Rehoming 5 year old female Chow

All listings for Chow Chows that need a home.

Moderator: chowadmin

jkat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rehoming 5 year old female Chow

Post by jkat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:59 am

Korra is five years old, about 3/4 Chow Chow but is mixed with about 1/4 lab (her father was a Chow/Lab mix, her mother was purebred Chow). I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. She is sweet, happy, and insanely intelligent. She's been through a multitude of training classes, gone to doggy daycare, and has been well socialized since 8 weeks old. She will come up and snuggle with you in bed at times, loves hugs and pets, but she's such a "helper" dog - she loves tagging along on tasks with you! She likes going for walks, "helping" with laundry (she'll "inspect" it as it comes out of the dryer or as you put it away). She's been very intuitive with my chronic illness and at one point I was told she'd make a great therapy dog and that she also had the temperament and intelligence to learn some service tasks. However, within this past year, she became aggressive toward two of our other dogs (she's lived with them for years and gotten along beautifully, so it was completely unexpected), and, after numerous vet visits and consults with behaviorists and trainers, the only thing we can do right now is to keep them all separated or rehome. Separating them isn't fair long term; if we have to do it, we will, but if we can find her a loving home, that would probably be much easier on her and our other animals. I hate to rehome my baby - she and I are very much bonded and she's been through a lot with me. But I think she needs to be the only pet in the home, and perhaps she can go somewhere she'll get more individual attention. She does have some arthritis that she takes medication for. She also has a heart condition that is currently benign (pulmonary stenosis). She's been checked by a cardiologist and doesn't need ongoing care for it at this time. I'm willing to rehome her anywhere in the U.S. Let me know if interested. Thanks!

CathyL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Rehoming 5 year old female Chow

Post by CathyL » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:15 am

Hi
I just signed up on this website and I saw your post.
I live in Michigan and recently had to put my Chow Lab mix, Buddy, to sleep. He was 15 1/2 years old. I am heartbroken. He was the most wonderful dog beautiful, smart and calm. I adopted him from a rescue when he was two.
My husband and I are looking for that mix again. We have no other pets. We live in a beautiful area on a lake. Can you send me a picture of your dog? Also if you have an interest in talking to me please let me know and we can talk.