Southern (Alabama) Chowfest...Pics!

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Will you be at Bama's ChowFest?

Wild Chichuahuas couldn't keep me away!
60%
I can't get away from those wild Chihuahuas, sorry.
40%

Total votes: 15

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I gave LuLu a bath today, more loose hair on her as well, guess they are just going through their fall shedding period.

I should be there around 11 AM, see you then! :D
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I hope you all have sooooo much fun!!! I cnanot wiat to see video and pics! Everyone drive safely (although I imagine that most of you are in AL by now). We'll miss being there sooooooo much.

I decided to work today and tomorrow morning so that I can have another couple of days off instead for a future chowfest. :(

I'll be thinking of all you all day tomorrow and can't wait to hop on early afternoon to check out the latest! You too northern chowfesters!!!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Hope you guys are having a great time. Here's what I just sent to the Northern crowd:

We're on our way! Unfortunately Patti just called me and she has to take her dad to the hospital (gall bladder -- been there, done that, so I understand). Anyway, we're bringing the hot dogs and hamburgers plus cakes. But, we're going to miss Kirby, Patti, and our AV connection. OMG -- I just remembered I need my real camera -- gotta go.

Anyway, I have Vicki's cell phone number and e-mail, but we may have to post pictures later.

Debbie
courtsey of Sweetpea
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

OK, southern version -- maybe I should check the photo section, but are you having so much fun that no one has posted pictures?
courtsey of Sweetpea
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

pfordeb wrote:OK, southern version -- maybe I should check the photo section, but are you having so much fun that no one has posted pictures?
Hmmmm...makes me wonder what you all where drinking out of your mason jars :lol: !
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Southern Chowfest ROCKED!!!!

Finally a moment to sit down and catch my breath! WE HAD AN AWESOME TIME!!!! So amazing to finally meet everyone! I took over 400 pictures, so it has taken me some time to go through them and here are just a few to start with. I will get more posted in the days to come

NAOMI AND ME (MISSI)

COLONEL

MIMI (I think that Mimi and Colonel are litter mates!)

TIMBER

LULU

BETTY

KEARRA

KYRA (She loved that fan!)

HANNAH (Not so happy that I was running around like the poperrotzi - sp?)

EMMA

BENNY (Our resident bear rug for the day - he likes to sleep!)

LADY

Sherill getting purple kisses from some of our red chows! ((Colonel, Naomi and Mimi - left to right)

Ok trust me, lots more pictures to come in the days to follow. I've got some serious editing to do!
Missi

created by the AMAZINGLY TALENTED sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Beautiful Chows, wonderful times. I'm so jealous! Stories! We need stories! I love the Lady shot, Lily sits/stands on the steps like that too, only she does a lay/stand-owing to her stubby legs!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I'm jealous, too! What a Chowfest! More pictures and stories?
Great to see Benny and Lady again! (Jerry - she looks so much mature these days :) )
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Beautiful pictures! I'm thinking next year we could all get together somewhere in the upper mid-south -- Nashville?
courtsey of Sweetpea
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oh it looks like you all had such an amazing time!!! What a wonderful day!!! I can't wait to see more pics. All the photos are just amazing, I really like that picture of Lady too!!

Sher, look at you getting all those lovely purple kisses, taht is so super sweet and I am so jealous! :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chris

Post by chris »

Oh dang... Im jelouse too! :-) Looks like a great time. So far all of the chow fests have been a hit.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Lets see, where to begin...

First, High fives and kudos to Bama and Mark for being such great hosts and making it all possible, I had a great time and so did my three (they slept all the way home and conked out on the floor as soon as we walked in the door)

It was great to meet so many cc.org members and put faces to names after all this time. I was covered in dog hair and slobber by the time it was over (mainly Emma and Hannah) but I got plenty of face licking from the others.

Weather was fabulous, perfectly sunny, cool, clear fall day...
The view from the deck was a perfect setting for a Chowfest Bar-B-Q, I can't wait for the next Chowfest, already looking forward to it.

Also, Bama presented me with funds collected to help with Saving Chows, I was quite taken back by it and appreciate it so much. I will put it to good use and keeping moving forward on the project. Starting a real rescue takes a lot more than I thought, but in the end I know it will be all worth it. Again, Thank you so much!

See you at Chowfest 2008!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Group photo" Bama uses The Twirly Thang to sedate the chowdren for photo op!

Mark here, Sherill, Colonel and I had a great time. Thanks to all that came and special thanks to Missi for all her help. More Photos: :D

NOTE: Humans and chowdren after The Twirly Thang takes effect!
Image The Gang and most Chow
Humans, L to R...
First row sitting on floor: Nita F., BamaSherill, BamaMark,
JerryO.
Second row, sitting in chairs:
Red Dragon-Sam, Precious's Mom-Missi, TimbersMom-Kathy,
Vicster605-Vicki.
Third row, standing:
Sojourner11-Sean, Laurie (Vicki's friend and ours now!)
Marty (Husband of Nita, daddy to Mimi)

Image Sean with Solo, Noami and Lady

Image Colonel and Bennie the rug protecting the cooler of beer!

Image Laurie, Vicki and Sam with many chows

More latter, Colonel's ball just went off the deck and I have to fetch it for him... Isn't that a bit backwards?
Last edited by bama on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

What great pictures from Missi and Mark.
It looked like you guys had a wonderful time.

I sure have to chuckle remembering when Alan handed Colonel aka Simba over to you in Ohio...I don't think that you had an idea what Chows were all about then....bet that you couldn't imagine life without one now!!!! They sure are in a class all by themselves...aren't they?

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I had a great time and it was nice to put faces with the names. Wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to get back and tend to the rest of the crew.

Special thanks to Sherill and Mark for being such great hosts. And thanks to Vicky for grooming Betty for me! :lol: Thanks to Missi for all the great pictures, she got some really good photos.
Sam

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Yes, they are great pictures -- we realized we'd forgotten to take a group shot. Who's who in your group?
courtsey of Sweetpea
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

That's me in the red shirt on the back left side, the chunky guy. :lol:
Sam

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Hey Sam, you aren't even close to chunky! Did you check out my crew (the Forrest & Debbie pic) from our North Central thread? I ate 4 desserts yesterday! All my pooches are a little ponchy. More to love, although 5 or 10 pounds extra on Gilbert & Sullivan is not bad -- On Charlie it's a little scary -- but to hear him talk "he never eats" and he does walk 2-4 miles a day with the rest of the gang -- guess we just have fat genes and passed them down to the dogs :lol: :lol: :lol: .
courtsey of Sweetpea
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I have packed on some pounds in the last 6 months, almost didn't recognize myself in those pictures, I think I need to walk 2-4 miles a day after seeing that! :lol:
Sam

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I thought you were just muscular from that shot, Sam!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

If only that worked we'd be skeletans. I think weight is stress related, so I need to quit my job and school and just go to chowfests all the time (I thought I needed to get chow in there somewhere or I'd have to move the topic). It's never all the sweets I eat :lol: :cry: (yeah, I'm laughing and crying).
courtsey of Sweetpea
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Maybe that is the problem, I need to quit eating the Snickers and Three Musketeers. :lol: Oh, and Bama, I forgot to bring the Oatmeal Cookies up from the truck, those sure were good on the ride home! :lol:

From the looks of me I should have made the treak from the parking area to the house a few more time! :lol:
Sam

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Bama here....

Wow! We had a great time!!! Names WITH faces, human and chowren alike! It was a real pleasure for Mark and me to have everyone here!
At one time we had eleven people and 13 chows on the deck!!
Now that's a chowfest! (Lady is our honorary chow girl!)
Jerryo had the great idea for folks to bring BBQ or other foods, representive of their geographic locations.
The diverse Southern cultures were a hit...
Jerryo's Texas Brisket= Southwestern flair was the best I've ever eaten!
(By the way...thanks Jerry, your brisket saved the
day when my pork butt failed to be ready on time!)
Vicster605, aka, Vicki Boudin sausage, cajun sausage, and pralines were a definate Cajun treat!
Sojourner11, aka Sean had Georgia style BBQ sauce was truly a taste of the deep south.
Bama, aka me...my Moonshine BBQ sauce and White Lightning BBQ= was a "shot" of my hillbilly roots in the Arkansas Ozarks.
Nita F. and Marty's Kolash (sp?) was delicious!
Nita says it is a Hungarian favorite. I'm sure it's origin is from "Southern" Hungary, ya'll!
Precious's Mom" aka Missi and Naomi came over on Friday and worked in the yard to prep for chowfest!
Poor girl, she didn't know what she was getting into when she voluteered to help!! She was a real trooper!
Missi made name tags souvenirs for everyone. She also served as our official photographer! Good job Missi!

Evidently, we forgot to ask Colonel if he was ready for chowfest? At first, he wasn't so sure he liked Naomi or Lady...but in the end Colonel became a real ladies man, now... Lady and Naomi are in his "first five"!
Missi's Naomi, still a puppy was a little stinker...she has a real crush on Colonel!
Benny: "Excuse Me" he says, "I'm doing my bear skin rug impersonation here!"
Lady, greeted everyone with sweet slobbery kisses.
She would make a great Welcome Wagon Greeter!!
Kearra is a sweet little lady!
Kyra is a tomboy! She walks kinda like John Wayne!!
It's histerical!
Nita F.'s Mimi looks like Colonel's sister! She is a precious little mommy's girl, staying right under mommy's feet!
TimbersMom aka, Kathy's Timber found her long lost sister...Kearra!
Red Dragon aka Sam's Bette, was curious George! LuLu, well...LuLu reminded me of Hoss Cartright, remember him? TEE HEE
Sojourner11, aka Sean's, Hanna, a real beauty...is joining George Clooney with his struggle to ward off the paparazzi! She is camara shy!
Solo says, what only two chowboys here? I'm going home! She jumped on top of a rock was thinking of how to get to the other side! But decided to stay after all!
Emma, was happy just being with her daddy, Sean!

Life is good!

Sherill

[/b]
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sharon,

Now, Mark understands why I had to have
a chowkid! Wouldn't you know it...
Colonel is a daddy's boy!!!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

The cuisine, people, and chowdren all sound wonderful. You know, I think we had almost 50/50 boys/girls. 5 girls and 5-1/2 boys (Charlie). Am I forgetting someone in the count? I guess we northerners are into simpler barbecue, but having lived in the South -- nothing beats Southern barbecue from any region :!:
courtsey of Sweetpea