Special Event: Midwest Chowfest

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

Special Event: Midwest Chowfest

Post by Auddymay »

Hear ye! Hear ye! I have sent PMs to everyone who showed an interest in our little Chowfest. Including me, there were 16 Chow families that showed an interest. These PMs stated that we would tenatively be having a festival in the Indiannapolis area on Saturday, May 19th, and a second one on Sunday, May 20thin the Cleveland area. There are more people near the Indiana location by a ratio of about 2 to 1. This does not mean that anyone is commited to one or the other. I sent PMs based on location. I for one, will be hitting both of them.

If you have not recieved a PM, and want to go, PM me or Chris. I know there are a few that didn't acknowledge wanting to go that I thought would.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Will the chow fest near Cleveland be on or off leash? We're sooooo super excited!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Sharon and I are looking around for a leash free park, and she also has a fenced back yard, but it is not large and a half dozen or so dogs could really tear it up, I think. I gotta say, if we don't get a few more responses, we just might end up in Springfield yet. We'll see how it shakes out. As I told Sharon in a PM, the actual turnout is always much lower than the interest people initially show when things like this are planned. Me, I just assume everyone is a fanatic like me when it comes to things they really want. Imagine, we will have real adventures to write about!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I really wouldn't mind 6 chows in my backyard. I don't really plant too much in the way of flowers there since JR and Cheyenne...especially The PRINCESS Cheyenne, just stomp them down :shock: My flowers go in the front.
It is just not a very big yard and even with zoomies by all may not be enough.

As I told Auddymay, we have some of the most beautiful metroparks anywhere...with a nice river running through...the hiking/walking paths are phenomonal. There are also large areas with tables and benches for those not prone to walking a lot. The areas outside of Cleveland proper is actually the city of trees...the emerald necklace.
I am not crazy about any of the doggie parks around me that are leash free....they are "phooey" which I consider unhealthy for the kids but I will research more.
We also have a large polo field attached to the parks that I will check out. All of these areas are very close to me and still very "countryfied feeling!"

But after a great walk etc,my house and my yard would be perfect for socializing and a barbeque....and of course leash free
Any by May...we may even be lucky and not have anymore snow...yes, it snowed again last night and this morning!!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

That sounds awesome gals!

Sharon, I know what you mean, I don't like the dog parks around here either, I prefer the regular parks. Much, much nicer and lots more room.

I thought you would have gotten snow! It's just rain here.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chris

Post by chris »

Bump
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

Does anyone know of a pet friendly hotel in the Indianapolis area?

Terrina
Last edited by Terrina Harris on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you sweetpea!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I will look up a hotel, I don't have time right now, because I have an appointment. I did want to throw this out there for the Indianafest folks to chew on. I am also going to the Ohiofest on Sunday, so if some of you want to caravan there with me...let me know! This is North of Indiannapolis. http://home.insightbb.com/~dentonab/ If it is agreeable, I will contact them and see if us using it would be problematic.
SaintGabriel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Indianapolis

Post by SaintGabriel »

I am new here, can we attend? I live very close to Indianapolis?
SaintGabriels keeper
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Of course you can come. Newbies and Oldies alike! I looked you up on my road Atlas (don't leave home without it). You are very close! Do you know anything about the town of Lafayette? That is where the dog park in the link I posted is located.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Going with the Lafayette theme, these are Chow-friendly hotels in that area. http://www.letsgopets.com/?src_aid=Glgp ... IgodwhLoBA
Last edited by Auddymay on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i am sosad i can not get away [norafford the fuel] to attend with my friends..

but you are all allways welcomehere ,

http://www.dovertn.com/

dover town
Stewart county tennesee
Y"all come now !! Hear
i offer upstairs room , down stairs rooms , camping on the ground .

if you get to this place Image

http://www.nps.gov/fodo
Fort Donelson
February 14th, 1862 dawned cold and quiet.

you are close enough to holler us down
they say this view in short chow walk fromthe place is the most photographed view in tennesee,

Ciao Chow now

mrb

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Hey Michael, I wish you could come, too. You could probably do the Alabama getaway, though. I always think in my head that all of the south is one big neighborhood, though. Personally, I am renting a puddle jumper. I can't quite bring myself to actually rent one though, I prefer a full size, or luxury model. The thought of me driving one of those little cars with a sewing machine motor is daunting! I keep thinking about the gas prices, and what I would be saving if I got a 4 banger instead of a V-8. I may swing by the airport later and take a look at the selection. Probably a Geo or such. I used to own a Pinto, don't know why I'm being so snooty now.

Unless something major happens folks, we will be having the first leg of the festival in Lafayette, IN on Saturday, May 19th. Have proof of rabies vaccine, as we will be required to show it. Passes are $5 for the day, and we need to pick those up at a local feed store. I will post directions as the time draws near.

The second leg of our Chowfest will be in Cleveland on Sunday, May 20th. Sharon will be doing much of the co-ordinating for that one, since she is right in the area, and knows the best places (Thank-you, Sharon). Again, more information will be given as we get closer to the date of the festival.

Personally, I am getting excited about our Festivals. I am so hepped to meet many of my favorite Chow personalities, as well as their servants! Hanging with Chris at the hotel will be an adventure in itself!
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Hi... Have been out of the loop for awhile, but do try to log in and read up as often as possible. When is the Midwest chowfest (for Indianapolis) scheduled? We live in a suburb of Indy and would love to have Tempest and Ming come to visit you all... :?:
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

bump

JR AND CHEYENNE

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

May 19th is the date- weekend before Memorial Day weekend. In Lafayette. You are more than welcome to come. Read some of my posts above this one, it has the park info where we will be having it. We have not set any time as of yet. As we get a bit closer, I will post more info.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I am already instructing JR and Cheyenne on the finer points of hosting.

The more the merrier...we welcome everyone that would like to cruise up to Cleveland.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Oh I wish Tess and I could come...we are only about 2 hours directly south of Cleveland in Marietta, but Tess would throw-up before we made it out of Marietta. That and with a few very large papers due soon, my weekends are devoted to school :-? Maybe next time!
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
SaintGabriel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SaintGabriel »

Auddy,

I don't know much about Lafayette, however I have a son going to college in Muncie Indiana. If you need me to make a trip up to check out the site, let me know and I can try to schedule it. I think I am about an hour or so away and I can visit with my son as well.

I can't wait. I hope Gabe likes all the chow buddies.
SaintGabriels keeper
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Angela, right? If you would like to take the time to do that, it would be great! All I have to go on is the website. The layout looks good, and it is near the river and alot of trees, so how bad could it be? You would need to purchase a day pass for $5 to use the park. That is at Buckles Feed Depot,220S. 4th Street, Lafayette, IN. On the map, it appears the park is on the south side of the town, which means closer to you. If you do, I look forward to the review.

The weather here is finally getting nice, but I see the cold will rear it's ugly head again on Monday.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Yes, it is. I sent an e-mail, because I worry over every little thing when I plan a trip. I actually love planning and booking my vacations. This is the letter, and response I got.

Hi Audrey!
We actually get a fair share of out-of-state users with the university
in town, so that is definitely not a problem.

When you get to town, you will need to go to Buckles Feed Depot (I'm
sure you saw that on the website) to get a day pass. Each of you will
need to fill out a form and show your proof of rabies and they will
give you a card that's good for the entire day.

Before you come down, you should definitely check our website. The
park is near the Wabash River and we occasionally have to close due to
flooding. If the park is closed, we put it on our website or you can
also e-mail me to make sure it's open before you come.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope you enjoy the Park!

On 4/18/07, Audrey Stromberg <auddymay@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
> My name is Audrey Stromberg, and I live in West Michigan. I belong to an
> online group of Chow owners, and we in the Mid-West are arranging a
> 'Chowfest'. I found the link to your lovely park, and we would like to
> gather there to meet. We will be coming from Michigan, Illinois, and
> Indiana. Now, before you wonder if we have aggressive dogs, let me assure
> you that all the Chows are well behaved and exemplar examples of what a Chow
> can be. There will also be a couple non-Chows; a Pomeranian and a Lab. There
> are, as of now, only 6 of us going to the gathering. Before we go all that
> way, I wanted to make certain we won't be turned away for coming from out of
> state. I am aware that we need to show a rabies certificate, which is not a
> problem. We will be there on May 19th. Please e-mail me back at
> auddymay@hotmail.com. Anything that we are unaware of from our distance,
> that you may think we should know would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank-you in advance,
> Audrey Stromberg

--
Karah Rawlings
Director of Operations
Dog Park Association of Greater Lafayette, Inc.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

You have picked a wonderful place to have a Chow Fest. Thank you so much for pulling all of this together. Terrina and the Chows are so looking forward to this trip. They said I could tag along :lol:

Larry
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Having seen how a river can flood, I am taking the flood warning to heart, and will scope out an alternate site in Lafayette just in case. That way, if the worst did happen, we could go somewhere higher up. It's more fun when you can let the Chows run free, or sit in a picnic area and watch with your Chow on lead, as you prefer. But all on lead will still be okay, should it come to it.

Ohio Chowfest folks- Lafayette is 280 miles southwest as the crow flies. If you have the daring-do to do all that driving (I do), feel free to come to Indiana as well.

Chris is planning on driving to Lafayette on friday, and staying in a hotel (Chow friendly). After the chowfest on Saturday is done, both she and I are driving to Fort Wayne for the night, where we will stay at another doogie inn. She thinks we could get one room and split the cost- 2 women (both Blondes), a teenager, 2 pre-teens, 3 Chows and a Pomeranian. I bet Jeff will have a comment on that...anyway, that knocks 100 miles off the trip to Cleveland. on Sunday, it's on to Cleveland and part deux of our big Chow adventure.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

http://parks.city.west-lafayette.in.us/hollow.asp This park looks okay as an alternate in case of flooding by the Wabash River at the dog park.