Interested in a Chow - Need help.

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lexxykon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Interested in a Chow - Need help.

Post by Lexxykon »

Hello everyone! My name is Lexxy, nice to meet you all! :D

Well, as the topic states, I'm interested in buying a Chow Chow. Not immediately, but in the near future.

I'm currently a student, however I'm not gone for more than 6 hours a day and my major doesn't require anything too difficult for me to be away from the puppy for too long. I'm interested in getting a Chow Chow because I live in the rougher parts of Arizona - we're not allowed to have street lights and there is a lot of crime and I would like a protector type dog who doesn't bark too much to keep me safe down here while I'm going to school.
I have several questions, and I figured I'd come to the experts for help! :)

I've had a Chow Chow before - He was a Golden Retriever / Chow Chow mix, and Monkey was a fluffy ball of cuteness. My family and I adopted him from the pound, but quickly after it became obvious he wasn't socialized, as he began biting members of the family. My mom decided that she didn't want him to bite any more of us and made the hardest and most heart breaking decision to put him down. This information will be required later..

My questions are posed as this:
1. I'm interested in getting a puppy (going to get him during the summer time so I have plenty of time to spend with him to make sure he's alright) - I want to socialize him and make sure that he's properly trained, however there aren't really any breeders in my area. Do any of you have experience in traveling to get a dog? Do you recommend flying or driving? The closest to me would probably be Texas. Not too bad of a drive, I think. I'm afraid to fly with him, I don't want to scare him.

2. Because of the story about Monkey, my mom is absolutely terrified of Chow Chows. She thinks that all of them, while protective, will only bond with one person (I know they do have a one person love, which is what I like!) and will bite everyone and everything else. I understand that Chows are very protective of their owner, but I want to explain to my mom that Chow Chows are not vicious dogs who just bite anyone and everyone whether they know them or not. How can I tell her otherwise?

3. Do you think he would be okay in Arizona? I wouldn't leave him outside ever, and I'd be sure to walk him in the cool evenings, but do you think it's just too much for the fluffball?

I can't really think of any more questions right now.. I'll be sure to post them later, but those are the most I'm concerned about.

Thanks in advanced!
Last edited by Lexxykon on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battle not with trolls, least ye become a troll.
And if you gaze into the forum, the forum gazes also into you.
Lexxykon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Interested in a Chow - Need help.

Post by Lexxykon »

Also, because everything is better with pictures - This is Monkey. :) He was a cutie.

Battle not with trolls, least ye become a troll.
And if you gaze into the forum, the forum gazes also into you.
carol t
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by carol t »

Believe it or not it might not have been the chow in her could havebeen the Golden.Used to be the best but from what I've read they have over bread them and now there is a lot of biting in a breed that once it was unheard of in.If you get it from a puppy socilize early,I don't think you will have any promblems.You cannot blame your Mom about poor Monkey no body should have to put up with a dog biting family members.My Pumkin is aloof at times but the most gentle sweetheart ever.
carol t
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by carol t »

Believe it or not it might not have been the chow in her could havebeen the Golden.Used to be the best but from what I've read they have over bread them and now there is a lot of biting in a breed that once it was unheard of in.If you get it from a puppy socilize early,I don't think you will have any promblems.You cannot blame your Mom about poor Monkey no body should have to put up with a dog biting family members.My Pumkin is aloof at times but the most gentle sweetheart ever.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

There are two things needed for having a chow that doesn't bite everything and everyone. First is as you are aware socialization. This means from day one and for the rest of his/her life encourageing the chow to interact with other people and other animals. This has to be done constantly, cause they will withdraw a little if not kept up and become shy, shyness isn't bad by itself but if they get too used to it they become fear biters which is bad. So you have to not just have folks over to the house while they are little, and take them out to meet new people etc when they are little but do it all their lives. The second thing is Bite Inhibition. This is important too, and the sooner you begin the better off you and the chow will be. There is a entry in the training section on this. Read it, live it. it is important to teach your chow from minute one, that using his mouth on you or any other person is not acceptable and not tolerated.

If you are getting a puppy you'll be steps ahead if you can wait until the puppie is 8 weeks old or older and has been with his/her mom and sibs for that time. Mom begins teaching bite inhibtion at 6 weeks, so by 8-10 weeks they have the idea that biting means not being allowed to play with mom or sibs and it is easier for the humans to just continue. Chows have their person, (usually the one who feeds, grooms and gives treats the most) but they can be family dogs, seeing everyone in the family as part of the pack. And all humans should outrank them. There are entries in the training section that will talk about NLIF, (nothing in life is free) and subtle ways of letting them know who is boss.

If you're going to buy a puppy you need to do research on the breeders, do not buy one from a pet store as they are usually from puppy mills and have no socialization at all, (as well as often being sick and having terrible health problems) You'll want to go to a rebutable breeder and that could take time. We have entries on what you should look for in a breeder as well.

Chows do fine in Arizona, I had one that came from there originally, he lived most of his life there and did fine. Arizona is hot but dry and that helps. Just brush the undercoat out every year when he/she sheds, keep them in the house with A/C and/or fans and a cool floor, (tile or wood) available and lots of fresh water, (not iced water that could cause bloat) and the chow should be fine.

chows that bite are undersocialized but often when they come from shelters and such they have also been abused and come with baggage as it were. Many should never be rehomed with novices or with homes with young childern. Explain this to your mom. That there are chows working as visitors to schools and nursing homes, chows that have their CGC certificates, chows that have placed in obedience shows. They are not single person dogs unless made that way. I live alone and my chows have their friends out side of me, in fact they have a few people they like so much they'll pull me across the street greet them. They are adored by their vets because they are so good. It's all in the training. And yet I also live in the middle of a big city, in a neighborhood that's not the best and they are still protective, they don't like people hanging around my door, or strangers walking down the hallway, people hanging out in the driveway and when we walk at night, they don't want questionable people too close to me or them. You can have a well socialized, friendly chow that behaves at the Vet and other places, and still have a protective chow.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

I live in Tucson and have two Chows, one male 3, one female 2. They've never bitten anyone, but Zeena has nipped before, I have to watch her a little more closely around strangers. I've never worried about Max, he a neutered male. If you want a Chow that doesn't bark all the time, I suggest a male, not a female. Zeena seems to have very sensitive hearing, the best I've ever seen in a dog. She hears EVERYTHING and will bark, especially at night. More drama in females it seems. Max will only bark when he feels it's necessary and when it's important that he bark. I had a male Chow before who lived to 11 1/2 and he never bit anybody. If you want security in your home though, you can't beat a Chow, they are very protective. You can sleep knowing they are ALWAYS on guard.
Gene.
Gene
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

While visiting out in AZ we went for a walk and a gentleman had a black chow with a bandanna around the dogs neck. As we got closer we noticed it wasn't a bandanna but some type of cooling collar. We stopped to pet the dog and chat and he said if he has to go out on a terribly hot day for a walk he uses this cooling collar. Very neat.. the dog seemed fine and happy..
Our friend had to relocate his Long haired st. benard out there in Phoenix and he just exercised the dog at night but make sure you have a leash on them .. He got fined for no leash .. even though the leash was in his hand he let Mo go for a little run around the park and he got caught. The fines are pretty good too.
Well I can honestly say Nikki is good with everyone we meet, dogs, children adults.. but it was and still is alot of socializing to keep her use to alot of different things and people. She will bark if someone is outside the house and we never yell at her for that cause we like that about her. But if they ever saw her waggin her tail to meet them it would be all over for us for protection..LOL