I wanted to let all of you know that I took her to the vet (Dr. Bissell...AWESOME EXPERIENCED VET 703-451-1995)

My family and friends said their goodbyes and I had braced myself because I just knew this was her last day on earth. Well, the doctor and I got her on the exam table, and he found the problem in her front elbow. All the cartridge was gone, and it was rubbing bone-on-bone. Well, he prescribed Ultram and Dexamethasone, and gave her a cortisone shot immediatly. He was amazed at her general good condition for a 15 year old chow, and I am happy to report that she is 50% better today. Her limping is much improved, and she had no hesitation to go down and up the stairs of my 2nd floor condo.

So, here is her dose. 50mg Ultram (Tramadol) 3 times daily, 2 Dexamethasone .75mg tablets daily (they are much stronger than prednisone). Thats all. After 24 hours she was ready for a walk and was eager to chase varmints again.
So, my vet visit was $44.00, and including medicines the total bill was $103.00. A bargain. (I have 3 kids and I am a single dad, so money is tight).
Springfield, VA Animal Hospital, Backlick Rd. 703-451-1995. They are AWESOME!!!

Sincerely,
Chris
Chris A Skalski
5804 Royal Ridge Drive
cskalski@cox.net
Lacky, 15, female
cskalski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cskalski »

Sinniebunnie wrote:Hmm.. my 15yr old has the stair problem also. We just dont allow her up or down the stairs.. when she goes up she sometimes cant make it, falls back and refuses to try again because she gets embarrassed. the only stair like movement we aloow her to do is to jump up and down her couch (- the cushions, they make it too high). yes she has her own couch in her own room =P soon she will have to be moved to the floor since she is starting to have trouble getting up on the couch.
Also, I was having to carry my chow occasionally up the stairs. Nothing makes you want to get emotional like having to carry your furry friend. Mine would fall going up the stairs too.

Please get her the meds I described in my previous post!!!!
Chris A Skalski
5804 Royal Ridge Drive
cskalski@cox.net
Lacky, 15, female
cskalski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cskalski »

Thanks everyone. The vet fixed her up!!! See below!
Chris A Skalski
5804 Royal Ridge Drive
cskalski@cox.net
Lacky, 15, female
cskalski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cskalski »

Thanks everyone for the stories and help. Her leg pain is much improved, but I had to back off by half the steroid. It was making her pant all day and she had to pee and poo very urgently throughout the day.

She is consuming a lot of food still, and water as well. I knew it was the steroid, and we cut her to .75 a day.

Thanks sooo much. I was sure she was a goner!

Sincerely,

Chris
Chris A Skalski
5804 Royal Ridge Drive
cskalski@cox.net
Lacky, 15, female
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Awww,thats great news Chris!
Keep up the good work and just make her comfortable as possible.
Your a good Chow Daddy :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad to hear the vet visit helped her! It is very hard to watch our chows get older and start failing...I guess it's part of life, but it sucks.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand