Vitamins and Supplements

An archive of the best and most helpful nutrition, diet and food related topics.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I think the entire dog food industry preys on dog owners. Such is the way of most products. I look at it like this- I eat a bad diet of junk food and not enough roughage and veggies. I appear healty, and will probably live a long life. Am I causing myself health problems? Most likely- I appear healthy (though overweight). I was at an indoor water park yesterday, and I could have been a bit more spry going up the steps to the water slide. It is largely owing to my bad diet. So even if eating ol roy my chow would live to be 15, I would expect it to be less healthy than if I fed it top of the line foods.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

A water slide in the middle of winter in Michigan and its snowing by my house in Ca? geez the end is near. I think the Doors once sang, This is the End

Genetics play a part but Exercise and decent food I think are the most important, Exercise the Chow then feed all the slop you want to it. but for skin problems I have to go with diet not genetics, Maybe in some cases genetics but the majority diet. Same with Humans just about every sickness can go back to diet and exercise.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Indoor water park. It was snowing good at the time, too. Tubing the lazy river, and looking outside at snow showers.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Kiwani, I use Grizzly Salmon Oil and have seen no problems with it..."

How would anyone see mercury or PCB's building up inside their dogs, until it becomes a problem? Because Chows have high rates of stomach cancer, I prefer using better quality fish oil supplements filtered for mercury and toxins. I try to make the best choices available, for however long a time we are granted to be together.

Re: "Could it be that the ingrediant you mentioned, "propyl gallate" is only a problem in human babies because their digestive system has not developed?

Propyl gallate is also used in some cosmetics, and can irritate adult skin. It's not something I would want to feed to anyone day after day. I give my honest opinion of products based on research, and people here are free to make their own decisions.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Genetics does indeed play a part, but a lot of us on this board have rescues, we have no idea what their genetics are, so it's better that we ire on the side of caution and feed them the very best we can. And if their genetics are good and geared toward longevity then feeding them good food and suplments will increase that longevity. If their genes aren't so good, the better food will give them the longest possible life they can have in the best health they can have.

Either way feeding quality foods and a good solid diet is good practice all around. This is especially true for those of us with new puppies. Giving them the best in this critical first year of life will go a long way to helping them have the best and longest life possible.

And while it is true that pet food companies spend millions on advertising to get our bucks is it not strange that some of the worst food companies spend the most? Can anyone say Purina? How about Iams? Friskies? Kibbles & bits? It is up to us to find what works best for our chows and to do that we need to discuss it.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Well I probably have a bunch of mercury and arsenic and who knows what all else built up in my system, so does everyone else, unless maybe you are a vegetarian and had soil samples taken of the ground your food was grown in and it was kept indoors and only purified water was used to grow it. Don't give them tap water either, that might kill them by the time they are 15, and don't ever take them to the lake or a stream and let them drink out of it. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life worrying about what MIGHT be in the food or suppliments, and MIGHT do harm to them when they are 50 years old.

As for Purina, they have low cost food for people that can't afford to feed fluffy the finer things in life, and they have food that cost more and has better ingredients, I feed ProPlan and know of plenty of others that do to and we don't have dogs running around with the squirts and puking, and hair falling out all over the place, nor sickly dogs, that is a fact. You better go tell the thousands upon thousands of show dog owners and breeders to quit feeding that stuff because it is killing their dogs that cost them $2000 - $10,000, or more. Lets not forget all the research and the high paid dieticians that Purina has, heck why do they need all of that when their food isn't worth feeding. In my opinion you folks are worried about the wrong things.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Good food or bad food, cheap or expensive, if it kills one dog (in this case 400 dogs) its just no good no matter what the hype.

Purina had to pull all their foods because of 400 dog deaths in Venezuela. I know, well that's Venezuela who cares, yeah right.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Let me tell you how much that scares me.....next week I am going to buy about fifteen 40 pound bags of ProPlan, and when they are gone, I will buy more. Going to place an order for a gallon of Grizzly Salmon Oil this week too, when that is gone I will buy more. :lol:

Venezuela is a 3rd world country, and I am sure the food was probably manufactured down there and they have their own standards. :P
Sam

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have to say, Pip ate Kibbles and Bits for years, not because I couldnt afford better food, but because I didn't know better. Also, it is true we all have toxins built up in our systems. And both humans and dogs have excelerating cancer incidences as a result. I would rather give my girls the upper hand and feed them the better foods and give the better supplements.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Auddymay wrote:I have to say, Pip ate Kibbles and Bits for years, not because I couldnt afford better food, but because I didn't know better. Also, it is true we all have toxins built up in our systems. And both humans and dogs have excelerating cancer incidences as a result. I would rather give my girls the upper hand and feed them the better foods and give the better supplements.
Here, here! Auddymay.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "You better go tell the thousands upon thousands of show dog owners and breeders to quit feeding that stuff..."

PPCP, also known as pimping pups for purina.

Excerpt:
WHAT can you earn for your National Parent Breed Club?

When you participate in the PPCP, it doesn't impact your personal Pro Club earnings in any way. You just receive this PPCP benefit as a bonus!

As a Purina Pro Club member, you submit weight circles from purchased participating Purina® brand dog foods. PurinaPoints can then be redeemed for rebate checks and rewards Your National Parent Breed Club will earn 10% of the value of all points from your valid, qualifying weight circles credited to your Pro Club account.

• If you are already a Pro Club member, just continue to submit your Purina weight circles and notify Pro Club that you would like to participate in PPCP. You will be required to designate the one breed for which you would like to earn funds.

• If you are not yet a Pro Club member, you can qualify for membership if you care for five or more dogs, and/or breed one litter of puppies per year, and live in the U.S. To enroll or if you have questions, call toll-free..."
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Pimping Pups For Purina, LOL!!! That's funny, please explain how belonging to the Pro Club is pimping pups for Purina? You do realize that the money the breed club recieves from Purina for using their food usually goes to rescue and other worthy efforts for dogs?

Purina also gives the user of their food gift certificates for various stores, they also offer a check made payable to your vet, food coupons, Purina merchandise, and others stuff. And yes I belong to the Pro Club, I have for about a year now.

There are other food companies that do similar things. Lets no forget Eukanuba, they probably spend more than anyone on advertising. So what does all of this mean? I have healthy dogs and I am rewarded and my breed club is rewarded for using their product, and I have contributed to saving dogs lives through rescue in the process, doesn't look like a bad deal to me.
Sam

europeseko4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Vitamins and Supplements

Post by europeseko4 »

what do you think about the NUVET products?
http://www.nuvet.com/nuvetplus.asp
europeseko4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Vitamins and Supplements

Post by europeseko4 »

what do you think about the NUVET products?
http://www.nuvet.com/nuvetplus.asp