Puppy Statue?

An archive of the best and most helpful training related topics.
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Puppy Statue?

Post by jaxsun_12 »

We got a chow chow pup today(born nov 22). The problem we are having with him on the first day(could just be nerves) is that he does NOT move. We try to take him outside for a pee, he'll just lay wherever we put him down. So we'll pick up his body to put him in standing position and again, won't move. I don't know these dogs personalities but I'd like to know if this behaviour will continue until he gets used to us or if it is a regular trait. He won't even get up to get a drink or eat. Won't eat treats that are giving to him.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

How was he from the time you picked him up and the time you walked into the house? Was he walking and moving before you got home? It dosn't sound normal but it could be fear or nerves if he was ok up untill he got home. Was he dropped or mishandled in anyway?

I'm sure others will have advice for you and may know what the problem is, you might have him checked out by a vet.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Jeff's questions are very important in determining what's going on! A vet check up is always a good idea as well, then your vet knows who you and your puppy are, Gabbana didn't have papers and we weren't sure if she had her shots when we got her (people claimed they did but had no way of proving it, didn't have the name of their vet etc.., it was all very random), so the day that we got her the first thing we did was go to the vet and get her shots and take de-worming precautionary pills.
But assuming everything at her previous place was good and she's healthy, it's probably just nerves. When I brought Gabbana home she would lay in the corner and not come out, when ever I would go to pet and snuggle with her she would move to a different corner and lay there... she got better in few days when she got used to everything....

Congratulations on your new baby, and glad you found this site early, it has been a life saver for me with lots of daily readings on health, training, temperment etc, when you have some time (well like weeks) you should read thru some of the archives, i did it for a month before I actually joined (it also lets you know who people are). We also require pictures for admission (just joking, but they would be nice)!

Olga and Gabbana
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "He won't even get up to get a drink or eat. Won't eat treats that are giving to him"

What you're describing sounds like he's having a 'freeze reaction'. You've heard of 'fight or flight' stress reaction, well 'freeze reaction' is a more extreme response. When *this* part of the nervous system is engaged during stress, the opposite side of the nervous system is shut off. The part that's shut off, is responsible for relaxation, digestion, movement, feel-good endorphins, sleep, etc.

For example, if pups aren't socialized by being exposed to various experiences, touch, sounds,
the outdoors, etc., and are mostly kept confined during the first fear-imprinting period, at around 8 to 16 weeks, their brains are *overwhelmed* when new experiences occur, because everything new is coming at them faster than their nervous system can deal with it, so they 'freeze' as part of a survival instinct to appear *invisible*, acting like a prey animal would.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Ahhhh, poor baby! Maybe, he's feels lost and vulnerable without his mommy and he's responding with the freeze as Kiwani suggested.
Sounds like he needs a cozy little crate or space where he can see and listen to his new world from a secure place.
If you are not far from his mother, I have taken a small blanket and rubbed the mother down with it to get her scent, then put the scented blanket in the furbaby's bed. I think it helps with the transition time.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

I personally would take him to the vet ASAP. If nothing else it will set your mind at ease. The part that really makes me uncomfortable is when you said you'd pick him up and place him on the grass to go pee and he'd just plop down again and not move. Something doesn't sound right to me, a normal puppy would at least be sniffing the ground and trying to explore a bit. Maybe he has vision or hearing problems. Take him into the vet.
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

I experienced this kind of thing myself before and it's exactly what Kiwani said. In my case I kept petting the puppy and talking to him and after a day or so he finally started moving, eating and drinking. In the end he followed me everywhere I went. So I guess my advice is be patient, he is just really scared right now, but he will come around eventually. I also would consider taking him to the vet, just to be on the safe side.
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

welcome jaxsun. you have come to the right place. you will love it here. the nicest, helpful, and most caring bunch of people i have come across.
with that said, i agree with all the previous replies.
vet!vet! vet!!!! it will make you feel more at ease.
whats the puppies name???
yeah, we like pictures. good luck, and keep us posted. welcome, again.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

Thanks for all the advice guys! He's moving around now and even trying to chase the cats! :lol: he was vet checked before we got him and theres nothing wrong with him. He has his shots and his wormer. So here he is meet "Jacques Lemaire" aka Jack

before bath

in the bath

after bath
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

AWWWWWWW ADORABLE!!!! I'm glad he is feeling more at home!!!
Before long you won't be able to imagine life without him!!
WELCOME
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Awwww...he's adorable. Glad to hear he's doing better.
monicaxyz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by monicaxyz »

congratulations...too cute!!! my dog was / is very fearful also, i was advised to socialize him early and a lot, take him everywhere, let all kinds of other people hold him, noises, etc. the whole time cooing to him and giving him treats and telling him how great and safe the world is for him with you in charge of everything. the earlier you do this the better. congrats again and best of luck with your little darling!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Get use to some of this stuff, it's you he's training, he gave you the, I will frezze and show them routine. He's starting you out with the basic's.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

By the way Jaxsun,
You wouldn't happen to be a big Montreal Canadiens fan would you?? Don't worry, if you are, I won't hold that against you! :lol:
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

jaxsun, im glad jack is feeling more comfy. he is a cutie!! like jeff said, they definately do train us. lol. all the best.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

My boyfriend hate the habs, but i love them :D he's the one that did the first post.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

The thing no one has mentioned is that this "freeze" behavior is not a good thing. This puppy hasn't been socilaized well, or experienced a lot of posistive things, as Kiwani said.

I'd give him a week or two to become confident and attached to you, so he sees you as the person(s) to be counted on in stressful times. Then I'd get started helping him become a well adjusted chow. To do this you are going to have to work with him on socialization and experiences a lot. He's over 3 months old and has most likely had most of his shots. I'd get him into a good puppy class, to work on dog/dog socialization and interaction with others. I'd also take him every where I could to meet as many people as possible and to experience new things to build his confidence and get him used to the world.

This is the behavior seen in puppys who are not handled correctly has young puppys. And if allowed to continue is the behavior that leads to fear biting. No it is NOT normal behavior for a chow or any other dog, although Chows do seem to be one of the breeds more prone to it because they have more natural wariness, (like cats).

Also when you look for a class, if the trainer says that chows are aggressive, undependable, will turn on you..or anything like that; find another class pronto, do not expose your puppy to anything negative. Right now he needs lots and lots of posistive experiences and that is especially true of any training class he is in.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

.......and following on from what Victory says, take him into town and encourage people to say hello to him. He is so cute you will find children will love to pet him. Encourage them to hold their hands out to him and let him sniff him and him sniff them then see if he will allow a little pet.
Take him to the pet store where he is allowed to go in and look at the things. People will be there and encourage him to say hello to them.
Not too quickly though, give him a little time with just you, as Victory says.
Invite neighbours in to just sit and have a cup of tea with you and let him make his own introductions to them.
All this as often as possible - into town as often as you can manage.
And congratulations and good luck! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)