New HD string re surgery

An archive of the best and most helpful health related topics.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

New HD string re surgery

Post by threedogjeep »

My vet whom i like very much told me after seeing Leela's xrays that since she was past the puppy stage, and was not in pain yet, that she would not recommend surgery. She offered to let me have the film and would recommend an orthopedist for me to talk to. She said since she wasn't limping yet that surgery was not necessary yet. Leela has a hard time getting up, but once up walks and runs fine (although her back legs are bunny legs). The vet also wanted me to feed her the special Science Diet stuff with glucosamine and recommended Glycoflex.
She didn't care much for the science diet..I feed her holistic EP but I do have her on the glycoflex.

Does anyone else feed a special diet for Hip dysplasia? Anybody else give Glycoflex? Does the "surgery solution" sound right to you all?
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I feed her holistic EP but I do have her on the glycoflex."

To start, I would have her on more of an anti-inflammatory omega-3 based protein diet instead of the EP, and would include glutamine to help the body produce glucosamine and to nourish muscle. MSM is also important, and you might consider adding yucca.

I wouldn't use the 'pain issue' to delay surgery, because dogs hide pain, and pain can start changes in muscle, causing other injuries.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I was watching the emergency vet show once and I remember a case that of hip dysplasia, and what Dr. Robert Taylor said was that the earlier you can correct the problem the better because other parts of the joint aren't so affect in the early stages. And it's been my experience as Kiwani says that dogs don't show pain easily, when they do begin to show pain it is because the condition has become quite serious and is therefore harder to treat.

I'd use the nutritional advice that Kiwani gave, I'd also start saving the money for the surgery and start looking for a good vet orthopedic surgeon and get it done as soon as I could. A young dog should never have trouble rising from the floor, even a slippery one shouldn't cause too much difficulty, that she is already is not a good sign. The bunny like use of the hind legs is also a sign of a more than mild problem.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
mich
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hip Surgery

Post by mich »

Hello ThreeDogJeep:

Our very first Chow had the Hip Surgery when she was around 2 and she lived to be almost 14 shy of about a month. I would say for the best part she was fine. The last year was a little hard for her. She had the surgery where they cut part of the hip away. It was done by an Orth Vet. And I must say she was fine, occassionally she had a baby aspirin, for a long time we gave her Glucosmine Condrodin. She learned that certain things she could no longer do. But that was only in her last four years. Up until the age of 10 she ran and jumped on the bed. She also had thyroid problems over active. She was a very smart, excellent and loved addition to our family. We all miss her dearly. She was a small Chow. When she had her surgery she was 42-44 lbs.
And after the thyroid she went down to about 34 lbs. She still looked very healthy. The thyroid messed with her fur the most it wasnt as full and fluffy as it was prior. I hope this is helpful.

I live in Groveport Ohio, and the vet that did her surgery was DR. Land. I highly recommend him. You may email me if you have other questions.
Mich,
Mom to Thunder, Thor and Shu-Ling
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

I am giving Leela Glycoflex III...On week 2 of it twice a day..in two weeks go to once a day.

Where can I get supplements and how do I know they are right? Can I order them?

And are there any specific foods that might be better? Solid gold? Nutro?
Can't find all foods where I live but if one is suggested that would be better I could mail order. Just want to do what is best for her.

The little love adores grooming time, but I often can only get to one side....she had to be manually rolled over for me to get the other side. At night she sits and her back end is like it is glued to the floor. She pushes with her front feet to turn around and look at you.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
mich
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mich »

I am curious, how does she walk, and is she able to get up easier if she is on a rug or carpet.

I dont know anything about the glucoflex, I just used Glucosmine Condrodine.(not sure if spelled correctly)

Contact Ohio State University Animal Clinic

They are excellent.

How about a heated bed for her. I have seen them online or a orthopedic doggie mattress.

Mai-Ling loved the warm sun.I think it made her feel better.

The recovery was tuff but as I said she pulled through fine. However, Dr. Land was top notch and new just what he was doing.
Mich,
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

3DJ: I feel for you & poor Leela.
I am in the same kind of situation you are in.
I have tried to update the thread named "Cruciate Issues" here in the Health Discussion as it has all the details including my trip to the surgeon last Thursday. My boy who is 15 months old has HD in BOTH legs. I wanted to get more views regarding HD as I'm in shock at this situation.
I'm not familiar w/ Glycoflex, I have been giving Hyaflex, which is supposed to be natually in our /theirs bodies.
I'm going to get MSM from the vet tomorrow, it's a powdery substance that can be put on food. Also the surgeon gv me Deramaxx to use for pain instead of Rimdayl. On Sunday, Irish .. for the first time in his life jumped up on our bed. Both my husband & I were in disbelieve. He has never done this. He typically gets the upper part of his body on the bed & we lift his rear part up providing support.
Theonly thing I have changed is the Deramaxx. It must be helping w/ the inflamation & pain? I have talked to 2 vets today & who advised they would not do the hip replacement surgery until he really needed it??? I'm not one to say surgery is the cure, however I can see him leaning side to side w/ his feet & he does the bunny hop also. I'm afraid the stress of his hips may end up affecting one of his knees, which are in excellent shape. How bad is bad? Your poor baby is worse than mine. I even looked into acupuncture & was advised Irishs' HD is not severe enuf???
Ok??

Regarding food, I'm not the one to provide any good indo, for goodness sakes, I've been feeding Iams for some 10 plus years & had no idea my kids were basically eating McDonalds. I'm in the process of switching my chowlings food from crummy Iams to Nutro w/ G & C. Then I saw that Kiwani mentioned omega fatty 3. I wonder if they could get that in another form? Liek Sardines... oh I can just image ones breath after that....
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

3bc...thanks for coming forward. I have felt kind of up on a limb.
What kind of food has been recommended by your vets? I currently feed EP with solid gold canned or ep canned mixed in. I want to get some omega3 too. The one EP holistic says it has Omega3 and Glucosamine chondrotin...but I am not sure if it is really enough to count.

Leela can not get up good whether it's on carpet or wood or concrete or ground. Especially at nite after a full day. She walks fine. Left leg seems to move a little better than the right. Some hopping...Big time hopping up stairs. I put a ramp in and now my 14 year old lab can't hardly push herself up the ramp....grrrrrrhhhh. Maybe if I put some rubber on there so she feels more traction......
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
mich
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mich »

Ok, Folks how about a altered kind of strap that you can slid under your kids bellys with a handle on each end to help them along when they are having a bad day. Preferably made of a soft fabric. My mom made one for her brothers dog to help him with steps and he is getting on in age and it has made a big difference. He is a big black lab I am sure weighs well over 80 lbs.
Mich,
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Mich: Thanks for the heads up. Does your mom make & sell these?

3DJ: Hey there. The surgeon I saw last week didn't ask me what I was feeding Irish. I did volunteer that I was giving him "Winstons" joint formula. It's basically pills that have Glucosamine, shark cartilage, ect.. here is the website for you to look at:www.dogshealth.com. I e-mailed them & Sam called me (they are in CA) immediately as opposed to replying to my e-mail. He also reccomended hyaflex, website:www.hyaflex.com. I used to work for a vet who took a holistic approach & vitamin C was his drug of choice for issues such as these.. vitamin C is in this program I've had Irish on for about 3 weeks. After reading about IAMS on this site I was so embarrased. I spoke w/ gal at Petco who does rescue & she is a vegan so she really researched pet foods. She said NUTRO was the best thus far. Next to Merrick she said Nutro was the best. I do recall a post regarding food & I believe it was you who inquired about Merrick. I brought that up to the gals attention & she stated that may have been a few years ago. She said there is no pet food company that allows the general public to enter & view their plant from start to finish. She suggested can meat w/ the Nutro, Wingaling (what a name) has chicken wings in it that just smash w/ a fork. She said the marrow from the wings provides add'l nutrients. She did say to that our chowlings & not like us w/ regards to driking when they eat. We intake alot of fluids. Our pets or most pets don't drink 7 eat. She suggested to add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water to the Ntro w/ the wingaling. The nutro soaks it up & makes a gravy if you will. This extra fluid is some they wud not hv gotten, butit benifits their kidneys by helping them bread down the protien. She seemed extremly knowledgeable & approached me while I was parusing the foods they had. She asked me what I was currently feeding & about the health of my dogs which is more than I can say for 3 surgeons I've spoken with.
I am feeding Nutro w/ glugosamine & chondriton. It's been 4 days on the dry & they are now comepletely on Nutro & tonite was the 1st time they had wingaling. They devoured their food & looked to me for more for the first time ever. I was however subconciously checking the can food as I spread it out on a paper plate hoping not to find anything in it. All was well.
This past weekend was the first time that Irish actually jumped on the bed. He typically just gets his upper body up on teh bed & me or my husband will support his rear by putting our arm like a sling under his lower abdomen & put him on the bed. We were a bit dazed to see it was Irish that jumped on the bed. He did it again this morning whiel I was tryingto make the bed, kinda like mom, no need to make the bed I'm gonna settle in here. You are such a sweet dad to make a ramp for your kids. I may have missed it in prior posts, how old is Leela? Irish just turned 15 months old. Our house is full of stairs. I briefly mentioned moving & my husband who is pretty good & tollerant about mant things just gv me that look of not happening.
Has your vet given you any meds to help Leela w/ the inflamation & pain? What is Glycoflex III? Lou put a weblink for a company that has a product in a beef jerky like treat w/ more of a holistic approach along the lines of the G&C. I ordered the product today. Hope to have it by the end of the week. Look in the "cruciate issues" I posted & Lou put the weblink there. I'm willing to try anything to help him. 14 Rimadyl pills is like $35, so I find these other routes notto bad. And by judging his reaction of getting on the bed, not once but twice, I think something is working. I spoke w/ yet another surgeon who said to wait for surgery. I'm not gung ho for it, but he basically said when it gets bad enuf then he'll have to have the surgery. How bad is bad? I inquired about adequan injections & he said theat may help. Kiwani can help me out here if I'm wrong, but it's a shot given directly into the tissue of the hip & it's supposed to help promote healthy strong tissue & muscle for strength. I believe he told me it comes from a pig? I'm waiting for a link on it that he was going to send me. Irish does sleep on his bed most of the time. It's filled w/ foam & cushioned. He seems to really like it. I saw Kiwani's response last nite & was like argh... although I'm glad for her time & responce, I can't imagine switching food again. Maybe I can find something to add to his current food w/ omega 3? Haven't figured that out yet. Sorry I just realized I wrote all this & could have answered your question in 1 sentence. Sorry for going on & on.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Thanks for "rambling" I loved it!! So much info!!
Leela is 15 months old. Still a baby!!! She has such zest for life!!

I just went to the Merrick site and saw that they are recalling specific cans of Wingaling because of people finding metal pull tabs in the cans. They did find out the source - apparently the vendor says that some chickens had been marked for kosher. Hmm. Don't know but I know Merrick has had their problems in the past.

I looked up the Hyflex. I could try that. Do you think it or the food or the combination is helping the most??? I can get Nutro at the pet food store up the street...so maybe I should try it?? I did not know that they made a food with G/C. I have two senior dogs...do they make a senior formula as well?

Glylcoflex was recommended by my vet. It's a supplement much like HyFlex. I wonder if both would be too much???

It brings me some comfort to know that someone else was told it is "too early" for surgery.

On another note....is your baby's back end sensitive?
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "And are there any specific foods that might be better? Solid gold? Nutro?"

Solid Gold is considered to be anti-inflammatory. It doesn't contain added animal fats, (inflammatory) and doesn't contain the types of oils which contribute to inflammation. Their 'Wolf King' formula is based on salmon/bison protein, and there's a Holistique formula too. If you can find something similar in your area, possibly based on venison or salmon, those would also be a good protein choices.

For additional omega-3's, you could also add no-salt canned sardines, packed in water; no-salt canned salmon or mackeral, packed in water; chopped dark green leafy vegetables, spirulina, or nori sheet-seaweed (used for wrapping sushi). Chows raised on fish-based diets enjoy the taste of nori. You might also find omega-3 free range eggs in your area. If you want to add omega-3 fish oil capsules, look for 'pharmaceutical grade' in health shops. There are a lot of older posts on omega-3 in the archives, as well.
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Kiwani, thank you for the information. You provide such a wealth of knowledge & I'm grateful for your help. My husband loves sardines, so when he saw your comments about that he was thrilled. I on the other hand can't even stand the smell of them, let alone open a can. My husband said he would gladly handle that task, I told him I wasn't sure I could take 2 of 5 in the house (him, 3 dogs & a cat) with sardine breath. :shock:

3DJ: How ironic, Leela is the same age as Irish????
They do have a zest for life, they are basically out of the toddler stage as I call it & starting to mature.
It just doesn't seem fair. Irish was born on May 20, 2005. Do they share the same bday?
Irish has good days & bad. Today we noticed he didn't seem to be his happy go lucky self, hwoever we had rain here for the majority of the day so the humidity could be the factor. I gv him his pain med, I just can't stand to know he's in pain. I'm frustrated when
my knees ache, I take one advil & it's gone for the rest of the day. I hope his meds are helping him like that. I can't say I've noticed his back end being sensitive. He learned to sit, come, down & give me five in less than 1 hour. The rolling over was a tad hard as he was bit clumsy.

The Nutro w/ G&C that I'm using is for seniors. I called my vet & he said that the senior food has less fat & protein for their bodies to digest & it helps keep their fat levels down. Irish gets protien in other sources, so the vet said it was fine. Wow, thats weird about Merrick. My husband fed the kids 2nite & when he saw the can he was like oh wow, I could eat this. I only purhcased 4 cans, maybe this won't be an option for us. I put the contents of the can onto a paper plate to check the food for anything that shouldn't be there & got the all clear again. This is the 2nd nite that they all ate every drop of their food. I split the can between all 3 & make a gravy w/ water & add it to their dry. I've never even seen SolidGold. I'm probably much older than you but that was a disco show many of us watched years ago, kinda like BandStand.

After reading about the Hyaflex on their site & talking to Sam @ Winstons Joint Formula, I was advised that Hyaflex naturally occures in their bodies, ours too. I haven't been feeding the nutro that long, today is day 5. I've heard G&C is a natural pain reliever, however it typically takes a couple of weeks to work. On the other hand today is 3 weeks Irish has been on the hyaflex & joint formula. I'm begining to think it's the combination of food & the joint formula. There's no other way to explain it. I did put Holy Water on his hips, so that too could be a contributing factor %%-

Irish is very tickelish (spelling?) near his hips. If he has an itch there I attemptto help him & he scrutches down & stands on 1 leg while the other is doing the thumper motion. I've never had to push down on his rear to get him to sit, he does it on command. He'll let me brush him there. When he's standing I put one arm under his belly close to his read hips & help hold him steady & hold him up.

Do you have x-rays of Leela hips? I got a disk from the surgeon today & was able to open it & look at them. I wonder if anyone on the site is a vet? I'd luv to get their opinion. I can e-mail them to you if you want. They are not that large & I saved them in adobe format. I have yetto hear back from the University & I e-mailed them on Monday. Today I forwarded the e-mail again w/ the photos. I am interetsed to see what they say.

You know I was thinking today that on your ramp you could put the gripper stripes, I've seen them at Home Depot & Lowe's. Or you may even be able to use the ones our moms used to put in the tub so we didn't slip.

I am sad for both Leela & Irish to be in this position. ButI am glad to know that I too am not the only 1 getting the same response as you. The only thing I can think of is that there bodies are still growing. They are as biga s they will get size wise, but maybe bones are still developing, along w/ muscle & tissue. Are you giving Leela any pain medicine? I have read in a prior post & I believe it was Kiwani that said that MSM is a good suppliment to give. I 'll have to go back & find the discussion & look into MSM. I believe it's a powder that you sprinkle on their food w/ suppliments. I would assume that like us, when you take a vitamin, your body uses what it needs & discards the rest thru waste. I wouldn't think using The Glycoflex III & Hyaflex would create an issue as they each serve a different purpose. I believe the Hyaflex acts like the sinovial fluid that cushions our bones & the Glycoflex helps maintain the cartilage & promote cartilage regenration? Or visa versa. I'm sure Kiwani could help with that.

I'm at a cross roads on this. I'm terrified for him to have the surgery, but feel the same way if I wait until it's so bad he can't move like I'm being told to do. I felt like saying what if it was your parent or child who had a similar situation, would you wait? Of course I didn;t as I was frustrated. Please lets stay in touch & keep each other posted about whats going on.

Celeste
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I've never even seen SolidGold. I'm probably much older than you but that was a disco show many of us watched years ago, kinda like BandStand."

Solid Gold holistic has been around since the early 1970's :)

Re: "I believe the Hyaflex acts like the sinovial fluid that cushions our bones & the Glycoflex helps maintain the cartilage & promote cartilage regenration?"

The glucosamine is like a building block of the hyaluronic acid (hyaflex), and another building block comes from the B vitamins.

The MSM sulphur is important for strong cartilage, etc., helps reduce inflammation and pain, etc.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

I am getting so much good info here my head is spinning. I want to give the kids Canidae but it is a hike to purchase it. Maybe I will try the nutro since I mix it with canned for more protein maybe it would be okay????

So Kiwani, should I give Glycoflex, Hyaflex, MSM AND fish oil for Omega 3??? Seems like a lot,,,, but I want Leela to be able to go as long as she can.

Leela walks fine. Going upstairs and sometimes at a certain running gate she does the bunny type thing keeping her back legs together.

Yes I have thought of adding the treads to the ramp and will do that...it will help Caitlyn and leela both to get up without slipping.

I broke down tonight and wen ahead and mixed in the canned food after all. I think a lot of moms do that for their chowdren and other furkids.
Leela has been such a joyful addition to our house.....maybe I'll go for one more puppy before I AM TOO old. BTW, I am 52 in September and I very much do remember Solid Gold the show.

I live in PA but am from KY and yes, willow, I am a both a Cardinal and Wildcat fan since I lived in both cities. Love that Rick Patino!!!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "So Kiwani, should I give Glycoflex, Hyaflex, MSM AND fish oil for Omega 3??? Seems like a lot,,,,"

It depends on which Glyco-flex formula you're using. Here's an excerpt below, showing that formula II contains 500mg of MSM, and formula III contains 1000mg of MSM, while formula I contains none. The glucosamine in *all* the formulas is one of the building blocks of the hyaluronic acid (hyaflex) the 'lubricating fluid', and formula III contains the most. Formula III *also* contains other building block ingredients to help create 'lubricating fluid'. If you aren't going to add dark green leafy vegetables or the seaweed to the diet, then formula II and III contain the manganese the greens would have provided. Lastly, fish oils have an anti-inflammatory effect, so it depends on how much inflammatory animal fats/inflammatory vegetable oils are in the diet you've chosen.

Excerpt:
1 - Glyco-Flex ® I contains 500mg of Glucosamine HCl.

2 - Glyco-Flex ® II contains 750 mg of Glucosamine, 500 mg of Methylsulfonylmethane, and Manganese.

3 - Glyco-Flex ® III contains 1,000 mg each of Methylsulfonylmethane and Glucosamine along with Vitamins E and C, Grape Seed Extract, Glutathione, Selenium, and Manganese for additional support.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I have thought of adding the treads to the ramp and will do that...it will help Caitlyn and leela both to get up without slipping."

If it's a home-made wooden ramp, you can also consider tacking down a layer of roll roofing - the kind with the gravel chip surface. It'll give much better traction in the colder and icy weather, than the rubber.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

kiwani
thanks so much for the education. thanks so much for replying. I have leela on Glycoflex III twice a day right now....going to once a day in a week. I might add a some Omega 3, but otherwise .. I was on EP holistic and am now working toward Solid Gold....wonder if Nature's Variety is better? wanted canidae but it is not sold nearby. I will have to look at ingredients. And the canned I mix in is Solid gold (I change the flavors). I don't give them anything else...occasionally some steak or chicken but not regularly. I think I am doing pretty good here...I hope she continues to do well.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I think I am doing pretty good here..."

I think you are too! If you do find a detailed ingredients list for 'Nature's Variety', post it here and we'll all take a look at it. I think that's the brand Rogan's mom decided upon too.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

One of Nature's Variety products

Raw Instinct
Grain-Free Nutrition for Dogs

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
CRUDE PROTEIN (min.) 42.0%
CRUDE FAT (min.) 22.0%
CRUDE FIBER (max.) 3.2%
MOISTURE (max.) 10.0%

OHTER NUTRITIONAL DATA
CALCIUM (min.) 2.49%
PHOSPHORUS (min.) 1.43%
VITAMIN E (min.) IU/kg 128.6
VITAMIN C* (min.) mg/kg 50
OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS* (min.) 3.61%
OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS* (min.) 0.69%
* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

CALORIES
490 / cup

VITAMINS
CAROTENE mg/kg 8.29
VITAMIN A IU/kg 21318
VITAMIN D IU/kg 2433
VITAMIN K mg/kg 0.75
THIAMINE mg/kg 19.25
RIBOFLAVIN mg/kg 12.25
PANTOTHENIC ACID mg/kg 23.27
BIOTIN mg/kg 0.608
FOLIC ACID mg/kg 0.675
CHOLINE mg/kg 5868
VITAMIN B12 mg/kg 0.236
VITAMIN B6 mg/kg 4.4
NIACIN mg/kg 79.87
IODINE mg/kg 5.5

MINERALS
SODIUM 0.389%
POTASSIUM 0.878%
CHLORINE 0.688%
MAGNESIUM 0.142%
SULFUR 0.383%
MANGANESE mg/kg 33.6
IRON mg/kg 333.8
COPPER mg/kg 25.86
ZINC mg/kg 277.1
SELENIUM mg/kg 0.794

AMINO ACIDS
METHIONINE-CYSTINE 1.384%
METHIONINE 0.91%
CYSTINE 0.474%
LYSINE 2.98%
TRYPTOPHAN 0.48%
THREONINE 2.11%
ISOLEUCINE 1.866%
HISTIDINE 1.031%
VALINE 2.104%
LEUCINE 3.596%
ARGININE 2.665%
PHENYLALANINE-TYROSINE 1.95%
TAURINE 0.085%

Raw Instinct Grain-Free Nutrition for Dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile for All Life Stages.

INGREDIENTS
Chicken Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Pumpkinseeds, Menhaden Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Chicken Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid), Kelp, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Sea Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Cottage Cheese, Chicken Eggs, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Raw Instinct
Grain-Free Nutrition for Dogs"

That high-protein, high-fat formula is more of a performance food for working, sporting, or agility dogs, similar to Innova's 'Evo' or Solid Gold's 'Barking at the Moon'.

Looking at the first three ingredients, it contains chicken meal, a pure starch (tapioca), and chicken fat. Looking at the list for descending order of ingredients, it contains more clay, vitamin supplements, and salt, than it does cottage cheese, eggs, turkey hearts, liver, vegetables, salmon oil, etc. It has low amounts of anti-inflammatory omega-3's, and high amounts of the omega-6's.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Wow I am learning so much from you! I think I'll make the extra trip to get the canidae.....and if they like it I can have order it delivered...I think at amazon and I thought it said free shipping! While I am there I will look for some Omegas as well as a supplement. I have ground flax seed here athome too
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I have ground flax seed here at home too"

Keep in mind that dogs have a harder time doing the 'conversion' mentioned in the excerpt below.

Excerpt:

"Marine(fish) Oil, is the best source of long chain Omega 3s, containing EPA & DHA. Long chain Omega 3 does not have to be converted by the body in order to be utilized. Flax seed (oil) is a short chain Omega 3 and needs to convert to long chain in order to be utilized. After conversion, it offers little or none of the EFAs required."
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

3dj: How is your baby girl?
I've been out of commision w/ my back. Took a spill down the stairs in April of this year & apparently my sciaticas were pinched or something like that. Muscle relaxers has me asleep before 8pm all last week. I feel like it will take me weeks to catch up on whats been going on.
A friend of mine send me an e-mail for the sling like tthing that mich mentioned in this thread. I'll post it tomorrow on this thread since I'm an idiot & left the info at work. I stayed w/ the nutro w/ glucosamine & chondriton. Hyaflex once a day & I finally got the sea chondriton beef sticks which Lou reccomended. Irish has been doing very well. He's been jumping up on the bed almost daily w/ no assistance from us. Plus he had the zoomies for the first time ever in the house & took a flying leap in the air towards the bed & landed in the middle of the bed. He stopped & looked over at me like look mom I did it & then took off again. I strongly believe the Deramaxx for his pain has helped greatly. The surgeon gv me a bottle of 7 pills nearly 3 weeks ago & Irish is to take 1/2 a pill & we have 4 pills left. I know it does take at least 3 to 4 weeks until you see some improvement. I also found time released msm capsuls which I open & mix into his food.

Kiwani,thank you so much for this wealth of knowledge.
You must have the healthiest chowling(s).
I too am trying to digest the information & see whats best for Irish.
I've switched foods, from Iams to Nutro for seniors which has less fat & protein but has glucosamine & chondriton.
All 3 split a can of Meyers, their favorite is Thanksgiving day feast. Irish gets a sea chondriton beef stick which I chop into little pieces & add to his food, along w. 500 mg of msm. I give him Hyaflex in the morning. After reading the about the 3 Glycoflex's, maybe I need to make a change?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New HD string re surgery

Post by kiwani »

TTT