Shampoo?

An archive of the best and most helpful grooming related topics.
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Shampoo?

Post by Fidel »

What is the best shampoo to use on a chow? Also, any techniques on a healthy shiney rough coat?
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Since Fidel is only 10 weeks old and splinted, I would wait to bathe him until after he heals. If he has spots of dirt, clean him with a washcloth, no soap. They also sell cleaning cloths that are prewetted with stay -on cleanser, but again, with him being so young, you want to wait until he's bigger. I personally only give my girls baths twice a year. Pip got into something smelly and got her summer bath last week. Lily is over due. When you finally do give him a bath, the most important part is rinsing out all the soap. Leftover residue can cause hotspots.
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

Oh, I am not going to wash him until he is well, but I was wondering what kind of shampoo?
loverman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loverman »

I used Pantene Smooth and Sleek shampoo combined with conditioner on my Chow because it takes the knots out of my own very snarly hair and when I brought her home from the shelter she was all tangles and mats. It worked like a charm and I have used it since and it makes grooming go better for her. My Chow hates being groomed and manages to get snarly and full of briars playing in the wild land around our home. She never has any hot spots, but I am meticulous about thoroughly rinsing. I know that this is unorthodox, but it has worked well and I hope that this is helpful to you and your Chow.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My Mr. N has never been bathed...brush, brush, brush....He hates water and baths are not an option.
Shiloh loves water in her kiddie pool but we've never actually bathed her...we do brush her.
Most will opt with only bathing their Chow once or twice a year the most. Perhaps they can advise you.
Mr. N's groomer loves his coat because he has all of his natural oils which helps to brush any dirt out.
Both Shiloh and Mr. N have lovely coats - and neither have had a real bath.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I highly reccommend using unscented baby wash (bath or shampoo in all honesty they are the same). It will take care of any fleas hanging around and will not irratate the skin it makes the hair REALLY soft (and reccommended by vets for puppies under 12 weeks). Also, Pantene coats the hair it is not a clarifying shampoo. It makes hair look great because it coats the hair leaving like a resisdue which makes hair shine but is not good for the hair and definitely not good for dogs. Any dog conitioner will work in my experience.

(I would use use both shampoo ans conditoner to make it easier to brush and make sure you rinse completely since chows can have very sensitive skin and soap products left on the skin can cause rashes and other skin problems).
Last edited by redangie24 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "What is the best shampoo to use on a chow? Also, any techniques on a healthy shiney rough coat?

Dogs have a different skin pH than we do, so it's important to use grooming formulas made especially for dogs. A good quality dog shampoo rinses easily, leaves no harsh residue, and doesn't strip natural oils. Bio-Groom, based in Texas, makes a good quality line of products including puppy shampoos, texturizing shampoos for double coat breeds, therapeutic and soap-free formulas, color enhancing, and detangler conditioners. Chris Christensen, also based in Texas, makes a show dog line of grooming products.

Healthy coat shine should come from good quality protein foods containing nutrients like omega-3 EFA's, *biotin* and other B-complex vitamins. Some dog foods slick up a dog's coat with high levels of inflammatory vegetable oils, and these end up feeding yeasts/staph infections.

I advise bathing dogs about every two months, since the skin does help release toxins, and the environment is polluted with various toxins as well.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Shampoo?

Post by Constantina »

My sister in law fell in love with Chestnut and supplies her with Kiehl's Cuddly coat shampoo and conditioner for dogs. We bathe her weekly and it really neutralizes the dog smell for a good three days minimum. Her coat also becomes really puffy, fluffy and smells really clean ( lavender, lemon and chamomile combo)! NOT perfume-y like most scented shampoos. Downside: Price is a killer and we can only get them in the States and Hong Kong.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Shampoo?

Post by maikinda »

I agree with kiwani . I only use shampoo made for dogs and they should be bathed at least every 2 months. I do mine more than that. When you look for a shampoo make sure it is safe for a puppy and has no fragrance in it. Make sure you rinse it all out and make sure you get him all dry. If you leave any wet area's you may end up with sores.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 12333 times