North Central (Ohio) Chowfest

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Will you attend the North Central Chowfest on Oct. 13th?

yes
63%
no
38%

Total votes: 8

enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

North Central (Ohio) Chowfest

Post by enchantedonyx »

I hate to take over since this was originally pfordeb and Sharon and other's project, but I'm going to go ahead and post the details, as we know them now.

What: CHOWFEST!
When: Saturday, October 13th at noon until ? (park closes at dark)
Where: Schellin Park, Wooster, OH
Bring: Yourself, your Chows, Chow's license and rabies tag, leash for when not in the dog area of the park, rain/cold weather gear (there is a picnic shelter but nowhere indoors).

Food: Potluck. Everyone bring a dish or two to share. Bring place settings for yourselves and drinks. There isn't anywhere to buy anything at the park. There are outlets at the shelter for crockpots.

I decided to make a thread here instead of continuing to discuss in general discussions.

RSVPs here, as well? Just to have an idea of who is planning to attend.
Last edited by enchantedonyx on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Great dog park with water fountain and waste receptacles. In addition to a fenced in off leash dog park, Schellin has 2 Softball fields, a picnic pavilion, restrooms, children's play area, gabion lined stream and a pond with fountain. This makes Schellin Park an ideal picnic site, or summer softball field of dreams. Schellin Park is also the home of the Wooster Skate Park. Location: Schellin Park is located on Maple Street between Freedlander and Henry Streets.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Wild chows could not keep us away!!!

We can do potluck...sandwiches...casseroles..salads etc....stuff that doesn't have to be warmed up.
Mid october should still be fairly nice and everyone can bring something.

Wooster is a great in the middle "spot" for us all.

Sharon, JR and Cheyenne

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Auddymay wrote:Great dog park with water fountain and waste receptacles. In addition to a fenced in off leash dog park, Schellin has 2 Softball fields, a picnic pavilion, restrooms, children's play area, gabion lined stream and a pond with fountain. This makes Schellin Park an ideal picnic site, or summer softball field of dreams. Schellin Park is also the home of the Wooster Skate Park. Location: Schellin Park is located on Maple Street between Freedlander and Henry Streets.
Auddy, This is the description from the city's website. It sounds great, but I just wondered if it's as great as it is described by someone who works for the city :D

Sharon, I was thinking the same thing. I hope the weather holds out for us!
~Renae
<br>

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

:( I wish we could go but we are planning on going to Bama's chowfest in AL (assuming hubby cna get off work :roll:). I really want to see you guys! I hope you all have a fantastic time!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I wish I could go, but October 13th is the same date as Alabama chowfest.
If your date is not set in stone, please let us know, so that we may attend, as well. I would love to meet more of you guys and your chowkids!!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Now that would be great, shift the Ohio event one way or the other and be able to meet many more Chows people.

Either way Terrina and I will be there.

Larry
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

I think that Sharon and Deb had set that date because it lined up with the southern Chow-fest, assuming that there wouldn't be people wanting to travel far enough to attend both. I guess we were wrong!

I didn't set the date so I don't think I can change it :D

But I'm not 100% committed to that date, either.
~Renae
<br>

Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

?before making a change see if anyone will be able to make it to Ohio in addition to the southern Fest. Just thinking out loud here. You just let us know where and when and we will hop on our pony and show up.

Larry and Terrina
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Larry, now you have a good idea!
I don't really know that a date change would make a difference?
I'm just throwing ideas out there, as well.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Kind of looking like two Chow Fest on the same day? Will be kind of fun to try and send real-time pictures, I will bring the digital and the laptop.

Do we have a tally of who is coming to the Ohio event?

Larry
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Okay, I went to Schellin Park today. Gorgeous day and it's only an hour drive for me so I went to check it out.

The city's description is quite accurate and I found the whole place to be very nice and just perfect for a Chowfest. The skate park was very busy, but there was no one in the dog park or on the playground or even playing ball. Green and very pleasant. Plenty of parking right beside the fenced dog area. Dog area is very large (at least I think so, but I've never been to a dog park before). Entirely fenced with
a 5foot, plastic coated chainlink fence. Double entrance to dog area to prevent escapees. Lots of trashcans, plastic bags, and benches for seating inside the dog area. The picnic shelters are clean (just some graffitti) and there is a charcoal grill and electric outlets (not a lot of those, though). Picnic shelter about 200(?) feet from dog area.

Some pictures of Chowfest destination!

Parking lot

bridge and dog area

Double entrance to dog area

Inside the dog area

Rest of the park

Playground, in case anyone is bringing kidlings as well as Chows

Picnic shelter

Dog Park rules!

Larry, I will also bring my digital camera, webcam, and laptop, but I don't have one of those fancy cards that allows you pick up wireless everywhere. I'm old-school and have a cable modem/router. :D
~Renae
<br>

Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Larry, I will also bring my digital camera, webcam, and laptop, but I don't have one of those fancy cards that allows you pick up wireless everywhere. I'm old-school and have a cable modem/router.
Yep me too. Hope someone has a Sprint wireless card? If not semi-live updates :lol:

Larry
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

My big concern with changing the date is the weather....Ohio can be very unpredictable and I worry if we make it later that it will be cold...the chows might love it but warmer would be nicer for their "parents"

For those that would like to come...we can vote.
Unfortunately...I cant make Alabama on my own with 2 chowdren...so I have to vote yes for Ohio.

FYI...Alan has expressed that he might like to come also...I haven't made up my mind whether I want him to.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

I was concerned about the weather, too. Amanda and I attend a festival the weekend after that every year. Some years it's gorgeous- sunny and warm- and other years we freeze and get wet with rain. In fact, we had sleet a couple of years ago. So I don't want to wait too long, either.

My mom might be coming, too! She is Tess and Fiona's official mom and was very excited at the idea of coming to Chowfest when I mentioned it to her.

So we have people:

Renae (enchantedonyx)
Amanda (wildthings)
Wendy (wildthings and I's mom)
Sharon (sharon)
Alan (formerly of Alan and Sharon) possibly
Larry (Larry Harris)
Terrina (Terrina Harris)
Debbie (pfordeb)
Forrest (pfordeb's hubby)
Patty
Surprise guest?

Chows:
Tess
Fiona
JR
Cheyenne
Ai Shu
Cinnamon
Brandon
Sullivan
Gilbert
Charlie
Kirby
Surprise chow?
Last edited by enchantedonyx on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Renae
<br>

Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

Brandon will also be coming with us. We will just have to find a very furkids friendly motel. One with a bigger room then we had at the last one.

Terrina
Thank you sweetpea!!
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Terrina, I have family in that area and I'm sure one of them would know a great place. Let me get in touch with them and see if they have any suggestions!

Adding Brandon to the list of attending Chows.
~Renae
<br>

Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Come on Michigan... we need a good showing in Ohio. Any more MSU grads coming? Audymay?

Rumor has it there is a Chow boy bringing his family to meet us all. My lips are sealed :lol: It is a long drive for them.

Anyone know of a Michigan BBS to post this to?

Larry
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thank you so much Renae for all your scouting and help getting things organized. I'm pretty sure Patti is coming with Kirby. We might come together, though we haven't met yet, so don't know how the dogs will do together. I'm also not sure if my husband (Forrest)is coming because he works that day. I hope it's OK to bring my honorary chow, Charlie (I "don't leave home without him"). So from our house for sure it will be:

Debbie (pfordeb)
Sullivan -- mostly chow
Gilbert -- chow/lab
Charlie "chowhuahua"
courtsey of Sweetpea
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Charlie "chowhuahua" love that spelling :lol: So it looks like the 13th is the date, hope so Terrina just made reservations. Will post hotel informaiton as soon as we confirm they are dog friendly.

Can't wait to meet everyone and all their babies \:D/

Wish we had more room... we have lots of babies to share. One of our newest looks like scrappy doo. Think of a Basset Hound with a Chow head.

Larry
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Well, I don't know where Terrina made reservations but my cousin says that the Econo Lodge on Rt. 30, just outside of Wooster is dog friendly. She is big in the show world so has traveled all over the place with dogs. She knows where to stay :D
~Renae
<br>

Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

We wanted a room that was a Suite and they don't have any at the Econo Lodge. So we are staying at the Super 8 Motel in Seville, Oh. Phone number is 1-330-769-8880. I wouldn't call tonight though. It is the girls first night and she didn't know how to get our reservation number. So I am calling back tomorrow to make sure they have us registered.
Don't forget to add my Brandon. He is Chow/?. No one has figured out yet what the other mix is. I just say lovable.

Terrina
Thank you sweetpea!!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Terrina and Larry....Seville is a very nice little town and right next to Wooster...and Wooster is a lovely town....really quaint and full of culture since the University is there.

I am really looking forward to our chowfest and meeting everyone and our chows and honorary chows.

Renae...thanks so much for taking the time to scout out the park and take those wonderful pictures...it was beyond the call....thank you, thank you!

We will have to set up our "menu" next week.

As far as a suprise guest....hey they did this to me at my mini chowfest in May...and I had to guess myself blue...not again....HINTS..please!!!

And should I let Alan come if he wants to? He is legally Cheyenne's owner but we decided to keep JR and Cheyenne together when he moved 4 streets away.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

This will be so much fun!!! Me and the two girls in a car together may be interesting :lol: , but we can't wait. Fortunately, even if my mom cannot come, Renae can take one of my girls...their a little bit of a handful...well behaved, but they are chows :roll: . Larry and Terrina, Fiona will have some more new fur to show you by then!
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I wish I could come, but am unable to make this one. I'd love to see my old buddies from our May chowfest again, and of course meet new ones as well.