Looking for a Boston area Chow meet-up.

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

juliana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for a Boston area Chow meet-up.

Post by juliana »

Hello,

I'm a first time Chow owner with a lovely boy, Baloo, who is about 14 months now. I live just outside of Boston and I have literally never seen another Chow around. People stop me on the street all the time and say, "oh, I grew up with Chows! he's so beautiful!" or "oh, I just saw a Chow the other day!" etc. etc., but I've never seen one! The only other Chow Chow I've seen since I've had Baloo is one very old and grumpy red lady on Cape Cod with an owner who in my humble opinion was not as attentive as he could have been.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here lives in the Boston area and would be interested in organizing some sort of monthly meet-up. It would be great to talk to other (current) Chow owners, share tips or methods or issues, and socialize our pups together. Do respond if you're interested! Thanks.

-Juliana
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Looking for a Boston area Chow meet-up.

Post by Rory's Dad »

Juliana, i am a chow owner south of Boston. Mansfield to be exact. I own a 2 year old male and an 8 month old female currently. Neither are fixed as they both show in AKC confirmation events.

Both my chows are very social and we are always looking for meet up opportunities. We are away most weekends for show events (falmouth this weekend, and Shelton CT next week).

The Northest Chow Chow Breeders Association (NECCBA) is a new Chow club in our area and is really looking to build meet up type events. Most of the officers show their dogs, but it certainly isnt limited to that type of dog.

Shoot me an email. If we are close, we can definitely do a meet up. Send me any questions you may have. My current dogs are my 3rd and 4th chows. I have owned chows for over 15 years. Probably havent seen it all, but do have a good base of knowledge.

Welcome to the forum, look forward to hearing from you.
murpleberry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by murpleberry »

WOW, I am from Boston as well! East Boston to be exact! Few minutes from the downtown area if I drive and 30-45 if I take the MBTA. It would be great if we can have an event where we can all meet up with our Chows and have them socialized! I do want my puppy to get the hang of meeting everybody and everything to get him familiarized!
Dedicated to my fuzzball, Simba!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I am heading out to Springfield this weekend with the dogs for a show, but if all goes according to plan, we should have the next few weeks open...Rory, my 2 year old male should finish his campaign on Sunday. Amber, my female is going to need some remedial Show lessions if she survives the weekend.

My dogs love car rides. I work in the financial district, so am in Boston proper frequently. Point being, dont worry about travel, if there are any suitable sites near you, we can visit.

No details set yet, but i do believe the Chow club is going to organize some socail events as well.

As i said, i will be in Springfield for a confirmation event Sat and Sun this upcoming weekend. There are 8 Chows entered for that event if you are inclined to head west.

If you want to take a roadtrip south, there is also an AKC Meet and Greet Event in Hartford, CT on Sunday. My dogs were originally scheduled to be at that event, but had a conflict and will be at the confirmation show instead (hopefully my male will be finishing his CH designation). NECCBA will have several dogs there with the different colors being represented. When my dogs were slated to be there, they would be on grooming tables, available for interaction, and practicing for CGC certs. It should be the same with the other Chows.

Outside of all that, we could just try to find a spot to let the dogs hang out. We do not have any dog parks in my area, but as i said we can commute in your direction.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

I'm pretty sure this would be fun!! It's good to meet others and socialized! Please do update us on your meet up!