tear stains

An archive of the best and most helpful health related topics.
deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

tear stains

Post by deidre »

hi

I was wondering how i could remove the stains on my chowkid's left eye. See she has/had entropion and i had it sorted out with tacking but it didnt help much because the left eye still tears a little but its starting to dry and get hard and when i clean it theres a stain that wont come off.

Any suggestions as to how i can remove the stains?

Help will be appriciated
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I am not sure, but I know that cleaning them often helps. Not sure after that. I know not much help...
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I think there is a product that helps remove tear stains, people who show dogs use it, you can try a search on google and should find something

dogdad
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

If the eye is still tearing then the problem may not have been corrected.....Bama's Colonel had to have surgery 3 times to correct his Entropian....you need to have it checked to be sure as the eye ball can be damaged. After tacking you shouldn't have tearing any more so he may still have eye lashes rubbing.......not sure what to do about the staining. I have seen products at Pet Smart for that....but I would at least try and see WHY his eye is still tearing....it could be allergies but if he had entropian I would make double sure it has been corrected as it is very painful to your Chow.....I always thing of how just one eyelash bothers me and how a few would feel.
I would also make sure he doesn't have an eye infection, since he is having crusting around the eye now.
Hope this helps......

Thanks Sweetpea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I uwe a product called show eyes, you use it on a soft cloth or something, cotton pads work too, and then you wash it off with clean warm water. If you leave it on and it soaks to the skin it will sting and burn, so make sure you was it off. It's good for all tearing, Firesong has a little tearing everyday, she doesn't have entropion, but she's border line, but luckily Dreamdancer doesn't.

I hope I don't get into trouble for doing this...(i'm at work) :)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "...but its starting to dry and get hard and when i clean it theres a stain that wont come off."

Skin yeasts contribute to the under-eye staining, as does the oil film in the tears. A veterinary eyewash with boric acid works well, not only in keeping down the yeast population, but also for safely rinsing irritants from the eye, such as pollen. "Opticlear" is one of the over-the-counter brands, and contains purified water, boric acid, and preservatives. Boric acid is the active anti-yeast ingredient.

I would squirt a few drops of the solution on a Q-tip, and gently swirl the stain. Keep changing the Q-tip as it picks up the oily stain.

Using diluted hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip to swirl the stain may give faster results, but it's a harsher chemical and needs to be used with *caution* near eyes.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

My Sheena had Entropion surgery 3.5 years ago and tears some, mainly because she likes to rub her entire body in the backyard dirt, and gets dirt in her eyes as a result. :roll:

I clean her eyes and the tear stains with Opticlear and it works well. :wink:
Jennifer & Sheena
deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

thnx

Post by deidre »

thnk you all so much

I just love this forum, every little worry i have or problem that appears i know i can always get help here.

U guys are like family, thnx once again, ill try and see if they stock the opticlear here in SA, if not ill just find something containing those ingredients u guys gave me.
deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

found something

Post by deidre »

I searched online to see if they stock opticlear here and i phoned a few places here, this country doesnt stock it, this country actually stocks nothing, hehe.

Maybe i should move overseas. Any way, what do you people think of Angel's glow? It popped up in my search and reading about it it sounds better than the manual treatment which wont take it away but control it.

plz go to http://www.angelsglow.com and read the info then get back to me and tell me what u think is better, i also noticed on the site that the dogs weight is in lbs, is that pounds? If so my 6 month old chowkid weighs 17kg which would make her 37 pounds and the dosage directions look like its meant only for small dogs?

Plz help, im new to online shopping and overseas goods so i need expert opinion. Thnx
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Okay SA as in Saudi Arabia?
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by deidre »

hey no, SA as in South Africa

Has any one read that angels eye website yet?

I really would like some feedback bout the product, just some advice or maybe someone who's used the product, even just what u chowkid parents think.

So let me no

Thnx

:)
deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by deidre »

oops

I mean angels glow
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

I checked your angels glow web site. It doesn't say anything about what is contained in the product that I can find and their patent is still pending. I only buy products where I know what all the ingredients are.

Opticlear also has eye washes and eye drops for humans which I've used on Sheena. You can read the ingredients on different products at your pharmacy to find Boric Acid as the main ingredient.

Actually, you can make your own by buying some boric acid powder at the pharmacy, boiling pure water, mixing, cooling, just follow the directions on the container. You can use a sterile glass eyedropper to flush the eyes (plastic holds bacteria) and use q-tips to start removing the staining. However, it would need to be as sterile as possible and you would need to make it from scratch every time, no storing in the refrigerator for later use. More time consuming but definitely cheaper!

Check out your pharmacy and see if they have a similar product in the eye section. Good luck.
Jennifer & Sheena
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

"Angel's Glow contains a dilution of Tylosin, a macrolide antibiotic, used to fight infections in dogs and cats . Tylosin is used in the treatment of disease in food producing animals, including beef cattle, swine, poultry, pigs, and all human feed. Since 1961, this treatment is approved by the FDA."

'Angel's Glow' is the same formula as 'Angel Eyes' - if you want to keep dosing your Chow with meds every day...
deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by deidre »

hey

I dont know, i feel giving her the angels glow is like giving her a vitamin supplement everyday, vitamins are good for dogs to keep their immune system up so, angels glow must be good because it contains no harsh chemicals like the solutions you use in and around their eyes do, well at least their website seems legit.

But i stand corrected, the eyes are such delicate things and i need to be 100% sure of what im going to use, i dnt want to hurt her or cause long term damage to the skin under the eye.

So what would be the safest, warm water and a cloth several times a day or should i risk eye drops or a solution to use on a Q-tip?
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Unfortunately, unlike vitamins and most supplements, using a low dose of antibiotics daily is going to quickly have a very detrimental effect on the immune system and natural balance of good bacteria and gut flora in the body. The antibiotics (and this is for all use of antibiotics, short/long term, high/low dose) kill all bacteria in the body...good and bad. Without the good bacteria, the body quickly sees and overgrowth of yeast in the intestines. Once the yeast starts to multiply, you will begin seeing an astonishing number of health problems from simple things like increases allergies, food intolerance, and skin issues on to more severe health issues.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
BeJimmieAmirm
Rank 0
Rank 0

tear stains

Post by BeJimmieAmirm »

Hi folks. I had my patella tendon debrided and the 70 percent thickness tear repaired a month ago. Its coming along well. Anyone able to provide an educated opinion on how long I should wait before kneeboarding? Any rehab tips?
audrey06
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: tear stains

Post by audrey06 »

verna haywood is concerned about managing tear stains in pets. Here's a succinct solution: Regular gentle cleaning and a balanced diet are key.