Southern (Alabama) Chowfest...Pics!

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Will you be at Bama's ChowFest?

Wild Chichuahuas couldn't keep me away!
60%
I can't get away from those wild Chihuahuas, sorry.
40%

Total votes: 15

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Southern (Alabama) Chowfest...Pics!

Post by bama »

What: (Ala) 'Bama ChowFest (Southern Style BBQ)

When: October 13, 2007 From early til dark.

Where: Bama's field in Birmingham, Alabama
(zip code: 35173)

Who's invited? CC.org members....YOU

PM me by October 1st, if you KNOW you are coming.

It will be on our property, in the field along the river. All the furkids would need to remain on a leash at all times, because we have a leash law, and our terrain is not conducive to catching a run away chow. :lol:
The field looks like a park, with lots of trees.
There is plenty of creek water for the chowdren to drink.

I'm getting very excited about Alabama Chowfest and meeting you humans and your chowdren!!!!

Originally, I had the idea that we could all chip in and order pizza, but... after much thought, that has changed...
I hope a change of menu; from ordering pizza to a southern BBQ meal makes everyone happy!
Ultimately, it will be more fun and less confusing to BBQ and at $10 for each adult, it's less money than pizza would have been.

Here's the Southern Menu:
Pulled pork with Ozark Hillbilly Moonshine BBQ sauce!
Sausage with Southern Peachy-Mustard sauce
Texas style BBQ brisket...courtesy of JerryO
Boudin...courtesy of Vicster605
Southern Style Baked Beans
Southern Cole Slaw
Cheesy grits
Southern Pecan Pie
Apple Crisp
Vinegar Pie
Southern Sweet Tea

General Info:
* On the trails and in the field, the chowdren should be on a leash.
* We do have a small fenced in back yard, so it's not like you really have to hold on to your chowdren constantly.
You can take a break...ah!

* You may want to bring lawn chairs, or a picnic blanket for yourselves. I'm not sure I have enough chairs?
Tables are not a problem.

***Important tidbit on shoes***
wear good fitting, trail hugging shoes!
Sandals, just won't do around here.
If you want to wade in the creek, sandals won't do there either. Wear some old tennis shoes or jellies that fit tightly around your feet, lest you fall on your behind!

HOTEL INFO:
List of pet friendly hotels:
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/trave ... gham.shtml

http://www.letsgopets.com/?src_aid=Glgp ... IgodwhLoBA

Update: 10/6/07The Jameson Inn has vacancies and they accept pets.
There is a $10 pet fee.
I highly recommend this motel, as it is nice, and only 2 minutes from my house!!!
(205) 661-9323

The Best Western and Days Inn by the airport are closest to me, since I live NE of Birmingham. These hotels are only 15-20 minutes away from Alabama ChowFest '07.

http://www.petswelcome.com/cgi-bin/bwframe.pl

For those who have asked about campgrounds...
http://www.alapark.com/parks/park.cfm?parkid=10
http://www.alapark.com/parks/park.cfm?parkid=9

Some of you have asked about camping in our field,
that should be fine, let me know if you are interested in doing this. Unfortunately, we don't have plumbing or electricity down in the field. Also, we can't have a camp fire, due to the fact we're in the city limits and we're in the midst of a historic drought...it's dry!
But, if you are a rugged type, camping in the field may appeal to you!

LIST OF FOLKS WHO ARE COMING:(I will add to this list as you contact me)

Vicster605
Jerryo
Precious' Mom
Sojourner11?
Chowfrnd88
Nita F.
Lise Carreno?
TimbersMom

**Just 3 posts down from here, there are photos of the location of 'Bama Chowfest 2007.

(this post has been edited and will be edited for the purpose of consolidating and updating chowfest info.
I'm getting so excited!!!!!

Sherill
Last edited by bama on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:49 am, edited 25 times in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

count me in
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

YES- Let us know what we can do to help??? Thats a perfect time to beat the heat :D
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Edited for consolidation, really it's a conspiracy to cover up the fact that I didn't know how to create a poll! :lol:

I thought it would help give you guys a better idea of what to expect. By seeing the terrain, I'm hoping you will be able to determine, what you may want to bring with you to chowfest.

Chowfest location pics...9-5-07From left to right, my back yard.

1) Backyard: Notice on photo one, the green field in the upper left background, just past the large old beech tree. That is the beginning of the open field. There is a trail from the back yard to the field. The entire field runs along the river.

2) The field. Photo taken just beyond the old beech tree.

3) See the brown clearing in the background? That is along the river. Also, you can see the back yard is not your typicall back yard. The new fence is a work in progress and I must say, my husband has worked his rear end off to get those posts buried in all that rock! The fence will be completed by chowfest.

4) Notice a little spot of water thru the trees in the upper right of the background. That is the river.

5) photo taken from far right of the yard, standing on the river's pebble beach, facing the house.

6) This is the pebble beach, looking back toward the house. View: toward river from the right side of backyard, while on top of the rock that Mark and Colonel are standing on in photo 5. Colonel demonstrates to his chowfriends the refreshing river water he will be sharing with them.
Last edited by bama on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

oh man! if you guys had it in like nov--april, when its freeeeezzzzing here, i may just have to get in the car with hemi and zeus, and get my butt down there! wish i could now though too :roll: :D

"If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain" - Dolly Parton
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Hey Colonel, Benny here. ]):)

I had my guy fix your mom's poll question. As soon as you are feeling better, you need to get back on her training. I know we both did our time running the free life on the streets, but once you take on a pack of human beans you have to stay on top of them ALL the time. At least you have your sisters to help out. Lady is useless when it comes to people training -- no concentration at all.

Get well soon, and I'll see you at ChowFest. :D ]):)

Lady :o) here. Don't listen to that fur pile! I'm as constipated as anybody! But at least he was right about one thing for ONCE -- Get well soon! and Princess Buttercup, too! :D :o)
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Oh yes, we would most definitely be there! And glad to help Bama out however we can!!!

Missi and the girls
Missi

created by the AMAZINGLY TALENTED sweetpea
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

jerryo wrote:Hey Colonel, Benny here. ]):)

I had my guy fix your mom's poll question. As soon as you are feeling better, you need to get back on her training. I know we both did our time running the free life on the streets, but once you take on a pack of human beans you have to stay on top of them ALL the time. At least you have your sisters to help out. Lady is useless when it comes to people training -- no concentration at all.

Get well soon, and I'll see you at ChowFest. :D ]):)

Lady :o) here. Don't listen to that fur pile! I'm as constipated as anybody! But at least he was right about one thing for ONCE -- Get well soon! and Princess Buttercup, too! :D :o)
Benny,
Thanks pardner for fixin' this post. I like the title of the post!!! :lol: :lol: Benny, does your sister, Lady have cooties, like my little sisters? :lol:
Princess Buttercup here...
Lady, how lovely of you to inquire of my health.
I am feeling quite spry these days, thank you! :D
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
chris

Post by chris »

Steel here...

Mom says that we are going to leave this one open. It's a heck of a drive, but we have relatives out there. she said we could get in her chowmobile and head out Friday as it would be an all day drive.. stay saturday and then head back out on sunday. (Benny... have you seen the chowicopter? is it ready yet? that would be much faster)

Over and Out.
Steel
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Sorry, Exhausted Leader.

We still haven't been able to locate a usable framastat for the Chowicopter, and Special Dark says he can't recalibrate the geezzledorf without it. :roll:

Benny ]):)
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Nah, Colonel ChowBro, Lady doesn't seem to have cooties at the moment. She's probably too dumb to even keep a cootie interested. :D

What I want to know is how she takes all my food, and is still not getting too fat to move. :D

Woof On,
Benny ]):)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

LOL, wild chihuhuas couldn't keep us away. :D The timing sounds great too.

That's right, I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done without the framastat, the geezzledorf absolutely cannot be recalibrated without it. I know a shiba inu who knows a dalmation who know a St. Bernard who knows a shih tzu who knows a yorkie who knows a corgi who knows a shar pei mix who knows a rottie who knows a shepherd who knows an Alaskan malamute who may may or may not have seen one...I'm on it!
Over and out, Special D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chris

Post by chris »

Ok, Good thinking Benny... Special forces is on it Per Sgt. Special D.

Over
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

bump
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh! Oh! Oooooooooooooooooooooooh!
Is there a chowicopter! Is there one??????
We could come in the chowicopter if Steel hasn't mended his aeroplane.
Oh we do want to go to the Chowfest but we think we cannot>
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Love from Milly and Mabel.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Judy,

Here is the States we have a set of buxom blonde twins, who are called, "The Budwieser Twins". They provide the *Censored Word* appeal for the Budwieser Beer commercials.

If there was a contest for canine Budwieser Twins, I believe Millie and Mabel would take the prize!

Wish you and the "twins" could come to Bama Chowfest.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well Milly and Mabel think they are coming anyway - they are hoping that Steel will have found the missing part for his aeroplane or maybe even the chowicopter!! 8-} :laughloud:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Bump...
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Bama:
Can the parents come w/o the chowlings? I realize it's a chow fest - but our cholwings do not ride well. The vet is less that a mile from the house & by the time hubby & I get there our nerves are shot from all thw hinning & wimpering.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

3blackchows wrote:Bama:
Can the parents come w/o the chowlings? I realize it's a chow fest - but our cholwings do not ride well. The vet is less that a mile from the house & by the time hubby & I get there our nerves are shot from all thw hinning & wimpering.
Of course, chow parents are very welcome!
One stipulation...you bring plenty of photos of your chowkids!! :wink:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

3blackchows wrote:Bama:
I am wondering, if one starts, they all chime in? What if you were to travel to bama with one chow?

I only have one chow, I haven't a clue what it's like to be with multiple chows.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Since some of the families will have more tnan one furkid, there should be some loaners available for those arriving Chowless. Or we can all share! :D But like the hostess said, you gotta bring your Chow's weight of pictures.
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Jerryo I like the way you think!

We've never had them all int car at once, it's frustrating enough just having one in the car thats whinning. Irish is the worst. Nothing I say or do comforts him. I even tried putting on elevator music & jazz... nothing works.
They pace back & forth & whine. If you turn the radio up to tune his whinning out, he just gets louder.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

If I still have Ziyear you can take him and pretend he is yours!
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Just as an experiment you might want to try putting them ALL in the car at once to see what happens. Benny loves car rides, but when Lady first moved in on us, she hated being in the car. The only way I got her to her first Vet appointment was to put Benny in the car first. She still rode all the way there with her head pushed into my chest, shaking. On the way back, she got into the back seat with Benny and went to sleep. It could be that your guys are afraid to ride alone.